OHIO-Restaurant Carry

This is a discussion on OHIO-Restaurant Carry within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Yeah, I am surprised (pleasantly) that there haven't been more guns stolen in the car parks of Ohio's restaurants. If I were a thief, I ...

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: OHIO-Restaurant Carry

VIP Member
    Yeah, I am surprised (pleasantly) that there haven't been more guns stolen in the car parks of Ohio's restaurants. If I were a thief, I would see this as a target rich environment.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

2. Remove Ads

I hope this Passes!

I think it will.
    Exodus 22:2 "If a thief is caught breaking in and is struck so that he dies, the defender is not guilty of bloodshed"

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    Yeah, I am surprised (pleasantly) that there haven't been more guns stolen in the car parks of Ohio's restaurants. If I were a thief, I would see this as a target rich environment.
    I am always somewhat apprehensive when I have to lock my gun in my truck. I have a gun safe that slides under the seat and the truck has an alarm, which makes stealing my gun a bit more difficult that a "snatch and grab", but even so, I don't like to leave it unattended. And I won't leave it in a parking lot at night unless it is well lit! Walking to and from your vehicle is the most dangerous time anyway! I hope the legislature finally gets it together and gets this bill passed into law--and the sooner the better!
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

VIP Member
    Yesterday, the House Government and Elections committee had a hearing on the bill. Apparently there were 8 amendments attached to the bill. The most ludicrous of which seeks to retroactively revoke the 5th amendment (US Constitution) rights of all Ohio CHL permit holders, current and future, to require submission to alcohol testing at any time regardless of whether you are carrying a gun at the time of the request. For more details and a call to action - via phone, not e-mail as the e-mail system is overloaded right now because of issue 5, click here.

I suspect this will be righted and move on to pass, this is just the machinations of any governing body.

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

The machinations of a member of the committee who happens to be a liberal Democrat. Gee, why am I not surprised! His 8 amendments would virtually gut the entire bill and make it meaningless! Just another tactic by the liberal anti-gunners to delay things. I sure hope the other members are smart enough to rapidly reject all 8 amendments and move the bill forward!
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

VIP Member
    Updates?
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

House committee passed the bill by a vote of 12-10. All the Democrats voted against it. Now the full House will vote on it very soon, possibly even tomorrow.

Restaurant & Car Carry Rules Fix legislation (HB45) passes House committee
    dsee11789 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by rtroha View Post
    House committee passed the bill by a vote of 12-10. All the Democrats voted against it. Now the full House will vote on it very soon, possibly even tomorrow.

Great news! Thanks for the update. Hope the progress keeps on progressen' !

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rtroha View Post

Did they strip the 8 amendments from it? I have been too busy with work to even look at this today.

ETA Updated Info - I finally got time to look this info up.

HB45 voted out of committee and to the House floor
    Written by Gary Witt, OFCC legislative coordinator
    Tuesday, 15 March 2011 23:08
    House Bill 45, which lifts the restriction on concealed carry in establishments with a Class D liquor permit, and improves the laws dealing with firearm handling in a motor vehicle, had its 6th hearing before the House State Government and Elections Committee today (March 15).

Of the eight amendments distributed for consideration (but not formally introduced) last week, one amendment was withdrawn and seven were rejected by the committee on party line votes, most of which were 13 to 9. HB45 was voted out of committee (12 to 10), with one republican (Richard Hollington) voting against the bill. OFCC shortly will obtain committee members' voting records on the amendments as well as on the vote to send the bill to the House floor.

HB45 now proceeds to the House floor for debate and vote. The floor is controlled by the Speaker of the House, Rep. William Batcheler (R), District 69. The next House session is set for March 16 at 1:30. It is unknown if HB45 will be scheduled for a vote this soon after leaving committee. The next House sessions fall on March 22 at 11 a.m., and March 23 at 1:30 p.m.

Please call your representatives and encourage them to vote for HB45, a long overdue refinement to Ohio's concealed carry laws. This bill puts Ohio in step with the 43 other states that allow concealed carry in establishments that serve alcohol.
    Last edited by ksholder; March 16th, 2011 at 04:58 PM.

I've attended all of the hearings. All of the amendments were killed, so the bill moves out of the committee as it was introduced. We don't know if it will go to the House floor yet next week, but keep an eye at
    Buckeye Firearms Association | Defending Your Firearm Rights for any updates. Votes were cast along party lines, except one Republican also voted against us. Keep Rep. Hollington's name in mind as being anti-gun. Biggest disappointment was that 3 of the democrats that were endorsed by Buckeye Firearms and the NRA voted against us.
    Member of the National Rifle Association's Board of Directors
    www.BuckeyeFirearms.org Buckeye Firearms Association Central OH Chair
    NRA Instructor/CCW Instructor/Realtor
    2009 NRA Sybil Ludington Women's Freedom Award Recipient

VIP Member
    Thanks for the updates. :)
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I hope it passes soon, I assume the governor will sign it. My wife and I are admitted "foodies" who dine out frequently, Ohio does not get money or any tax revenue from us because of this law, I would love to cross the river and eat but I will not be unprotected, especially in downtown Cincinnati.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

VIP Member
    Making Progress - Got the following by e-mail today.

Next week, the House of Representatives is expected to vote on House Bill 45 and House Bill 54.

Introduced by state Representatives Danny Bubp (R-88) and Terry Johnson (R-89), HB 45 would eliminate the current confusing standards of carrying a firearm in a motor vehicle. In addition, the proposal would also allow permit holders to carry a firearm for self-defense in a restaurant that serves alcohol, provided they are not consuming alcohol, thus eliminating another “victim zone” in Ohio.

This legislation is a critical step forward to help assure that law-abiding license holders are not arrested for accidentally carrying their firearm in a prohibited manner.

In addition House Bill 54, “Restoration of Rights” legislation, passed out of the House Criminal Justice Committee by a 8 to 3 vote and is scheduled for consideration on the House floor vote next week also.
    Sponsored by state Representatives Ron Maag (R-35) and Jarrod Martin (R-70), HB 54 would bring Ohio in compliance with Federal law to provide for the restoration of firearm rights for certain individuals.

Please contact your state Representative TODAY and urge him or her to support HB 45 and HB 54 when they come up for a floor vote next week. Let your state Representative know that these are two much needed pro-gun reforms for Ohioans. Contact information for your state Representative

VIP Member
    Looks like the House vote is on Wednesday of this week. See the e-mail I received today below.

Ohio: Vote on Two Pro-Gun Bills Expected in the House of Representatives This Wednesday
    Please call your state Representative Today!

This Wednesday, the House of Representatives is expected to vote on House Bill 45 and House Bill 54.

Introduced by state Representatives Danny Bubp (R-88) and Terry Johnson (R-89), HB 45 would eliminate the current confusing standards of carrying a firearm in a motor vehicle. In addition, the proposal would also allow permit holders to carry a firearm for self-defense in a restaurant that serves alcohol, provided they are not consuming alcohol, thus eliminating another “victim zone” in Ohio.

This legislation is a critical step forward to help assure that law-abiding license holders are not arrested for accidentally carrying their firearm in a prohibited manner.

In addition House Bill 54, “Restoration of Rights” legislation, passed out of the House Criminal Justice Committee by a 8 to 3 vote and is scheduled for consideration on the House floor vote next week also.
    Sponsored by state Representatives Ron Maag (R-35) and Jarrod Martin (R-70), HB 54 would bring Ohio in compliance with Federal law to provide for the restoration of firearm rights for certain individuals.

Please contact your state Representative TODAY and urge him or her to support HB 45 and HB 54 when they come up for a floor vote this Wednesday. Let your state Representative know that these are two much needed pro-gun reforms for Ohioans. Contact information for your state Representative or help identifying your state Representative can be found here.

Well, time to e-mail my state reps again.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links