Guy buys home next to gun club, files suit to shut the club down. Bad precedent risk.

Guy buys home next to gun club, files suit to shut the club down. Bad precedent risk.

This is a discussion on Guy buys home next to gun club, files suit to shut the club down. Bad precedent risk. within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The Lewistown pistol club in PA is currently facing a threat from a neighbor who bought a home next to the club, then turned around ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Guy buys home next to gun club, files suit to shut the club down. Bad precedent risk.

The Lewistown pistol club in PA is currently facing a threat from a neighbor who bought a home next to the club, then turned around to try and get the range shut down. This information came to me from a bullseye mailing list, but I thought it was important for the gun community at large to hear it.

If he's successful, it'll set a precedent that state laws prohibiting discharging firearms near homes apply even when people build homes near safely operated gun ranges. In the meantime, it's costing this club a huge amount of money. As a result of this attack, they had to cancel shooting sport competitions, and have lost a contract to let law enforcement train at the range.

If you don't want to live next to a gun club, buy a house somewhere else. There are plenty of people who'd love to life next to one. More information on their web site at http://lewistownpistolclub.com/

Sounds like a rabid anti that wanted the range shut down all along, & buying the near-by house to justifying filing suit was no more than a means to that end.

Otherwise, if jet aircraft noise bothers you, don't move close to an airport!
    Asked by a CNN reporter "What do you feel when you shoot a terrorist"?, the Marine sniper simply shrugged & replied "recoil".

Now more than ever, we are at war on our home soil ... WAKE UP & arm our troops when they are on home soil!

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I see a counter-suit in the making. Loss of income, mental anguish, yadda-yadda. I don't think the guy can win but...
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Unfortunately, this seems to be part of a trend. There's a range down near Melbourne here in FL (Malabar gun club, I think). The range/gun club has been there for a long time, but within the past decade people have been building houses and other stuff around there. Not right next to the range, mind you, but closer and closer to it. And now there's a controversy because there's a school sort of close by, but not really. Are you kidding me?! The gun club was there WAY before you were ever there!

It's the same crap they use against race tracks. build a 1/4-1/2million dollar sub division across the street and bring the entrance in from the other road and nobody ever asks how loud a 410 sprint is before they buy the house. Sometimes you just want to slap stupid people. Personally if the club predates the house there should be no issue.

This happens all the time in every aspect of "country living".
    Folks build a business, a dog kennel, a pig farm, a shooting range, then find Joe City building next to them in a few years and the new 'burb is squawking about something. And because the township is trying to grow, it costs the business money to stay afloat until it drives them under. Good luck with that.

Here's your sign!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

A bunch of people bought houses right off the end of an Air Force runway here, with B2 bombers and F16's. Then they filed a lawsuit against the noise of the airplanes landing and taking off. There was a "fobidden flight zone" off the end of the runway due to it for a long time. Initially they won the lawsuit, which meant they would have to MOVE the runway.... you heard me, MOVE the runway. It was appealed, and eventually.... the appellate and Supreme Courts ruled the runway was there first, and if they were dumb enough to buy the house and then complain about noise, then they were dumb and it was their problem.

I think the 'boy's' always gave it a little extra .... when coming over those houses after that.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Not the first, won't be the last.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by gilliland87 View Post
    It's the same crap they use against race tracks. build a 1/4-1/2million dollar sub division across the street and bring the entrance in from the other road and nobody ever asks how loud a 410 sprint is before they buy the house. Sometimes you just want to slap stupid people. Personally if the club predates the house there should be no issue.
    The best race track in Arkansas fell victim to this exact same "scheme" a few years back. A few local businesses went out of business after losing their saturday night income from the racing crowd...but, the idiots that bought houses next to a race track, and then complained about noise are happy. These situations are very discouraging. We just have to keep making our voices heard, whether or not we notice an immediate effect, and hope for the best throughout the process.

I wish the range in this case the best of luck in dealing with the idiots of the country.

Thanks God Ohio has an immunity for ranges so long as they adhere to NRA range guidelines.

Ill buy the house for a buck...easy commute to the range. LOL
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Senior Member Array digitalexplr's Avatar
    We had a similar case here in Missouri. Ultimately the range won and the legislature enacted new legislation to prevent such law suits in the future.
    NRA Life Member

There was a similar case in Maryland a while back. The judge made quick work of it. Range was built in the 1940's. Houses built in the 1980's. They were there first. If you hate the noise that much, move!
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

This one in Charlotte has been going on for a long time. IIRC, it's close to getting the the NC Supreme Court. The guy is a Dr. and the range is on his property. From what I gather, he intends to follow this through. FWIW, the subdivision they built beside him is huge, with homes in the 700k to 3 million range. DOH!!!

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...f-concern.html
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links