NC Restaurant and park carry bill introduced

This is a discussion on NC Restaurant and park carry bill introduced within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Maybe I should just start a "new in NC thread." It's being introduced tomorrow. This is the house bill. Gonna see if there is a ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NC Restaurant and park carry bill introduced

Maybe I should just start a "new in NC thread." It's being introduced tomorrow. This is the house bill. Gonna see if there is a companion for the senate.

A BILL TO BE ENTITLED AN ACT TO ALLOW PERSONS WITH CONCEALED HANDGUN PERMITS TO
    PROTECT THEMSELVES AND THEIR FAMILIES IN RESTAURANTS AND TO ALLOW A CONCEALED HANDGUN PERMITEE TO CARRY A HANDGUN IN A PARK.
    The General Assembly of North Carolina enacts: SECTION 1. G.S. 14-269.3(b) is amended by adding a new subdivision to read:
    GENERAL ASSEMBLY OF NORTH CAROLINA SESSION 2011
    HD HOUSE DRH30075-LH-73 (2/3)
    Short Title:
    Sponsors:
    Referred to:
    Handgun Permit Valid in Parks & Restaurants. (Public)
    Representative Hilton.
    "(5)
    A person on the premises of an establishment that is a restaurant under G.S. 18B-1000(2) or G.S. 18B-1000(6), provided the person has a valid concealed handgun permit under Article 54B of Chapter 14 of the General Statutes."
    SECTION 2. G.S. 14-415.23 reads as rewritten: " 14-415.23. Statewide uniformity.
    It is the intent of the General Assembly to prescribe a uniform system for the regulation of legally carrying a concealed handgun. To insure uniformity, no political subdivisions, boards, or agencies of the State nor any county, city, municipality, municipal corporation, town, township, village, nor any department or agency thereof, may enact ordinances, rules, or regulations concerning legally carrying a concealed handgun. A unit of local government may adopt an ordinance to permit the posting of a prohibition against carrying a concealed handgun, in accordance with G.S.14-415.11(c), on local government buildings, their appurtenant premises, and parks.buildings and their appurtenant premises."

http://www.ncleg.net/gascripts/BillL...20&BillID=h111
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Outstanding! Now...if we can get this passed, the next step is to get rid of the State of Emergency restriction. Will email my reps tonight. Thanks for the "heads-up" Chief!
    Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum ~ Μολών Λaβέ

We definitely have a whirlwind of pro-gun bills going down the pike here, and for the first time in many moons they have a really good chance of becoming law.

+1 on the state of emergency restriction.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    I look forward to this one. Restaurants during my yearly vacation in NC are one of the few sticking points I still have to overcome.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    This is a great move in the right direction. Now, assuming passage, when I visit my daughter it will be safer to go out and enjoy a nice meal in the restaurant of our choice. She tends to find really good restaurants in some of the "more unsavory" areas.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Just to echo the above, when my wife and I visit NC as tourists, it is more than a bit inconvenient to not be able to visit even a Red Lobster type restaurant.
    Best way to win a gun fight? "That's easy, don't show up."
    --Wyatt Earp

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
    -- Wyatt Earp

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Just to echo the above, when my wife and I visit NC as tourists, it is more than a bit inconvenient to not be able to visit even a Red Lobster type restaurant.
    Make ya a deal, you let us carry in your state and we'll let you carry in Red Lobster!

Emailed all 4 of my elected officals, so far only one has emailed back. His reply;

Dear Mr. XXXX,
    Thank you for your letter of concern about House Bills 63 and 111. Representative Haire stands by the 2nd Amendment and a citizen’s right to bear arms. House Bill 111 would allow persons with concealed carry licenses to carry a concealed handgun in restaurants and parks. This legislation is very concerning because Rep. Haire does support the 2nd amendment but carrying firearms in restaurants and parks can lead to a dangerous precedent. Again, thank you for you letter and have a good day.

Sincerely,
    Nick Stewart
    Office of Representative Phil Haire
    So everyone in his district be sure to email and let them know that next election he will be voted out of office.
    | Type 01 FFL / SOT |
    | NC CHP Instructor | NRA Pistol Instructor |

Quote Originally Posted by NCinstructor View Post
    Emailed all 4 of my elected officals, so far only one has emailed back. His reply;

So everyone in his district be sure to email and let them know that next election he will be voted out of office.

That email is just astounding. Wonder how he feels about the law that would allow HIM to carry in a restaurant, if he has a CCP? Obviously he supports the "keep" but not the "bear" in the 2A.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Thank you chiefjason for letting us know about the bill. I have emailed my representative and am awaiting his response which I feel will be positive.

3D
    Thank you chiefjason.

For any who are not sure about who to contact, this link gives names of Reps. and Sens. for your county.
    North Carolina General Assembly - NC House of Representatives Members (2011-2012 Session)

Click on the county and a new page will appear with names.
    "It is easier to resist at the beginning than at the end"____Leonardo da Vinci 1452-1519

Haire does support the 2nd amendment but carrying firearms in restaurants and parks can lead to a dangerous precedent.

What precedent might that be? I can eat and exercise while still being able to defend myself? You cant 'stand by the second amendment' and not allow people to fully exercise it......
    Please take my posts with a grain of salt. I am frequently sleep deprived and always just on this side of "Krazy".

When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle. Edmund Burke

Dangerous precedent? Like the dangerous precedent they allow in a whole bunch of other states? That dangerous precedent?

T45
    When will these Bills be voted on?

Not sure when or if it will be voted on. It is currently in Com On Judiciary, Subcommittee A according to the North Carolina General Assembly site

Click below

North Carolina General Assembly - House Bill 111 Information/History (2011-2012 Session)
    Last edited by shooter380; March 10th, 2011 at 11:45 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links