Upcoming changes in VA, and update from one of our representatives

This is a discussion on Upcoming changes in VA, and update from one of our representatives within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I received this email from one of our senators. Thought I would pass it along for fellow VA folks to keep them informed. Note, this ...

Thread: Upcoming changes in VA, and update from one of our representatives

VIP Member

Upcoming changes in VA, and update from one of our representatives

I received this email from one of our senators. Thought I would pass it along for fellow VA folks to keep them informed. Note, this is not an endorsement for any candidate or party, just passing along info and did not want to take credit for his writing. Thanks.

Dear ____________,

As session wraps up, I wanted to update you on some votes we took that may be important to you as a strong supporter of our Second Amendment right to bear arms. In the Federalist Papers, James Madison spoke of the right to bear arms as one of the marks of a free man, writing that the "advantage of being armed" was one "which the Americans possess over the people of almost every nation," noting that throughout the rest of the world, "governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."

That we still discuss and debate the issue over two centuries later amply demonstrates that this mistrust is as strong as ever, despite all evidence. You and I know that the right to bear arms creates a safer society, and that it affords each person the ability to exercise their right to self defense. We also believe, together, that government should not impede the lawful activities of the citizenry, and that sportsmen, collectors, and those seeking the personal security of being armed must have that opportunity, without undue government interference.

This session did not see much gun-related legislation, but that is partly because of the ground we claimed in previous years, like last year's legislation allowing concealed carry in restaurants (provided that one does not consume alcohol), and a long tradition of laws favorable to gun owners.

We did, however, enact a few bills of note. One, HB 1552 (Cox), is designed to ensure the timely issuance of concealed handgun permits. Under existing law, the courts have forty-five days to review an application, and if they do not issue a permit or disqualify the person by that time, a de facto permit is to be issued until the actual permit is issued or the applicant is found not to qualify. Unfortunately, some clerks' offices have not notified individuals of their de facto permit in a timely manner, effectively denying them their permit for an extended period of time. This bill, which passed both chambers unanimously, requires a Clerk of Court to contact the applicant within five business days of the expiration of the forty-five day period.

We also passed HB 1422 (Albo), which adds one family firearm to the list of items that every householder shall be entitled to hold exempt from creditor process, known as the homestead exemption. Finally, we passed SB 1213 (Smith and Norment), which makes voter registration application forms available where hunting and fishing licenses are sold.

Of course, nothing we did in Virginia compares to the encouraging Second Amendment news on the federal level in recent years, but that's largely because Virginia's laws are already so much better than most. Still, we can all take heart from last year's McDonald v. Chicago decision, which, building on the Heller case, reaffirmed that the Second Amendment confers an individual right and finally incorporated against infringement by the states.

So, as another session comes to a close, there's still more to do - reason to renew our efforts next year - but I think we can be proud of what we have accomplished thus far, and grateful to live in the Commonwealth of Virginia, where we truly believe that the right to bear arms shall not be infringed.

I appreciate this opportunity to provide you with a synopsis of recent votes on this matter, and hope that you will not hesitate to contact me should you ever have any ideas, questions, or concerns.

With best regards,

Mark D. Obenshain

Virginia State Senator

2. Remove Ads

Thanks for sharing!!!
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Nice. My Senator is Quayle. Want to trade?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Nice. My Senator is Quayle. Want to trade?
    No way, we have a really good representative out here.

Links