OHIO-Restaurant Carry

This is a discussion on OHIO-Restaurant Carry within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was watching for a while, but some of the debate is so off the wall I had to turn it off for my sanity....

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: OHIO-Restaurant Carry

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    I was watching for a while, but some of the debate is so off the wall I had to turn it off for my sanity.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

2. Remove Ads

Thanks buckeyeLCPL,
    I'll be brief so as to not hijack this thread. Very pleasant, saw the granddaughters, went to the zoo, etc. Only excitement was going back to the motel on the freeway after a dinner downtown. Pouring down rain. I was in the #2 on the freeway only going 55 as I could feel how "light" the car was on the puddles. A guy goes by me in the #1 at 65 of better, gets 2-3 car lengths in front of me and spins out across three lanes. He wound up on the shoulder facing the wrong way. Overall nice trip.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

VIP Member
    The arguments are very interesting. A couple of the anti's have equated concealed carry permit holders with criminals.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    The arguments are very interesting. A couple of the anti's have equated concealed carry permit holders with criminals.
    I liked the Rep from Lebanon, who pointed out that it has nothing to do with drinking and carrying a gun, because that is illegal under the proposed law. It has to do with carrying a firearm in a place that serves alcohol, without drinking.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    I carry under LEOSA, which is exempt from such laws and already has case law out of SD affirming that.
    Ah glad to hear, I see sentiments that amount to breaking the law now and then, and it worries me that people don't realize just what they are risking.

VIP Member
    The bill passed. Yeah!!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

56 for, 39 against
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

VIP Member
    Now - will the Gov sign it? We shall see...

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    The bill passed. Yeah!!!!

Fantastic! Now I just need to figure out whether my rep voted for or against, so I know what to say when I call her tomorrow and share my sentiments, hehe. Time to go google it up!

VIP Member
    Just a reminder to all - this bill has passed the senate and a companion bill just passed the house. It is not yet law. The Gov still has to sign it.

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    The day it is signed I will take the wife and friends to Jeff Ruby's Precinct for dinner and drop a large amount of taxable cash in Ohio. Not to mention the tip. I do a lot of business entertaining and maybe Ohio will get some of the money that until now stayed in KY. The anti debate was disgusting, I really need to not watch that stuff...
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kapnketel View Post
    The anti debate was disgusting, I really need to not watch that stuff...
    If you actually thought they knew what they were talking about, it would have been scary. They just kept droning on about inane issues.

The one guy had a sad story about his mom, but it was not germane to the discussion. She shot his dad (not fatally) and apparently it was ruled justified, as it sounded it would be from the story. She then, years later, is fatally shot by a boyfriend who was both drunk and armed. Even though the bill in question clearly states that the CCW holder cannot be both armed and consuming alcohol, he uses this unfortunate set of circumstances to tell people not to vote for the bill. Has he had some sadness in his life? To be sure. Was it relevant to CCW in a restaurant? Not at all.

HB 45 has to go to the Senate now, not the Governor. The Senate version contains an amendment not found in the House bill.

BFA has a story on theor web site about all this:

FLASH: Ohio House passes HB45 (Restaurant & Car Carry Rules Fix) and HB54 (Restoration of Rights)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rtroha View Post
    HB 45 has to go to the Senate now, not the Governor.
    You are correct. I was just trying to remind people in all the excitement that this is not yet law and won't be til the Gov signs it.

While we are discussing the legislative track, the bill does have to go back to the senate since the house did not act on the senate bill. Call your senators and let them know you want this on the Gov's desk before the summer recess.

The senate should pass it without any problems. I just hope the governor signs it into law. He previously said he would, but I've heard rumors about him wavering lately because of the police chiefs and Restaurant Owners Assoc. opposition and his own future political aspirations. Personally, I do not trust him! It didn't pass by enough votes to be veto proof.
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links