Illinois House Bill 148 - The Family and Personal Protection Act.

This is a discussion on Illinois House Bill 148 - The Family and Personal Protection Act. within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have been reading the text for HB148 at: Illinois General Assembly - Full Text of HB0148 The just passed a vote in Committee by ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Illinois House Bill 148 - The Family and Personal Protection Act.

Illinois House Bill 148 - The Family and Personal Protection Act.

I have been reading the text for HB148 at:

Illinois General Assembly - Full Text of HB0148

The just passed a vote in Committee by 12 to 2. The NRA state rep feels that there is a very good chance that this will pass a vote in the State House and Senate.

My favorite part that I have read so far is the section about a business that prohibits a CCW permit holder from carrying in their business is injured in a crime that the business can be held civilly liable.

(c) Any owner, business or commercial lessee, manager of a
    15 private business enterprise, or any other organization,
    16 entity, or person that prohibits persons holding a permit for
    17 concealed firearms from carrying concealed firearms on the
    18 premises shall be civilly liable for any injury from a criminal
    19 act upon a person holding a permit for carrying a concealed
    20 firearm who was prohibited from carrying a concealed firearm on
    21 the premises.

Bruce (hopefully soon joining the membership of those able to protect their loved ones.)

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Good looking regulation especially since it includes state pre-emption over home rule cities. My only question is will they include reciprocity with other states or will there be some way for non-residents to obtain a FOID card.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Wow, go go go fighting Illini! 'Course, it'll still be hard to get one in Cook county or those immediately surrounding... They'll be backlogs, or limits on how many can apply in a day... But I sure hope you folks can git 'er done... That'd really be something. We can wait for the reciprocity....
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

Did something happen and I missed it? I thought IL was a "Right Denied" state, so the text of the bill regarding CC either applies to no one, or only the rich and powerful & LEOs.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    No CCW in Illinois, so seems like a moot bill.
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    Did something happen and I missed it? I thought IL was a "Right Denied" state, so the text of the bill regarding CC either applies to no one, or only the rich and powerful & LEOs.
    Quoting from the bill:
    The county sheriff, upon a person's application for a
    15 concealed firearms permit, upon receipt of the appropriate
    16 fees, and after compliance with the procedures set out in this
    17 Section, shall issue the applicant a concealed firearms permit
    18 if the person:
    Quote Originally Posted by kapnketel View Post
    No CCW in Illinois, so seems like a moot bill.
    Looks like this bill would change that?

Changes IL from a no issue state to a shall issue state... Now... Maybe I'm missing something... I had hopes I wasn't...

The only thing I see trouble with here is getting into the approved class... Maybe that's how they deny the permit.
    It could be worse.
    "The History of our Revolution will be one continued Lye from one end to the other."
    John Adams
    "A gun is kind of like a parachute. If you need one and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again".

This is too much to hope for in the People's Republic. Good luck to you guys up there.

Tough row to hoe... needs 71 votes to pass, they're sure of only 66.

Gov is against it... requires supermajority to overide a (possible/probable?) veto.

Too bad there aren't enough activists on the conservative side of the fence to storm the statehouse FOR rights, in the way there are activists fighting to SAVE the LOSS of rights ala Wisconsin.
    It could be worse.
    John Adams

Just read through that, all in all not a bad law, assuming we should need laws to carry in the first place.

I see no mention of reciprocity, which is one major failing. But, take it one step at a time.

Here's wishing good luck to you in the Land of Lincoln.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

My wife is from Springfield, IL. This would be great news if indeed they changed the Draconian firearms laws to catch up with most of the other states and allow their citizens to have their 2A rights returned.

It would be good to be able to carry our handguns in a legal fashion when we go visit her parents. We usually have to disarm just across the Wabash River after leaving permit-friendly Indiana via I-64 and stash them in the trunk of our car.

Maybe there is hope for Illinois after all!
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

If this is an accurate reading, and IL turns into Shall Issue...

The same year, I'd fully expect the Cubs to win the world series, after a perfect season of no losses...along with Daley getting arrested for multiple counts of RICO, and video to hit the news of him mostly naked in his office with 3 prostitutes, a donkey, and his desk covered in a variety of drugs, with Bloomberg in the background passed out in a crotchless clown suit.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    If this is an accurate reading, and IL turns into Shall Issue...

The same year, I'd fully expect the Cubs to win the world series, after a perfect season of no losses...along with Daley getting arrested for multiple counts of RICO, and video to hit the news of him mostly naked in his office with 3 prostitutes, a donkey, and his desk covered in a variety of drugs, with Bloomberg in the background passed out in a crotchless clown suit.
    The first line was great and yes, let's all pray for the citizens of Illinois that they gain back their 2A rights!

The Bloomberg bit caused me to lose my appetite, but if that would truly happen, I can stand to be nauseated for a little while!
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

This bill is still a work in progress. Many parts of it are being kept under wraps until it hits the floor - keep the anti's guessing. The civil liability issue has been removed. My feeling is that it shoots for the moon, then still has some room left for negotiations in order to get more support on board.

Quote Originally Posted by billzfx4 View Post
    This bill is still a work in progress. Many parts of it are being kept under wraps until it hits the floor - keep the anti's guessing. The civil liability issue has been removed. My feeling is that it shoots for the moon, then still has some room left for negotiations in order to get more support on board.
    You mean the civil liability for public places if someone is denied the right to carry within the establishment? I saw no other mentions of civil liability.

How do you keep portions under wraps when the entire bill is posted?
    It could be worse.
    John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    You mean the civil liability for public places if someone is denied the right to carry within the establishment? I saw no other mentions of civil liability.

How do you keep portions under wraps when the entire bill is posted?
    Yes, the civil liability of buisnesses that deny carry has been removed.

The copy of the bill that is referenced in the first post is not the final version that will be voted on in the assembly. There are still some sections that may be added/deleted or modified, before the bill is complete.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links