Defensive Carry banner

NC Restaurant and park carry bill introduced

7K views 39 replies 24 participants last post by  tflhndn 
#1 ·
Maybe I should just start a "new in NC thread." It's being introduced tomorrow. This is the house bill. Gonna see if there is a companion for the senate.

A BILL TO BE ENTITLED AN ACT TO ALLOW PERSONS WITH CONCEALED HANDGUN PERMITS TO
PROTECT THEMSELVES AND THEIR FAMILIES IN RESTAURANTS AND TO ALLOW A CONCEALED HANDGUN PERMITEE TO CARRY A HANDGUN IN A PARK.
The General Assembly of North Carolina enacts: SECTION 1. G.S. 14-269.3(b) is amended by adding a new subdivision to read:
GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF NORTH CAROLINA SESSION 2011
HD HOUSE DRH30075-LH-73 (2/3)
Short Title:
Sponsors:
Referred to:
Handgun Permit Valid in Parks & Restaurants. (Public)
Representative Hilton.
"(5)
A person on the premises of an establishment that is a restaurant under G.S. 18B-1000(2) or G.S. 18B-1000(6), provided the person has a valid concealed handgun permit under Article 54B of Chapter 14 of the General Statutes."
SECTION 2. G.S. 14-415.23 reads as rewritten: "§ 14-415.23. Statewide uniformity.
It is the intent of the General Assembly to prescribe a uniform system for the regulation of legally carrying a concealed handgun. To insure uniformity, no political subdivisions, boards, or agencies of the State nor any county, city, municipality, municipal corporation, town, township, village, nor any department or agency thereof, may enact ordinances, rules, or regulations concerning legally carrying a concealed handgun. A unit of local government may adopt an ordinance to permit the posting of a prohibition against carrying a concealed handgun, in accordance with G.S.14-415.11(c), on local government buildings, their appurtenant premises, and parks.buildings and their appurtenant premises."

http://www.ncleg.net/gascripts/BillLookUp/BillLookUp.pl?Session=2011 &BillID=h111

See less See more
#4 ·
I look forward to this one. Restaurants during my yearly vacation in NC are one of the few sticking points I still have to overcome.

#5 ·
This is a great move in the right direction. Now, assuming passage, when I visit my daughter it will be safer to go out and enjoy a nice meal in the restaurant of our choice. She tends to find really good restaurants in some of the "more unsavory" areas.

#6 ·
Just to echo the above, when my wife and I visit NC as tourists, it is more than a bit inconvenient to not be able to visit even a Red Lobster type restaurant.

#8 ·
Emailed all 4 of my elected officals, so far only one has emailed back. His reply;

Dear Mr. XXXX,
Thank you for your letter of concern about House Bills 63 and 111. Representative Haire stands by the 2nd Amendment and a citizen’s right to bear arms. House Bill 111 would allow persons with concealed carry licenses to carry a concealed handgun in restaurants and parks. This legislation is very concerning because Rep. Haire does support the 2nd amendment but carrying firearms in restaurants and parks can lead to a dangerous precedent. Again, thank you for you letter and have a good day.

Sincerely,
Nick Stewart
Office of Representative Phil Haire
So everyone in his district be sure to email and let them know that next election he will be voted out of office.

#9 ·
Emailed all 4 of my elected officals, so far only one has emailed back. His reply;

So everyone in his district be sure to email and let them know that next election he will be voted out of office.

That email is just astounding. Wonder how he feels about the law that would allow HIM to carry in a restaurant, if he has a CCP? Obviously he supports the "keep" but not the "bear" in the 2A.

#10 ·
Thank you chiefjason for letting us know about the bill. I have emailed my representative and am awaiting his response which I feel will be positive.

#12 ·
Haire does support the 2nd amendment but carrying firearms in restaurants and parks can lead to a dangerous precedent.

What precedent might that be? I can eat and exercise while still being able to defend myself? You cant 'stand by the second amendment' and not allow people to fully exercise it......

#15 · (Edited)
#16 ·
The bill passed out of Jud A and is going back to the House. 2nd reading IIRC. Rep Hilton, Catawba, and others have added state parks to the bill. SWEEEEEEET!!!!!! Unfortunately, Rep. Ross (from Castle Doctrine shame last year) has gotten her claws into it. She is trying to add and amendment that would allow waiters to ask if you are armed when ordering alcohol. Yeah, that'll work. I have not seen the bill come up on the House calendar, I could have missed it though. It's been busy at work. So I am not sure when the vote on the House floor is. Here is an article with more info on the above changes.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...kJ26BQ&usg=AFQjCNF2RHMnFVoBI7II-F6UfTEp2NXMlg

#18 ·
#19 ·
hey cheif jason you may know me as papa bear. this is a subject that i have been pushing for a while now. these are stupid laws not only does it handicap the law abiding, it gives the bad guys a target choice.
the fact that we have proven our reliability to carry and not allowed to is like we get a drivers license and following all the rules, then not being allowed to drive
i have sent out emails every couple of days. and i have gotten a few responses from the state reps. most were positive ( though some were caned). one i found odd, but didn't save it

if everyone would please go to GRNC, Welcome to GRNC and get the mailing list and updates. i would especially ask those from other states, who would travel to our state to write to our reps and let them know that the laws as stand could be a deal breaker for you to come here and spend your dollars, Thanks

#20 ·
3rd reading is coming up. An amendment has been added to allow cities and counties to exempt parks with ball fields, playgrounds, swimming pool, or athletic facility. This is ridiculous! The one that needs to go is A2. Let your reps know!

Sorry for the late notice, but 3rd reading is Wednesday the 30th!

North Carolina General Assembly - House Bill 111 Information/History (2011-2012 Session)

If you need ideas.

I thank you for your support of HB 111. I am asking that you work to remove the amendment to allow exemption for parks with ballfields and playgrounds. Sometimes I wonder if our Representatives live in the same state I do? There are news reports of sexual predators, drug dealings, and gang activity in these same parks that they wish to continue disarming us in. There are more people, kids and adults, in a crowded Walmart than most parks. I can still carry a firearm there safely. In reality, the people that we would need to protect ourselves from do not care one bit about their silly amendment. And the criminals are the problem here. My problem is that the police simply cannot be everywhere to protect me and my family. But me and my wife can. However, politicians that seem to simply be ignorant of crime and the ability of law abiding citizens to safely carry a firearm wish keep us unable to defend ourselves.

Blood will not run in the parks, streets, restaurants, or anywhere else simply because law abiding citizens are allowed to carry firearms to defend themselves. But too often, the blood running is from a victim of a crime that was not allowed to keep the means to defend themselves. Please work to strike this amendment and pass a law that has some teeth to it. Can you actually point me to a park that does not have these things? There are very few. This would be no win for park carry if this passes.

Thank you for your service to Burke county and the Great State of North Carolina.

Sincerely,

#21 ·
You need one like Kansas .... you can carry anywhere other than Fedl facilities / property, the Govenors mansion & buildings, and any "building" that is posted with the approved AG signage. That's it. Parks, public areas, any outside area, etc. CANNOT be posted , period.... and the state law overrides everywhere or anything else in the state enacted by anyone.

It keeps it simple.

#22 ·
Update

Bill has passed the House, now on to the Senate.

House expands rights to carry concealed guns

RALEIGH, N.C. — The state House has agreed to allow people with concealed weapons permits in North Carolina to take their pistols into restaurants that serve alcohol and public parks.

House members voted 74-42 on Wednesday in favor of expanding places where legally armed citizens can carry a gun. The bill now goes to the Senate.

The measure also would allow local government restrictions in parks around ball fields and swimming pools.
House expands rights to carry concealed guns :: WRAL.com :danceban: :danceban:

#24 ·
Bill has passed the House, now on to the Senate.
Bear in mind that in it's current state you still cannot carry in 90% of local parks, unless the local Gov does not prohibit it. Think that will happen?

Good
Restaurant carry
State park carry

Bad
Allows cities and counties to ban CC in parks with playgrounds, ballfields, swimming pools, and athletic facilities.

I guess it's for the children. :confused::mad: Funny, my kids are a big part of why I carry and want to carry in parks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.