Very Sad: Young woman's suicide at mall puts focus on gun sales

Very Sad: Young woman's suicide at mall puts focus on gun sales

This is a discussion on Very Sad: Young woman's suicide at mall puts focus on gun sales within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This is a sad story... happened just a few miles from me. But it does put focus (like the Arizona shooting) on the ability for ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Very Sad: Young woman's suicide at mall puts focus on gun sales

Unhappy Very Sad: Young woman's suicide at mall puts focus on gun sales

This is a sad story... happened just a few miles from me. But it does put focus (like the Arizona shooting) on the ability for certain people to obtain long guns.

Thoughts from the group?

================================================== ========

Young woman's suicide at mall puts focus on gun sales - DailyFreeman.com

JILL Frankenberry Connor thought her daughter was off to buy an electric blanket at Hudson Valley Mall on March 2.

It turned out the 23-year-old Saugerties High School graduate had something else in mind.

What April Frankenberry Connor bought was not a blanket to keep herself warm from a draft in her living room while she toiled on a computer. Instead, her mother says, April bought a $340 shotgun at Dick’s Sporting Goods in the town of Ulster mall, climbed into the back seat of her car in the parking lot and fired a fatal shot into her brain.

“This was a young woman who was gentle, affectionate, caring toward myself and her friends,” said Connor, who has lived at 170 Delaware St. in the Saugerties hamlet of Glasco for eight years. “... She was an innocent, sweet, young woman. I just could not process it. I couldn’t.”

Now Connor is on a quest to prevent guns, particularly shotguns and rifles, from getting into the hands of the mentally ill so easily.

She said her daughter had been treated for mental illness, including severe depression, since her growing up in Huntington, on Long Island. She also had been hospitalized locally on several occasions while living Glasco.

Connor said she has contacted the office of U.S. Sen. Charles Schumer, D-N.Y., in a push to establish a database containing the names of people with mental illness.

The federally operated database, she said, could be used to prevent people with a history of mental illness from obtaining a so-called long gun by just walking into a store.

The system, she said, would warn gun dealers but not give them any other data about the person.

Connor also said an appeals process could be established for people who feel they were wrongly denied the right to by a gun.

“I will work with Sen. Schumer and any other legislator from the state or nation to prevent people with psychiatric illness from obtaining a weapon, while providing an appeal process so as not to infringe on their rights,” Connor said.

Schumer’s press office did not return calls from a reporter seeking comment on Connor’s proposal. Cody Poluso, a Schumer aide with whom Connor said she has spoken, also could not be reached.

ULSTER County Undersheriff Frank Faluotico said a system like the one proposed by Connor seems like a good idea but would be difficult to put in place.

“Her idea sounds great in theory, but the logistics of a law like that really need to be worked out to protect the people’s rights to have firearms,” Faluotico said.

The Sheriff’s Office assists with the registering of handguns, but not long guns, he noted.

Faluotico agreed the database suggested by Connor might have prevented her daughter’s suicide.

Connor also thinks there should be a 48-hour waiting period for anyone seeking to buy a shotgun or rifle. There currently are no waiting period for such purchases, though there are for buying handguns.

“If you need a gun at this moment, there is something wrong,” Connor said, adding that a person in rage might calm down during a waiting period.

Connor said something clearly was amiss with her daughter the afternoon of March 2, but by evening, when the young woman asked to borrow her mother’s credit card so she could buy an electric blanket, perhaps at Target in the mall, she appeared to be in good spirits.

“She seemed calm and normal, even happy for the first time in a while,” Connor said. “Even though I was terribly fearful, I thought it was a good sign that she wanted to go out shopping by herself.”

After all, Connor said, mental health experts had told her to encourage signs of independence.

Still, Connor was hesitant, anxious.

“I didn’t want to put my anxiety on her, so I gave her the car keys and let her go,” Connor said.

But Connor said she refused to give her daughter the credit card and stressed the need to properly manage money.

April left the Delaware Street home about 2:30 p.m. and called twice, her mother said: once just after 3 p.m. and then at 4:23 p.m.

“She was saying that she was having fun driving around by herself and she said, ‘I will be home soon,” Connor said. “I now know what she meant by saying she would be home soon. She would be in heaven with God.”

At that point, Connor checked for her credit card and found that it was missing. Then panic set in.

She called her credit card company and was told the card had just been used for a purchase at Dick’s — a $340 purchase.

“I jumped off the couch,” Connor said. “I was in a state of panic. I didn’t know what to do. I called the police and told them, ‘I think my daughter has got a gun, Please stop her. Don’t shoot her. She won’t hurt you.’”

A squadron of police arrived at Connor’s home moments later. She said a Saugerties police officer comforted her as they waited for word on her daughter’s fate.

The news, delivered a short time later, would be devastating.

BESIDES wanting a mental illness database established, Connor also is angry at Dick’s for letting April buy the shotgun with someone else’s credit card.

Connor said April bought the weapon by showing her own driver’s license, filling out required paperwork and using the stolen card.

“I did not authorize, nor would have authorized for any reason, the purchase of a deadly weapon by my daughter,” Connor said. “I believe there was a lack of due diligence on the part of the staff at Dick’s.

“No third party should be able to pay for such a weapon or have any form of payment from that third party used to purchase such a weapon,” Connor said.

“I have to live now with the acknowledgement that my daughter killed herself with a weapon she purchased using my credit card,” Connor added. “They should have noticed that her license did not match the name on the card. The sale should have stopped. She would be safe right now.”

A spokeswoman for Dick’s Sporting Goods, headquartered in Coraopolis, Pa., did not return a reporter’s phone messages in which Connor’s complaint was explained. Connor would not say whether she plans to sue the retailer.

Connor said that before her daughter killed herself, she put her wallet and cell phone on the front seat of the car and placed a suicide note inside her pants, “presumably to protect this document from the blood she anticipated would result from the shot.”

In the note, April expressed love for her mother and thanks for the care her mother provided, Connor said.

April’s body was found by police at 5:36 p.m. inside the car, which was parked in an isolated area of area of the mall’s parking lot, on the east side of the Macy’s department store.

Connor said she’s planning to hold a vigil at noon Tuesday at the two vehicle entrances to the mall on U.S. Route 9W to bring attention to her quest for a mental illness database.

For now, though her daughter’s collection of ceramic dragons sits on a bookshelf in the living room, near where the computer used to be — the one April used while feeling a slight draft.
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

While this is definitely a sad situation...
    First they pass an anti-mental health bill, then they say we're all mentally unstable...BINGO! No guns for you!

No law will prevent ANYONE from taking their own life if they are determined to do so.OMOYMV
    OD*, Spirit51, joker1 and 7 others like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Moderator
    Connor is an idiot.

Schumer, being a rabid anti gun fanatic that beleives only Senators should own guns, will jump on it like an ant on a sugar cube, because that is what he does best.
    Spirit51 and oneshot like this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    Well I don't think that it's fair to say that Connor is an idiot, and I don't even know which Connor you're referring to. The younger one had a mental illness; you can't just decide to feel better when you have those things going on. The elder Connor is dealing with the death of a child. I don't blame anyone for being irrational under that circumstance. I think she does have a good point about Dick's selling anything to someone with a credit card not in their name. I'm not sure how I feel about the mental illness database. I don't think it would do anything to protect someone from themselves, but it might have some value at protecting others from mentally unstable individuals. I don't know... I'm usually firmly against anything that even brushes up to the Second Amendment, so my gut feeling is to dislike the idea, but I guess I'd need to put a lot more thought into some actual specifics. I'm certainly against any "waiting periods" for legal purchases...

Here's a sad thought...

The parents are going to get a charge on their credit card account from Dick's, for the purchase of the gun that their daughter used for the suicide. I wonder if the credit ard company, or even Dick's would have the compassion to reverse the charge?
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch; Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote."
    -- Benjamin Franklin

VIP Member
    Yeah, that would be a tough situation. I'm sure that with the legalities involved, they are going to see that show up regardless of how painful it might be. I'm sure Dick's wishes they could make it disappear though.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Those determined to end their lives will not be stopped by any laws. Sad, but that the way it is.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Sad story. Who buys an electric blanket in the spring?
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

So everyone who's been treated for mental illness gets in a database. What's happened to doctor patient confidentiality? What about the restrictions already in place by HIPAA? What if you've been cured of your problem? Because we all know how easy it is to get a record removed from a database when it no longer belongs there, right?

Too many worms being let out of the can with this.
    Spirit51 and atctimmy like this.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

Senior Moderator
    So lets say that she does lobby to the rabid anti gunners that seem to proliferate the Northeast and she gets some form of legislation passed to "protect us all".

She gets the "database" for mental illness that she wants. What then? Even she admits that her daughter seemed to be in "good spirits" when she thought she was purchasing an electric blanket.

And then she makes this statement...
    I did not authorize, nor would have authorized for any reason, the purchase of a deadly weapon by my daughter,” Connor said. “I believe there was a lack of due diligence on the part of the staff at Dick’s.
    Here is a woman that couldn't recognize the fact that her own daughter was not mentally stable, yet in her twisted thought process, she expects the staff at Dicks to be able to tell that her daughter was and because they couldn't, she wants to make it harder for everyone else to purchase a shotgun or a rifle and have to wait for it for it for 48 hours.

Thats some brilliant thinking right there.

BESIDES wanting a mental illness database established, Connor also is angry at Dick’s for letting April buy the shotgun with someone else’s credit card
    That woman needs to get out more. Apparently she isn't aware of the fact that lots of teenagers use their parents credit card.

Sounds to me like she needs to be put on the metal database herself. With her thought process,she is a danger to society.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

mrm
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    While this is definitely a sad situation...
    First they pass an anti-mental health bill, then they say we're all mentally unstable...BINGO! No guns for you!

No law will prevent ANYONE from taking their own life if they are determined to do so.OMOYMV
    Sad situation but I am going to have to give this one a +1
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
    - Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Those determined to end their lives will not be stopped by any laws. Sad, but that the way it is.

^^^^^^^^^^^^YEP^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Very sad, Hopefully the mother can someday come to terms with what happened.

Banning firearms purchases, as they are conducted now, would not have saved her daughter.
    The girl would have drove her moms car into an oncoming semi, jumped off a freeway overpass, tied a cement block to her ankle, and jumped off a pier,,,, well you get the idea.

Tell the mother to get Chuck to legislate against jumping in front of semis, making freeway over-passes jump-proof, ban cement blocks, and close all piers.
    She needs to settle down, and realize her daughter had issues, and reached her breaking point.

This statement the mother made, taken from the article, shows they knew the daughter was unstable.;;

“She seemed calm and normal, even happy for the first time in a while,” Connor said. “Even though I was terribly fearful, I thought it was a good sign that she wanted to go out shopping by herself.”

I really like the under Sheriffs remark here;

ULSTER County Undersheriff Frank Faluotico said a system like the one proposed by Connor seems like a good idea but would be difficult to put in place.

“Her idea sounds great in theory, but the logistics of a law like that really need to be worked out to protect the people’s rights to have firearms,” Faluotico said.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

It is certainly a sad situation and one that is very difficult to prevent for many reasons, some of which have already been stated. Someone who is really intent on taking their own life will do it regardless of any legislation. Her mother is very emotional and in denial which is not uncommon in these situations. It is always someone else's fault, or only if someone had done this or that, it could have been prevented. Many times it is more along the lines of 'the doctors should have caught that or should have run more test'.... you get the picture.

Life sometimes takes an ugly turn and those who remain are left to deal with it. But blaming everyone else or making knee jerk decisiond and legislation based upon those emotions isn't the answer.
    Glock, Colt, S&W,Beretta,ParaOrdnance
    Springfields, Browning, Keltec... to name a few.

TSRA, NRA, IDPA, IPSC, USPSA
    NRA Certified RSO and Instructor
    Certified CHL Instructor in Texas and Lousisiana

She said her daughter had been treated for mental illness, including severe depression, since her growing up in Huntington, on Long Island. She also had been hospitalized locally on several occasions while living Glasco.

Connor also thinks there should be a 48-hour waiting period for anyone seeking to buy a shotgun or rifle. There currently are no waiting period for such purchases, though there are for buying handguns.

Connor said something clearly was amiss with her daughter the afternoon of March 2, but by evening, when the young woman asked to borrow her mother’s credit card so she could buy an electric blanket, perhaps at Target in the mall, she appeared to be in good spirits.

After all, Connor said, mental health experts had told her to encourage signs of independence.

Still, Connor was hesitant, anxious.

“I didn’t want to put my anxiety on her, so I gave her the car keys and let her go,” Connor said.

But Connor said she refused to give her daughter the credit card and stressed the need to properly manage money.
    So why not a 48-hour waiting period to give a psych case your car keys???

Blame the tool, but not your own behaviors?
    Bark'n and oneshot like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by sdprof View Post
    What's happened to doctor patient confidentiality? What about the restrictions already in place by HIPAA? What if you've been cured of your problem?
    Having had some run ins with HIPAA, you might be onto something. I worked with a kid whose parents both had AIDS. When I say worked, it was a residential treatment facility. Basically, I might be responsible for doing any number of things where this type of info might help. But the nurse could not tell us whether the kid was positive. So we just had to treat them like the were, if we got into say a first aid situation. Now that IS standard protocol for first aid. So no really big deal. But if you are not going to give care givers pertinent information, why would you be able to give it to a database?

And it seems she was smart enough to figure out she could probably not get a handgun, and needed to get a long gun. Where there is a will, there is a way.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links