Wyoming 4th State in Union with Constitutional Carry

This is a discussion on Wyoming 4th State in Union with Constitutional Carry within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Wyoming governor signs concealed gun bill Wyoming governor signs concealed gun bill Associated Press - March 2, 2011 6:45 PM ET CHEYENNE, Wyo. (AP) - ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Wyoming governor signs concealed gun bill

Associated Press - March 2, 2011 6:45 PM ET

CHEYENNE, Wyo. (AP) - Wyoming has become the fourth state to allow citizens to carry concealed guns without a permit.

Gov. Matt Mead signed a bill into law Wednesday to allow state citizens legally entitled to own guns to carry them concealed starting in July.

Similar bills are pending in about half a dozen other state legislatures around the country. Alaska, Arizona and Vermont already don't require permits for carrying concealed guns.

A national spokesman for the National Rifle Association says the push to allow more concealed guns comes from common people who demand the freedom to protect themselves in tough economic times.

But a spokesman for the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence in Washington says the gun industry is pushing to loosen restrictions on carrying guns to boost sales.
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

Thats awesome!
    Here in OK it looks like we are making progress in getting open carry of some sort passed. There are several versions of this legislation on the table now. The one that looks like its got the most steam would be a liscenced open carry which would pertain to those who get a concealed carry permit.

Congrats Wyoming

8 more states on deck: Similar bills are pending in states including Colorado, Minnesota, Montana, New Hampshire, South Carolina and Utah. A bill has been introduced in Kentucky but hasn't advanced while another was introduced for discussion in Idaho.

let's get them passed

Great news, but does anyone know the reasoning behind the residency requirement?
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the PEOPLE to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

no. but you are correct. Only state residents may carry without a permit

I don't know how I feel about this.....
    I meet too many people who own guns, and probably shouldn't own guns. They are irresponsible, and ignorant to many issues. I actually like the fact that they must take a basic class here in Florida to teach them about their firearm. I don't even like the fact that a citizen in this state can skip the concealed weapons class because they took a hunter's safety course 15 years ago, and still get their concealed carry permit. IMO that will lead to more people carrying firearms irresponsibly, ignorantly, and making for more dangerous situations. JMHO

PS- Don't jump all over me here, if I'm missing something let me know. Very rarely do I ever disagree with things who are positively reviewed by members on this forum.
    "Being armed gives you options"

Kimber Pro Carry II; S&W M&P; S&W M&P9c; Walther PPS: Ruger SP101 357: Kahr P380 w/ CT; NAA 22mag; Rock River AR-15; NEF Pardner Pump; Benelli Nova

Would like to see that here, but the Sheriffs here need that money they keep from the permit fees in their budget...
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    Congrats Wyoming

8 more states on deck: Similar bills are pending in states including Colorado, Minnesota, Montana, New Hampshire, South Carolina and Utah. A bill has been introduced in Kentucky but hasn't advanced while another was introduced for discussion in Idaho.

let's get them passed
    NV on deck as well.

Quote Originally Posted by claybreaker0 View Post
    I meet too many people who own guns, and probably shouldn't own guns. They are irresponsible, and ignorant to many issues. I actually like the fact that they must take a basic class here in Florida to teach them about their firearm. I don't even like the fact that a citizen in this state can skip the concealed weapons class because they took a hunter's safety course 15 years ago, and still get their concealed carry permit. IMO that will lead to more people carrying firearms irresponsibly, ignorantly, and making for more dangerous situations. JMHO

PS- Don't jump all over me here, if I'm missing something let me know. Very rarely do I ever disagree with things who are positively reviewed by members on this forum.
    We let people have kids who should not be allowed to. In some people's mind you do not need a permit to exercise a RIGHT, as opposed to a privilege. While training is a great idea, free choice is more important. The resonsible citizen will get training, but compelling it opens another can of worms in my mind.

Congrats Wyoming!

claybreaker, I see what you are saying and have mixed feelings about it. I do take a little comfort in knowing that permit holders in Kansas can at least hit a paper plate sized spot on the broad side of a barn when under very little pressure, but when the SHTF very few of us will likely exibit that kind of accuracy. Through practice and training I'm probably going to have an edge over a gun carrying newb, but they can get lucky too. We are always going to a have a number of people carrying guns that probably shouldn't, even with a strict permit process. Hell how many people are carrying guns now that aren't even legal to be anywhere near a gun? I also think with more and more people legally carrying guns (hopefully with some training and practice) the criminals will begin to fear the general public for a change.
    NRA Life Member

With great power comes great responsibility.-Stan Lee

Quote Originally Posted by claybreaker0 View Post

In the same premise that while I don't agree with the scum that call themselves Westboro Baptist Chruch, I still respect the fact that they have the same 1st amendment rights as any of us and have the right to protest against what they choose. Same goes for the 2d amendment. I assure you, you are in more danger every morning by getting in your motor driven vehicle than you are by constitutional carry laws.

That's great, by why can't they take the final step and say anyone who can legally own a handgun can cc in their States?
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    That's great, by why can't they take the final step and say anyone who can legally own a handgun can cc in their States?
    They do In AZ

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    In the same premise that while I don't agree with the scum that call themselves Westboro Baptist Chruch, I still respect the fact that they have the same 1st amendment rights as any of us and have the right to protest against what they choose. Same goes for the 2d amendment. I assure you, you are in more danger every morning by getting in your motor driven vehicle than you are by constitutional carry laws.
    I can understand your point, and am all for upholding the constitution, and anything that creates less power for the government.......I would still rather there still be some sort of educational process required of those who plan to carry a firearm. Luckily my Father taught me proper firearm safety and respect when I was growing up, unfortunately I feel that 50% of those in my little southern city of St. Augustine....weren't.
    "Being armed gives you options"

Kimber Pro Carry II; S&W M&P; S&W M&P9c; Walther PPS: Ruger SP101 357: Kahr P380 w/ CT; NAA 22mag; Rock River AR-15; NEF Pardner Pump; Benelli Nova

They should have firearms safety classes in public schools, but they don't. They should have marksmanship clubs. but they don't. They should have hunting clubs. But they don't. instead they push the liberal agenda into our childrens minds from grade schoool through college.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links