Connecticut: High Capacity Mag Ban - Page 3

Connecticut: High Capacity Mag Ban

This is a discussion on Connecticut: High Capacity Mag Ban within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by Guantes Unless I misread, tubular .22lr magazines are exempted. As usual you are correct and I misread it....

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Connecticut: High Capacity Mag Ban

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Unless I misread, tubular .22lr magazines are exempted.
    As usual you are correct and I misread it.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MitchellCT View Post
    False alarm...

To: ME
    Sent: Thu, Mar 3, 2011 1:16 am
    Subject: 10 Round Magazines; NEW Bills

10 Round Magazines: S.B. No. 1094 (RAISED) JUDICIARY. 'AN ACT BANNING LARGE CAPACITY AMMUNITION MAGAZINES', to prohibit the possession of certain ammunition feeding devices that accept more than ten rounds. REF. JUDICIARY. OPPOSE. COMMUNICATE WITH JUDICIARY COMM MEMBERS BELOW. NOW!!

There has been some confusion as to the originator of this bill. I had a meeting with Sen. Looney’s Legal Advisor today and was assured he was not the sponsor. With his name in the electronic media and messages from other groups naming him as sponsor, he is receiving massive amounts of phone calls/e-mail.

It was admitted they did address the prospect of submitting this bill, but felt it was not appropriate. The bill was not a Proposed bill but was Raised by Judiciary Committee. It was admitted they did address the prospect of submitting this bill, but felt it was not appropriate. The bill was not a Proposed bill but was Raised by Judiciary Committee. Note that CCS directed all communications to the Judiciary Comm, NOT to Sen. Looney. STOP communications on this issue with Sen. Looney NOW unless he is YOUR State Senator. It is not wise to unnecessarily upset the Senate Majority Leader.
    Thank you for posting this. Whew.

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    I did not know those were around it makes sense to make something like that. Thanks for the link. Hope fully that won't happen here in FL.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Don't punish Colt over something that isn't in their control. Stuff like this proposal gets pushed by the big city boys who have never gotten either powder on their hands or mud on their boots. It gets pushed by folks who have never had the opportunity to go out into a field and plink with a 22 lever action.
    Hop - that is all true, but it does not mean I have to contribute to the coffers of CT. I have a choice and idiotic stuff like this really ticks me off. If enough people vote with their checkbook, CT will get the point - lost revenue and lost jobs.

ETA - Just read post 29 - Great news. Maybe Colt will get some of my $$$ after all. :)
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

I was at a legislative hearing about a year ago during the microstamping attempt.

Colt's chief counsel was very effective. He told the committee that if they did this, Colt was going to stop selling guns in CT...and likely stop buying from local suppliers due to lack of demand.

He said the number of jobs effected would be "Significant".

Microstamping failed.

Colt rocks...unless you are comparing them to Glock. They they are merely OK.

VIP Member
    Anyone hear how it went today ?.

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    Add to that the fact that such a law most likely has no measurable effect on public safety and it all seems like much aggravation for naught.
    Well, "Obviously we need to tighten the laws until they work!" (bleh)

False alarm...
    - I'm a little confused by the email. Does that mean that the bill is not going to go into effect?

I saw in another post on another forum that this bill would be unconstitional according to Article 1 Section 9 that states that "No Bill of Attainder or ex post facto Law shall be passed".

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tokerblue View Post
    - I'm a little confused by the email. Does that mean that the bill is not going to go into effect?

I saw in another post on another forum that this bill would be unconstitional according to Article 1 Section 9 that states that "No Bill of Attainder or ex post facto Law shall be passed".
    It means what Mitchel said it means: "false alarm." The other stuff, is irrelevant.

#1 It is not an ex-post facto law. People aught to learn what terms actually mean instead of pretending to understand them.

Internet constitutionalists should have their hamstrings cut, shoulders pulled out of joint, impaled and eaten by the crows.

#2 The bill was raised, but not submitted to go forward into the legislative process. It's an idea, not a fetus of a law marching toward birth.

Thanks for the clarification.

Is this "idea" being brought up something we may have to worry about in the future?

Senior Moderator
    #1 It is not an ex-post facto law. People aught to learn what terms actually mean instead of pretending to understand them.

Internet constitutionalists should have their hamstrings cut, shoulders pulled out of joint, impaled and eaten by the crows.

#2 The bill was raised, but not submitted to go forward into the legislative process. It's an idea, not a fetus of a law marching toward birth.
    To what point was it raised, then? I'm a bit confused on how or why a bill gets introduced and added to the record if it is not intended to move through the legislative process.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Thank God!!! I dont know if its just me but that last part sounds a little threatening It is not wise to unnecessarily upset the Senate Majority Leader. I think it not be wise to upset the American people or the people of you whom you govern. I understand that this bill might not have been taken into serious consideration, but if he was sick and tired of being bothered with it he should have made that announcement personally. Once the first 100 angry CT residents complained he should have eased our minds. We were initially pissed because someone who is supposed to be protecting the constitution state from unconstitutional laws allowed a law like this to even be considered . I know it would make no sense to take away guns or high cap mags from law abiding citizens. When what really should be happening is criminal possession of a firearm for people who are not fit to carry or own should be tightened. A criminal gets caught with a gun and gets 6mos. probation and another felony on there record. No biggie to them. But a church going hard working father/mother of two and a pillar to the community gets his/her guns or mags taken that they have invested there hard earned money in is just wrong.. Take away the guns from the law abiding american so the only people who have them are the criminals.. Smart. On the other hand I am grateful that this law is benign to our future and Im happy that a lot of us are doing our job as American citizens and CT residents and letting it be known of how we feel and what we think. Also letting it be known that we pay very close attention to our laws and what goes on in politics in this state. I hope we keep up the good work and let our opinions be know at all times regardless of what someone says in a email about not upsetting someone. We understand he has to do his job and he has to understand that we have to do our job..

Quote Originally Posted by ssmtbracer View Post
    What good does a 10 round mag do in a G17? So you have to basically get rid of your gun too.
    I still have a couple 10 round G17 mags that sold with the gun during the dark years
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Links