Churches wrestle with guns in the pews

This is a discussion on Churches wrestle with guns in the pews within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Article in USA Today. The owner of my LGS said he believes we'll see an increase of pastors and other community leaders getting their CCL; ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Churches wrestle with guns in the pews

Article in USA Today.

The owner of my LGS said he believes we'll see an increase of pastors and other community leaders getting their CCL; a friend who teaches CC classes told me he recently taught a class of pastors and leaders of a local church; my brother is one of several pastors in a megachurch in the Toledo area who carry.

I read recently that it is estimated one in 25 people in our society are sociopaths. Houses of worship are not exempt, and most have at least a few troubled people seeking answers to the stresses of daily life.
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.

Quote Originally Posted by Skippys View Post
    I read recently that it is estimated one in 25 people in our society are sociopaths. Houses of worship are not exempt, and most have at least a few troubled people seeking answers to the stresses of daily life.
    Not exempt may be an understatement. I've heard that they tend to hide in organizations like churches to appear more main stream. Regardless, any time any where. Anyone that thinks Church is an exception has not paid much attention to the news.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

I only know of two people at my church that cc, myself and another retired MD Trooper.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Well as a pastor, there is precious little "wrestling" on my end. Next month I will get my NRA instructor certs and begin teaching CCW courses for anyone who wants it at our church! :) For me, responsible armed congregants are not a concern.

The ridiculous part of this article, in my mind, is the idea of "There are three armed people shooting at each other in a church...how will the police know who is the good guy and who is the bad guy?" SERIOUSLY? Any active shooter scenario will be LONG over before LEO arrives. They will be there to do interviews, take pictures, etc. They will NOT be there to stop the carnage. The Tucson shootings reminded us all of that, because long before PCSO or Tucson PD got there, the crowd had subdued the murderer. That is no slight on those agencies either, they just have too much lag time in reporting and then responding to even think about making it to an active shooter scenario.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

No carriers in my church! Of course when I attended a licensing course I was greeted by 3 of them. I feel safer in church because of these 3 men.

Distinguished Member Array tcox4freedom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MinistrMalic View Post
    Well as a pastor, there is precious little "wrestling" on my end. Next month I will get my NRA instructor certs and begin teaching CCW courses for anyone who wants it at our church! :) For me, responsible armed congregants are not a concern.

The ridiculous part of this article, in my mind, is the idea of "There are three armed people shooting at each other in a church...how will the police know who is the good guy and who is the bad guy?" SERIOUSLY? Any active shooter scenario will be LONG over before LEO arrives. They will be there to do interviews, take pictures, etc. They will NOT be there to stop the carnage. The Tucson shootings reminded us all of that, because long before PCSO or Tucson PD got there, the crowd had subdued the murderer. That is no slight on those agencies either, they just have too much lag time in reporting and then responding to even think about making it to an active shooter scenario.
    I agree!
    We have an active CC group in our church; and a armed security team. We even have emergency and SHTF "prepper" classes. The world has become MUCH more dangerous in recent years and those in love with a secular society HATE the "Christian" church.

God wants us to be prepared for the worst case scenario that is coming upon the earth one day.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I can worship and protect myself at the same time anywhere. Whether that happens to be in church is up to the church. The state has wisely stayed out of it.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    Arkansas doesn't allow CC in church. We are trying to change that. However as the pastor I'm allowed to carry as it is considered my place of work. Honest people legally carrying should never be a problem.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

I carry (Lead Pastor). My assistant pastor carries. Previous pastor carries. Teaching pastor shoots regularly. At least one other very active member regularly carries. I know of 3 retired LE, who carry at least some of the time. THANK GOD for the Gunshine state!

I doubt that you have more troubled people in church than elsewhere, but there are certainly some. Running into 2 of them in 2 weeks a few years ago is what got me started down this path in the first place.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    I only know of two people at my church that cc, myself and another retired MD Trooper.

I have just retired w/ 36yrs in the Pastoral Ministry. I have been teaching Personal Defense as a pt time job for nearly 10yrs now. Started teaching the Texas CHL class 9 months ago. when we go to church now every church has at least 3 armed & pretty well trained folks there. Mom (80 & still hits what she shoots at.), me & wife. Last church I pastored had at least 7 CHLs that I know of & I had the privilege of training all of them to one extent or another. They have all been on my range.
    Churches are not respected as they used to be.
    Carry 24-7 or guess right.
    NRA Life Member/TSRA Life Member
    Texas CHL Instructor. www.pdtraining.us

Distinguished Member Array Chaplain Scott's Avatar
    3 of us from our church went to Front Sight the fisrt week of Feb and I'd say that fully 1/3 of our class were from churches.........
    Scott, US Army 1974-2004

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children what it was once like in the United States where men were free.
    - Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Gunnutty View Post
    Arkansas doesn't allow CC in church. We are trying to change that. However as the pastor I'm allowed to carry as it is considered my place of work. Honest people legally carrying should never be a problem.
    I'll never understand how a State has any say in the matter when it comes to a church. Churches are private property! They should choose for themselves.

VIP Member
    When I moved to Ohio I had to take a CCW class (my military training didn't count). I took my class at a church. I attended with about 4 or 5 deacons and the head Pastor. I decided that I liked this church and I am now a member.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Story from our local Fox affiliate broadcast tonight on the 10PM news segment. As the former two-term Governor that has previously thwarted efforts to pass church carry is no longer in office, the anti forces have taken the initiative to begin shaping the discussion in anticipation of pro-church legislation being once again drafted this session. There is strong support for it in Georgia and it stands a good chance of passing the Assembly. Further, the new gov gave indication that he would sign it into law if memory serves. There is little risk for him and a very good number of voters that he'd endear himself to by keeping his word, since the gun grabbers voted for the other guy. Although popular support for church carry is sizable and the opposition mainly isolated to Atlanta, the press is unabashedly biased toward the gun-control forces in this town, so we expect a earnest fight for the minds of the voters by the tv and newspaper establishment, especially for those voters from within Atlanta proper. This is just the first salvo, I'm sure.

http://www.myfoxatlanta.com/dpp/news...-church-021511
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

I'm so glad to now be living in a state where it is legal for my to carry in church. I know many others that do as well around here.
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links