Carded at Wally World buying ammo

This is a discussion on Carded at Wally World buying ammo within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I just bought a 250 round box of 9mm the other day at WalMart. The clerk asked me for some identification. A little puzzled, I ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Carded at Wally World buying ammo

Carded at Wally World buying ammo

I just bought a 250 round box of 9mm the other day at WalMart. The clerk asked me for some identification. A little puzzled, I asked him why he needed it. He said he had to verify my age and address. I said I never had to do that before. He apologetically pointed to a sign on top of the ammo case stating the law. Does anybody know what this is about?

If this has been discussed, I apologize. Haven't been on the forum for awhile.

2. Remove Ads

That may be a State law issue.
    Don't do things you don't want to explain to the Paramedics!

Stupidity should be painful.

Might be a Wally World law....

Making sure you're old enough to buy pistol ammo. No biggie, pretty standard any more. Over 18 for rifle and over 21 for pistol. That's why they sometimes ask if it's for pistol or rifle.

Say thank you ATF.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Making sure you're old enough to buy pistol ammo. No biggie, pretty standard any more. Over 18 for rifle and over 21 for pistol. That's why they sometimes ask if it's for pistol or rifle.

Say thank you ATF.
    Yeah that. But I've never had them inquire about my address. If they needed my address, I'd find somewhere else to buy ammo.
    I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them. -- John Wayne as John B. Books in "The Shootist"

Distinguished Member Array orangevol's Avatar
    I was carded a couple of weeks ago when I bought some 9mm and .40 ammo at Walmart. I mentioned to the cashier I had not been asked for an I.D. in the past and she told me it was a new rule to ask everyone. Believe me...there's no mistaking I'm old enough to buy ammo.
    Proud NRA member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by orangevol View Post
    Believe me...there's no mistaking I'm old enough to buy ammo.
    I resemble that also although I have been at Wal-Marts in other states where they actually input my birth date.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Be lucky that's all you have to do for Walmart. Try being a big time vendor for them in the food arena. I'm just a truck driver and I have to do stuff because of Walmart. It does not matter how crazy the rule is. They make it, people jump. Kinda crazy.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by orangevol View Post
    I was carded a couple of weeks ago when I bought some 9mm and .40 ammo at Walmart. I mentioned to the cashier I had not been asked for an I.D. in the past and she told me it was a new rule to ask everyone. Believe me...there's no mistaking I'm old enough to buy ammo.
    I'm well past AARP membership eligibility, and on Saturday I was carded when I bought a beer at the Denver Airport. Last time I showed ID to purchase any sort of alcohol I was in college!
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

I bought 1100 rounds of federal 22 sunday,she asked if it was for a handgun,I just said yup,no ID no nuttin,I guess I look a few days over 21, actually I got a kid thats waaay past 21
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Here in my city, it's being applied haphazardly. Sometimes I've been asked to show ID, and more often not. It's not a uniform policy, or at least the staff aren't applying it consistently.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

I'm not sure where the State of Guns and Religion is, MP45, but here in PA I was going through the line with some 9mm ammo and the cashier paused, looked at me, then pressed a key on his register. I caught the display just in time to see it saying something about verifying age. It was my first time buying at wally world (and not the LGS) and caught me buy surprise, as I certainly don't look 18, 21 or whatever you need to be. No address verification though.

Senior Member Array hudsonvalley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post

Say thank you ATF.
    They (sales clerk) went as far as to ask for my CCW permit....WalMart rule.....I told him that it wasn't required and that most rifle ammo could be shot in pistolsl anyway.....they aren't up on things.....
    Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
    ---Ronald Reagan

I have been carded at my local Wal Mart. Age verification isnt a huge deal to me. I guess if checking someones ID will stop one BG from committing a crime or one kid from buying ammo for his dads gun that wasnt secure then its worth it.
    Please take my posts with a grain of salt. I am frequently sleep deprived and always just on this side of "Krazy".

When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle. Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by Bkrazy View Post
    I have been carded at my local Wal Mart. Age verification isnt a huge deal to me. I guess if checking someones ID will stop one BG from committing a crime or one kid from buying ammo for his dads gun that wasnt secure then its worth it.
    Agreed...

But, the age verification is as far as I care to go with it.... My address is none of their darn business.
    joker1 likes this.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links