Heads UP in California! Gun Confiscations Underway!

Heads UP in California! Gun Confiscations Underway!

This is a discussion on Heads UP in California! Gun Confiscations Underway! within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Got this off Free Republic just now: Free Republic Heads up for Californians - Gun Confiscation http://armsandthelaw.com/ ^ | 7 17 06 | David Hardy ...

Thread: Heads UP in California! Gun Confiscations Underway!

Angry Heads UP in California! Gun Confiscations Underway!

Got this off Free Republic just now:

Free Republic

Heads up for Californians - Gun Confiscation
    http://armsandthelaw.com/ ^ | 7 17 06 | David Hardy

Posted on 07/18/2006 4:56:13 AM EDT by freepatriot32

LA County Gun Task Force Serving Search Warrants LAPD & LASO Might Be Knocking On Your Door Next!

LA County Gun Task Force Serving Search Warrants

Officers from the Los Angeles County Gun Task Force in CA have begun serving search warrants on residents in that county who are suspected of holding un-registered "Assault Rifles" including 50 BMG target rifles.

If you or any of your friends have not complied with the provisions of AB-50 that require you to register any 50 BMG rifles you own, you may very well expect a knock on your door at any time.

This information was received from a former ATF agent in CA:

"I have a friend who had a search warrant executed by the LA gun task force at his apartment, which is located above a home, within LA city limits a few months back. This task force is headed up by ATF, with LAPD and LASO being the primary agencies participating. Pursuant to the warrant execution, one Springfield M1A with its' original flash hider attached and numerous .50 cal incendiary type bullets (Projectiles) were seized. My friend was not arrested at the time and led to believe the case might not even be prosecuted. The task force left his entire gun collection, which is extensive, with him at his apartment. A little more info here for you to consider. My friend has no criminal record of any kind, is a decorated Vietnam vet, is gainfully employed as a carpenter, and is law abiding.

A couple of weeks ago, the task force came back to his apartment and arrested my friend and charged him with five felonies. He was taken to jail where he remained for two days until his bail was set and met. He is charged with being in possession of an unregistered assault rifle, and in possession of destructive devices, and in possession of destructive devices within so many feet of a school. Five felonies under California law in total.

Being a retired ATF special agent myself, I contacted the case agent who happens to be a LAPD detective assigned to the task force. I asked him why such a chicken ##### case was being prosecuted. Why were they ruining my friend's life after his service to our country and the fact that he has no past criminal record. I asked him what happened to law enforcement using common sense and discretion in a case like this. The detective told me they didn't make the laws, but it was their job to enforce the law and that the DA has a no tolerance policy regarding firearms. I tried to explain to him that the M1A rifle with its' original flash hider was legally sold to 1000's of people in CA before the assault rifle law was even enacted. Many of these original owners to this day do not know they are in violation by having the flash hider on their rifle. The detective didn't care. I explained that on at least two prior occasions I had contacted DOJ myself and had been informed the explosive bullets were legal in California as they are under ATF law, as long as they were not loaded into a case and able to fire. He said that was incorrect info and that under CA law the bullets alone are destructive devices and that each individual bullet could be charged separately."

During the past several months FCI has received several inquiries from people who are possibly California residents who have been asking what they should do because they hadn't registered their firearms before the required date. We have told everyone they need to contact an attorney to find out the best possible way to deal with this situation.

Also be aware that I spoke to Bill Ritchie at EDM Arms, Inc. recently and he had several customers who had purchased 50 BMG target rifles on a time payment program. The customers had not picked up their rifles before the expiration of the registration period and now all the firearms have to be turned in to the Dept of Justice in CA for destruction.

This is a very serious matter for owners as well as manufacturers. It appears that LA County Gun Task Force and DOJ in CA are looking for an opportunity to make an example out of an otherwise Law Abiding citizen. Don't let it be you. Seek good legal advice before you get a knock on your door when you least expect it.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Lead Moderator
    Hopefully this will go and be overturned at a Supreme Court level. Too bad there is so much BS politics trying to demonize law abiding citizens.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    well here is more info , http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...ad.php?t=37329

and here

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...ad.php?t=37353

It looks to me as if the guy in question at the least had a big mouth , not to mention a disreguard for the law ( modifying a semi auto with forbidden ( for CA ) parts , as well as buying forbidden ( for ca ) ammo .

Again I will say it , Why anyone would willingly live in such a state is beyond me .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Here is the original link that the FR thread was based on:

http://armsandthelaw.com/archives/20..._up_for_ca.php
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier
    Being a retired ATF special agent myself, I contacted the case agent who happens to be a LAPD detective assigned to the task force. I asked him why such a chicken ##### case was being prosecuted. Why were they ruining my friend's life after his service to our country and the fact that he has no past criminal record. I asked him what happened to law enforcement using common sense and discretion in a case like this.
    Sometimes I think that we, as Law Enforcement Officers, need to do this more often. I believe that we need to be more confrontational on these issues (while still remaining professional) and say to our colleagues, "What in the heck are you thinking?!?". I honestly believe that change can be very effective from within, and I also believe in our system of justice, but if those of us involved in the system don't speak our mind and act on our conscience, the system will become the pawn of those who would deprive us of our freedoms. Just my humble opinion.
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

Assistant Administrator
    Cannot help feeling this stuff is ''American vs American'' - and ''just obeying the law'' is not for me enough as justification in such circumstances.

As for each bullet when not loaded being a destructive device - geez, just how far can things be stretched.

It's all very ''thin-end-of-wedge'' in principle.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Unhappy Remember Nuremburg

Quote Originally Posted by TheGreatGonzo
    Sometimes I think that we, as Law Enforcement Officers, need to do this more often. I believe that we need to be more confrontational on these issues (while still remaining professional) and say to our colleagues, "What in the heck are you thinking?!?". I honestly believe that change can be very effective from within, and I also believe in our system of justice, but if those of us involved in the system don't speak our mind and act on our conscience, the system will become the pawn of those who would deprive us of our freedoms. Just my humble opinion.
    Gonzo
    It's a hard thing to question orders. You put not only your job on the line but the livelihood of your family. What happens if you refuse such orders? Well, you might lose your job and your pension. In a state of emergency you might be jailed or worse.

But the RISK of following blatantly illegal or unconstitutional orders generated especially by politicians is also a RISK. The mantra: I WAS ONLY FOLLOWING ORDERS didn't work so well for the nazis who executed the Holocaust. Can the two be compared? Well, sure. Would the Holocaust have been possible if the Jews and other "undesireables" not been DISARMED, first? One definitely leads to the next. It's a chain to be sure but one vital link is gun ownership.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I dont mean at all that i condone thiese statuts , in any manner , I will stand by my statement that this fella is " one of Jerry's kids " to allow others to know just what he had ( a confidental informant was the basis for the warrent appairently ) . If you live in Kommifornia You know better than to do/have this crap . Now a nice M1a is going to be destroyed and all of us who like Evil Black Rifles have a black eye from another idiot .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Senior Member Array TheGreatGonzo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ExSoldier
    It's a hard thing to question orders.
    That is very true. However, the RIGHT thing is very often a HARD thing. I'm a big believer in following the Chain-of-Command. I've been a military officer and a leo my entire adult life. However, blind obedience, to the point of sacrificing one's core beliefs and moral standards, is just as dangerous as you explained it to be.
    Gonzo
    "Skin that smokewagon!".

The left coast, especially the PR of Kalifornia seem to have voided the Constitution of the USA.

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Get the hell OUT of that !#$#@#$ place.

Immediately if not sooner.

Sponsored Links