OHIO-Restaurant Carry

This is a discussion on OHIO-Restaurant Carry within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This is a good time for all of us in Ohio to make the call and reach to our 2nd amendment buddies and get them ...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: OHIO-Restaurant Carry

This is a good time for all of us in Ohio to make the call and reach to our 2nd amendment buddies and get them to do the same. Let's get this one passed and signed and come into the modern world.
    It's not a problem til they make it one!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Well, I just read today's House Journal. It does not look like they voted on it today. The notes indicate that they will be back in session tomorrow morning, maybe then...
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

For some reason, Speaker of the House Batchelder has been dragging his feet about scheduling a floor vote. The House calendar shows it's not scheduled for Tuesday 4/12 either. The House goes on a two week Spring recess after 4/14 and won't be back until 5/3.

If they delay too long and don't get the bill to the Senate fairly soon, the Senate won't have time to pass it. Once summer recess starts in June, they won't be back until after Labor Day.

OK then time to flood our ELECTED officials with letters and calls
    It's not a problem til they make it one!

for you guys in Ohio, i hope it passes. And for me and my wife and kids I hope it does as well. there are a few things we'd like to come to Ohio and see, but we aren't going to if we can't protect ourselves when we go to dinner.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    Any news? Nothing in the local paper.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

The Ohio Senate passed a restaurant carry bill this afternoon. That now goes to the House. Now the House has two restaurant carry bills to deal with.

FLASH: Ohio Senate passes SB17 (Restaurant & Car Carry Rules Fix) and SB61 (Restoration of Rights)

However, after tomorrow the House goes into a two week recess and won't be back until May 3rd. Hopefully, something will get passed in May. If the House passes the Senate bill, it will go right to the Governor's desk.

VIP Member
    Here is the full text from an e-mail I got from the NRA this morning. It looks like the senate moved much faster than the house has. Hopefully we can get this done before summer.

Ohio Senate Passes Two Pro-Gun Bills;
    Bills Now Moves to the House

Today, the full Senate passed two important pro-gun reform bills. Senate Bill 17 would clarify carrying a firearm in a motor vehicle and allow a permit holder to carry a firearm in a restaurant and Senate Bill 61 would restore gun rights for certain individuals.

SB 17 passed by a 25 to 7 vote (roll call vote). Introduced by state Senator Tim Schaffer (R-31), SB l7 would also eliminate the current confusing standards of carrying a firearm in a motor vehicle. In addition, this proposal would also allow permit holders to carry a firearm for self-defense in a restaurant that serves alcohol, provided they are not consuming alcohol, thus eliminating another “victim zone” in Ohio.

SB 61 passed by a 27 to 5 vote (roll call vote). Introduced by state Senator Jason Wilson (D-30), SB 61 would bring Ohio in compliance with federal law to provide for the restoration of firearm rights for certain individuals.

Both bills now move to the House of Representatives for consideration. No action is needed at this time and the NRA will keep you posted on the status of SB 17 and SB 61.

This alert is posted to NRA-ILA :: Ohio Senate Passes Two Pro-Gun Bills; Bills Now Moves to the House

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

The Dayton Daily News had an article yesterday and the local TV stations mentioned it last night. They all focus on carrying guns in BARS!!!!! OMG!!! Scary, scary, scary!!! I doubt if even one of the newscasters or reporters has actually read or understands what the proposed legislation covers. They all keep saying "bars". The legislation is about carrying into establishments that have a license to serve alcohol by the drink--such as Applebees, Olive Garden, and all the other restaurants, other than fast food or Cracker Barrell, that have a license to sell alcohol. It would also allow carrying at open air events as well. As I understand it, you still can't carry into your neighborhood "gin joint", i.e., plain old bar! But of course, reporting that the bill would allow one to concealed carry into a "restaurant" rather than a "bar" is not as attention grabbing and would not generate the emotional response that the media wants!

See the title of the bill below:

To amend section 2923.121 of the Revised Code to allow a concealed carry licensee who is not consuming liquor and is not under the influence to carry a concealed handgun in a retail food establishment or food service operation with any class liquor permit issued for the location.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

The Ohio Restaurant Association and the Ohio FOP are both fighting to keep this bill from passing. House Speaker Batchelder told the Dayton Daily News he is not sure if he has enough votes to pass the bill. If Ohio gun owners want this bill to pass, they better contact their state representative and tell them so.

Here's an article from the Columbus Dispatch:

Restaurants' opposition might stop gun bill in House | Columbus Dispatch Politics

VIP Member
    Good thing the whole house is up for re-election in 2012. Legislators making decisions based on emotion over fact (like the experience of many other states with similar legilsation that has been in plae for years) should be retired at the ballot box in 2012. Fortunately, my rep and senator are in the "for" column on this bill.

My rep and senator are in the "for" column as well. But I guess us Ohioan's aren't as "civilized" as the citizens in the 42 other states that allow carrying in restaurants and bars. (sarcasm) We here in Ohio can't be trusted to go into establishments where alcohol is served because Ohioans aren't strong willed enough to resist drinking if we are in a place where it is served and if we get drunk and the bartender cuts us off, we are liable to loose our cool and pull out a gun and start "blasting' the place up!! Also, if we have a disagreement about something, someone is liable to pull their gun and start a shootout like in the old wild west! And if guns are concealed, how will bartenders and/or waitresses know that they aren't supposed to serve you? These are some of the stupid, emotional, irrational arguments I have heard being spouted on the news and in the paper against the bill!
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

VIP Member
    Update?
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

VIP Member
    Dear Representative Letson,

I just wanted to take the time to send you this e-mail in the hopes that I can draw your attention to some upcoming legislation that is very important to me. The bill is the Restaurant carry Bill (HB45/SB17). The purpose of this bill is to allow the carrying of concealed firearms into restaurants that serve alcohol.

The media would have you believe that this bill is about guns in bars, it is not. It is about places like Olive Garden, Applebee's and the Outback. It's about a nice dinner out with my wife and kids, not about people getting drunk with guns

As a holder of an Ohio CCW license I take the safety of my family and of myself very seriously. I also do my very best to uphold and follow the law to the letter. Under our current law this means that I can't go into any of the restaurants listed above or the myriad of others like them. In other words, I can't take my wife out for a nice steak dinner without leaving my gun unattended in my car (unsafe!) or becoming a criminal. As the law currently reads, I choose neither and end up in the drive through lane or just stay home. I'd like you to change that.

I'm taking this time to ask you to vote yes on Restaurant carry (HB45/SB17). Your vote is very important to me and thousands just like me. I believe that last time you voted against this bill. I'm asking you to change your mind.

42 other States allow for carry into restaurants that serve alcohol and none of them have suddenly had a rash of "wild West" type shoot outs. None have had any increase in crime, not one (although there are still some people using that tired old argument here in Ohio).

I'd also like to point out that it would still be illegal to CONSUME alcohol while carrying a firearm under this statute. Please vote yes on Restaurant carry (HB45/SB17) because my wife and I are tired of eating at McDonald's.

Thank you for your time and for serving us,

Tim N
    640girl likes this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Update?
    As I said in post #37, the House in its Easter recess right now until May 3rd. The media drumbeat against this bill is pretty fierce.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links