POTUS announces intention to push for new Gun Control

This is a discussion on POTUS announces intention to push for new Gun Control within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; It's been more than two months since the tragedy in Tucson stunned the nation. It was a moment when we came together as one people ...

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: POTUS announces intention to push for new Gun Control

POTUS announces intention to push for new Gun Control

It's been more than two months since the tragedy in Tucson stunned the nation. It was a moment when we came together as one people to mourn and to pray for those we lost. And in the attack's turbulent wake, Americans by and large rightly refrained from finger-pointing, assigning blame or playing politics with other people's pain.

But one clear and terrible fact remains. A man our Army rejected as unfit for service; a man one of our colleges deemed too unstable for studies; a man apparently bent on violence, was able to walk into a store and buy a gun.

He used it to murder six people and wound 13 others. And if not for the heroism of bystanders and a brilliant surgical team, it would have been far worse.

But since that day, we have lost perhaps another 2,000 members of our American family to gun violence. Thousands more have been wounded. We lose the same number of young people to guns every day and a half as we did at Columbine, and every four days as we did at Virginia Tech.

Every single day, America is robbed of more futures. It has awful consequences for our society. And as a society, we have a responsibility to do everything we can to put a stop to it.

President Obama: We must seek agreement on gun reforms
    I suspect many expected new gun control at some point from the WH after Tuscon, although few here or other places voiced their concern. Maybe we secretly hoped that for once, a tragedy wouldn't be used to advance the anti agenda. Well, now there's no need to speculate. POTUS has announced his intention to seek new gun control measures in response to Rep Gifford's attack by a deranged individual.
    2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

2. Remove Ads

2nd Amendment: because personal violence never makes an appointment.
    Evil resides in the heart of the individual, not in inanimate objects.
    Proud Member of GeorgiaCarry.Org

VIP Member
    He is right. We MUST seek agreement on reforms. NICS has to be made to work. No loopholes. Penalties for illegal possession by folks with prior records must be severely enhanced. Penalties for those caught in illegal possession must be enhanced if there is any prior criminal or contraindicating mental health condition.

I have owned guns and been shooting for all of my now reasonably long life. I'm frankly rather appalled at some of what I see displayed in the gun stores. The designs play to some inner drive present in too many; to fantasy of rebellion; to fantasy of "armed resistance;" to fantasy of survival after a total breakdown in society thought by some to be imminent. There is an old saying that "perception is reality" and folks, appearances count in this area just as they do with dress and clothing and other matters of style.

We harm our cause when we refuse to recognize that too many otherwise good people are taking over the top positions on gun issues. And that goes for both sides.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    He is right. We MUST seek agreement on reforms. NICS has to be made to work. No loopholes. Penalties for illegal possession by folks with prior records must be severely enhanced. Penalties for those caught in illegal possession must be enhanced if there is any prior criminal or contraindicating mental health condition.
    Agreed.
    Honor is self-esteem made visible in action. - Ayn Rand

Nowhere does he mention restricting hi cap mags or any weapons... In fact he only talks about supporting gun laws and systems that already exist... The NCIS check for example... If he stays there I have no problem with it... if he expands the "discussion" to the need for hi cap mags, or weapons of a certain color, or how many guns... or etc etc... then I'll turn off my ears.

But so far, he's only talking about enforcing and increasing the accuracy of laws and checks already on the books...

• First, we should begin by enforcing laws that are already on the books. The National Instant Criminal Background Check System is the filter that's supposed to stop the wrong people from getting their hands on a gun. Bipartisan legislation four years ago was supposed to strengthen this system, but it hasn't been properly implemented. It relies on data supplied by states - but that data is often incomplete and inadequate. We must do better.

• Second, we should in fact reward the states that provide the best data - and therefore do the most to protect our citizens.

• Third, we should make the system faster and nimbler. We should provide an instant, accurate, comprehensive and consistent system for background checks to sellers who want to do the right thing, and make sure that criminals can't escape it.
    None of which any of us have a beef with.... in fact, many of those of us who are avid supporters of gun rights have often said "Just enforce the laws already on the books!"

I don't see a gun grab here... yet. And I do mean yet. But what he is proposing is exactly what the NRA, it's membership, and all other gun rights advocacy groups have said all along.

That said, we need to watch the conversation very carefully... and make certain that it does not stray from this message to include other "restrictions."
    garyacman likes this.
    Politicians, take note of Colorado 9/10/2013.
    "You are elected to service, not power.
    Your job is to "serve us" not to lord power over us."
    Me, 9/11/13

Hopyard, I'm gonna hold your virtual hand so the flames have more bulk to burn.

There is a line that can be crossed.
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post

I have owned guns and been shooting for all of my now reasonably long life. I'm frankly rather appalled at some of what I see displayed in the gun stores. The designs play to some inner drive present in too many; to fantasy of rebellion; to fantasy of "armed resistance;" to fantasy of survival after a total breakdown in society thought by some to be imminent. There is an old saying that "perception is reality" and folks, appearances count in this area just as they do with dress and clothing and other matters of style.

We harm our cause when we refuse to recognize that too many otherwise good people are taking over the top positions on gun issues. And that goes for both sides.
    +1; +1 and +1 You are correct on all counts I agree 100%; we no longer can afford to release repeat offenders and use thier continous assults to attack all gun owners or allow criminal on criminal crime to be used in generic terms. Gun shops and factories need to stop feeding the fantasy of the zombie attacks etc... as there are those out there who do not understand that the movies are NOT REAL...
    garyacman likes this.

If all he is going to do is close loopholes I would understand, but the antis are a slimy bunch and they never stop were they say they were going to. They will keep pushing for more.
    Glock 36, 30SF, 31, 32, 21 Gen4 - Carry guns
    Ruger Mini-14 and Remington 870 by the bed both wearing Surefire lights.
    Always carry a knife-they are handy to have
    Always carry a reload-You probably won't need it but it is good insurance .
    Always carry a light- To see in the dark

Distinguished Member Array kapnketel's Avatar
    The system is a good one, improperly implemented. The laws are fine, but the data sharing and system interaction are not working well.

But legislating away firearms based on their appearance or if someone fantasies about being one of the Wolverines with a an AK? That basic premise, taken to its extreme would result in a total firearm ban. A nut job kid fantasized about using a Glock, should we ban Glocks? What if he fantasizes about using a revolver? Who gets to be the national arbiter of what "looks" wrong?

And outside of court ordered institutionalization for mental illness, who gets to decide who is too mentally unstable to own a gun? Someone who was treated for depression once an took medications, should they be banned? I really do not want to live in a society where those decisions get made by the government. One man's eccentric is another man's crazy kinda thing. Who gets to decide if you belong in a national data bank of "crazies"?
    I'd rather be lucky than good any day

There's nothing that will change someone's moral outlook quicker than cash in large sums.

Majority rule only works if you're also considering individual rights. Because you can't have five wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for supper.

VIP Member
    I have to agree with Hopyard, the exisitng system does need fixing, a lot of people in recent shootings who should not have had firearms are slipping through the cracks, both Va. Tech and the Arizona incidents are good examples of these failures, IMHO.
    "Don't start none, won't be none!"

If the current system, run by the .gov is so mucked up... what makes all you folks think they won;t muck up the next one, and the next and the next?

One thing is for sure, in the history of every single .gov program/agency all but one have been a colossal failure.

The only program in the history of modern .gov to be successful was the Apollo Program...

Ya'll think bout that before you go and sign onto all this pie in the sky feel good "gun control"... lest it come back and nail you in the keester with its most certain unintended consequences...

Color me suspicious. The 'common sense' phrase came up, that usually means something bad's coming.
    jwhite75 and surefire7 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ole slabside View Post
    If the current system, run by the .gov is so mucked up... what makes all you folks think they won;t muck up the next one, and the next and the next?

One thing is for sure, in the history of every single .gov program/agency all but one have been a colossal failure.

The only program in the history of modern .gov to be successful was the Apollo Program...

Ya'll think bout that before you go and sign onto all this pie in the sky feel good "gun control"... lest it come back and nail you in the keester with its most certain unintended consequences...
    Let's see, I'm a law abiding citizen... I went through an NICS check to purchase my handguns... I went through another, and a background check to get my permit, I got both... So I can't say that the sytem in place is a failure.

A couple of whackos got some guns and shot up some folks... they got their guns under the same system... the system did not work as intended in their case... the existing system needs tweaked within it's own limits to work correctly... and that's all he's sayin' out loud... as long as that's it... I got no beef. In fact, I agree.

Now if he's conspirin' to take away my guns, well that's another thing alltogether. But you got to show me that's what he's doin'.
    Politicians, take note of Colorado 9/10/2013.
    "You are elected to service, not power.
    Your job is to "serve us" not to lord power over us."
    Me, 9/11/13

Senior Moderator
    I support what he's proposed in that op-ed. I'd go a step farther and require all transfers between unrelated parties to go through an FFL.

I'm concerned, of course, about what comes next, since he says this is a starting point. The next batch of ideas might be unacceptable, or not - only time will tell.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Quote Originally Posted by MattInFla View Post
    I support what he's proposed in that op-ed. I'd go a step farther and require all transfers between unrelated parties to go through an FFL.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Links