NC lawmakers want special privileges.

This is a discussion on NC lawmakers want special privileges. within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; LaRoque introduces concealed carry bill RALEIGH In North Carolina, concealed handgun permits come with stringent requirements on where users can and cannot carry their ...

Thread: NC lawmakers want special privileges.

VIP Member

NC lawmakers want special privileges.

LaRoque introduces concealed carry bill

RALEIGH In North Carolina, concealed handgun permits come with stringent requirements on where users can and cannot carry their weapons. But in the wake of several recent shootings of elected officials around the nation, Rep. Stephen LaRoque, R-Lenoir, is working to change those requirements.

If House Bill 184 passes the House and Senate, and is approved by the governor, it would allow anyone elected or appointed to a North Carolina public office who has a concealed carry permit, to carry a handgun or pocket knife to any location in the state, unless that place is under federal jurisdiction.

The bill is currently in a subcommittee of the House Judiciary Committee.
    LaRoque introduces concealed carry bill | laroque, raleigh, bill - Kinston Free Press

http://www.ncleg.net/Sessions/2011/B...PDF/H184v1.pdf

Rep. Stephen LaRoque considers himself and other lawmakers more deserving of self protection than us commeners. This bill should be expanded to include all permit holders.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

2. Remove Ads

I totally agree!! Sometimes our lawmakers get the feeling they are above reproach, and can do no wrong, and hold themselves in a higher plane than the rest of us.

Thanks for the Heads up on this bill. I will be writing my representative shortly to voice my opinion. I do not think our "honorables" are any more up standing than regular citizens. As a matter of fact I can recall several elected official recently that have been charged, some convicted and some imprisoned, including a recent Governor and speaker of the house, for their various nefarious activities.

I think we should all be able to carry anywhere in the state, actually anywhere in the union.

Quote Originally Posted by shooter380 View Post
    Thanks for the Heads up on this bill. I will be writing my representative shortly to voice my opinion. I do not think our "honorables" are any more up standing than regular citizens. As a matter of fact I can recall several elected official recently that have been charged, some convicted and some imprisoned, including a recent Governor and speaker of the house, for their various nefarious activities.

I think we should all be able to carry anywhere in the state, actually anywhere in the union.
    I do believe you've stated a perfect 2A explanation!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Yeah, so when someone shoots at an elected official, it gets world media attention. When a regular Joe is shot at, it makes local headlines. What makes them think they are any bigger of a target of gun crime than any other legal citizen in this country? How absurd. I should be offered the EXACT same protection rights as my elected officials. However, I do understand that some government buildings are these officials places of work. Why should the other employees be denied their right to carry in the government building that they work in? Also, why should these officials be able to carry into a government building in which they DO NOT work in?

My vote goes for equality.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus222 View Post
    Yeah, so when someone shoots at an elected official, it gets world media attention. When a regular Joe is shot at, it makes local headlines. What makes them think they are any bigger of a target of gun crime than any other legal citizen in this country? How absurd. I should be offered the EXACT same protection rights as my elected officials. However, I do understand that some government buildings are these officials places of work. Why should the other employees be denied their right to carry in the government building that they work in? Also, why should these officials be able to carry into a government building in which they DO NOT work in?

My vote goes for equality.
    Lets also not forget that in the Arizona shooting the elected official survived and it was an appointed official and 5 regular joes (to include a 9 year old girl) that were killed. Rep. LaRoque needs to be voted out of office asap.

Thanks for the comment beni. With your permission I shall inform my representative of your very astute observation.

The SC House tried this recently for the third year in a row, and for the third year in a row GrassRoots GunRights got it defeated. Go get 'em, NC!
    Visit my Winchester Ranger Talon page for current pricing.

Classic... "It's ok for us, but not ok for anyone else."
    What's good for the goose....
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

I've already voiced my displeasure about this. Never got a response. The best solution is to just lift the restrictions period. Sometimes the simple answer is the right one.

Checking on the bill, IIRC it had a lot more sponsors than that. I wonder if it's loosing sponsors over this? At least my Rep has not voted for it, but it seems he's not voted on it at all. Hmm?
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

I will be writing a bunch of emails tonight...

The whole idea of a representative form of government is that those who are elected have to live under the same laws they pass for others. That is the only way they can know the effects of those laws.

Michael

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    Classic... "It's ok for us, but not ok for anyone else."
    What's good for the goose....
    Yup.

"Fine for mine, but not for thine..."

Well I emailed My rep expressing my displeasure for this bill, explaining that elected officials are no more likely to be a victim than anyone else and that we all need to be able to protect our families and ourselves in all places throughout the state. I got a response (possible from a staffer) that said he totally agreed with me, that we should all be able to protect our families, thanked me for contacting his office and said he would be sure and VOTE FOR THE BILL. WHAT???

I have emailed him again explicitly stating my position. Maybe he will get it this time.

Links