Texas Bill Filed To Allow Open Carry - HB2756

This is a discussion on Texas Bill Filed To Allow Open Carry - HB2756 within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I wrote to my state representative and senator asking that they support this bill..... Representative George Lavender has filed House Bill 2756 in the 82nd ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By DaRedneck
  • 1 Post By RETSUPT99

Thread: Texas Bill Filed To Allow Open Carry - HB2756

Texas Bill Filed To Allow Open Carry - HB2756

I wrote to my state representative and senator asking that they support this bill.....

Representative George Lavender has filed House Bill 2756 in the 82nd Texas Legislature that removes the requirement for concealed handgun license (CHL) holders to keep their handguns concealed at all times.

The bill would repeal sections 46.035 (a) and (h) of the Texas Penal Code; subsection (a) requires that a handgun must remain concealed, and subsection (h) establishes that display of a handgun must be "under circumstances in which the actor would have been justified in the use of deadly force."

HB 2756 also repeals Section 411.171 (3) of the Texas Government Code, which defines "concealed handgun" as "a handgun, the presence of which is not openly discernible to the ordinary observation of a reasonable person."

The bill would strike the word "concealed" from all other statutes that currently reference "concealed handgun," thus effectively removing the concealment requirement for CHL holders. The license would still be required, and concealed carry would remain an option along with open carry.

Legislation Filed to Allow Handgun Open-holster Carry - TF&G Forums
    garyacman likes this.
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

2. Remove Ads

Go TX...
    I wonder who will get it first, TX or FL?
    Chevyguy85 likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

GM
    That sounds very good . Good luck
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    I am keeping my fingers crossed but not holding my breath. If by some miracle it does pass I will have to hit up one of the custom holster guys on here for a sweet looking rig!

Should be interesting.

If It passes I will have to make a most excellent bar-b-q holster and gun belt for my 1911 for those days I wanta let it hang out
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Well, I heard today from a reliable source that this has died in the senate. It could not get the 2/3 it needed. I can't believe that with a super majority they could not get this done. My source, Jim, says that it has about a 10% chance of passing now. I am still keeping my fingers crossed.
    "He who does not punish evil commands it to be done." - Leonardo da Vinci

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Republicans caving in is becoming quite common place lately.

Quote Originally Posted by DaRedneck View Post
    Well, I heard today from a reliable source that this has died in the senate. It could not get the 2/3 it needed. I can't believe that with a super majority they could not get this done. My source, Jim, says that it has about a 10% chance of passing now. I am still keeping my fingers crossed.
    It's not even in the senate yet. It's got a committee hearing this Thursday and I hope that all of you who say you want this to pass will help us get it passed. Join the people who introduced the bill. Lone Star Citizens Defense League This is how our country got into it's trouble in the first place and how a nothing like Obama got to be President. People doing nothing and then complaining about the state of the union. Lock and Load!

If there's any Republican caving, it's us who let them cave by not doing our part. Call, fax, write letters. Make them stronger by letting them know that we're behind them and at the same time, we're watching them.

"Oh but that doesn't sound like much fun. I'd rather go to the range and....." What range?!? Someday, there won't be any range because "We The People" didn't do our part and kick these politicians in the ass and make them do their jobs. Gotta remind them sometimes, or all the time.

So call, fax and write all of the reps and politely ask that they vote for HB 2756 and other good bills and oppose bad bills. Be specific with bill numbers. Researching this stuff is so easy these days with the internet. Go to the government website of your state or the US site and read the bills, vomit and then start getting on their asses. Then tell all of your friends to get on their asses till your friends are sick of hearing about it or does something too.

LSCDL is made up of a bunch of us plain old "We The People" types who got tired of waiting for someone else to get this stuff done and tired of the..... [things I wanted to say here but won't]. It's been 140 years since the rights of Texans were hijacked and it's about time our Constitutional Rights that were taken away were restored.
    I ain't what I otta be, I ain't what I wanta be, I ain't what I could be,

But thank God, I ain't what I used to be,
    And, Praise God, I ain't what I'm gonna be!

II Cor 3:18

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    If It passes I will have to make a most excellent bar-b-q holster and gun belt for my 1911 for those days I wanta let it hang out
    When I wrote my representative I made a point of tying in the economic benefit to the state of all of the custom holsters that would be sold in the state as a result of this passing.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Quote Originally Posted by mcp1810 View Post
    When I wrote my representative I made a point of tying in the economic benefit to the state of all of the custom holsters that would be sold in the state as a result of this passing.
    Yes. When Rep Lavender finished closing, he and the committee members chatted for a few minutes before moving on. Driver asked Lavender if he wanted to go in with him selling "Bling Holsters" after this passes and Rep Beck said she was going to shop for a pretty gun belt and holster for open carry. Pretty good stuff. The LSCDL members did a fantastic job testifying.

Please consider joining as a lifetime or sustaining member. Join Lone Star Citizen's Defense League
    I ain't what I otta be, I ain't what I wanta be, I ain't what I could be,

But thank God, I ain't what I used to be,
    And, Praise God, I ain't what I'm gonna be!

II Cor 3:18

Open targets?

I am a bit worried about this bill. I do not mind at all if they take the penalties out for accidental displays or such. Don't mind if they allow open carry, but I am hoping they do not try to modify it to where we are REQUIRED to carry open. As a former officer here in TX, I know that I personally do not want to be the first person shot when violent offenders scope out a potential crime target. It is well known that bank guards are usually the first to get shot or deactivated in a robbery because they are obviously carrying weapons to stop same. I do not want that to be me or my family targeted first.
    I am hoping that most all of you have preplanned in your mind for "what if's" in certain situations. Obviously the element of surprise is very important to defending one's position or role in a violent action in public. it does not take a rocket scientist bad guy to know who they will shoot first when it comes to robbing a bank, store, restuarant or such. Of course the other side of this is IF enough people carried open as they do in Arizona and Alaska and other states that allow it, perhaps the bad guys will think twice about taking on so many armed citizens. But currently here in the DFW area there are so many antigun citizens that it will be pure hell for those that carry open. Businesses that as of now, do not worry with the TX "30.06" no weapons notice because they do not see the number of those carrying, may decide to ban weapons on their property once open carry is allowed.
    I do feel it is our right to be armed at all times and I appreciate any law that supports that. Eliminating penalties for inadvertant displays is awesome. But I hope this law does not "shoot us in the foot" so to speak and cause more antigunners and businesses to speak out against us by.
    Time will tell.
    God bless and "keep yore powder dry"

I just read the legislation passed the house committee by a vote of 5-3......

Let us hope this gets through the house and senate! The campus carry bill has again died after multiple attempts to get it through.....
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

So who voted nay in the DHS sub committee?

So who voted nay in the DHS sub committee? 5 yays, 3 nays, 1 no vote. The legislative page for this bill does not provide who voted each way. It would be nice to know who not to vote for next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnhozes View Post
    I am a bit worried about this bill. I do not mind at all if they take the penalties out for accidental displays or such. Don't mind if they allow open carry, but I am hoping they do not try to modify it to where we are REQUIRED to carry open. As a former officer here in TX, I know that I personally do not want to be the first person shot when violent offenders scope out a potential crime target. It is well known that bank guards are usually the first to get shot or deactivated in a robbery because they are obviously carrying weapons to stop same. I do not want that to be me or my family targeted first.
    I am hoping that most all of you have preplanned in your mind for "what if's" in certain situations. Obviously the element of surprise is very important to defending one's position or role in a violent action in public. it does not take a rocket scientist bad guy to know who they will shoot first when it comes to robbing a bank, store, restuarant or such. Of course the other side of this is IF enough people carried open as they do in Arizona and Alaska and other states that allow it, perhaps the bad guys will think twice about taking on so many armed citizens. But currently here in the DFW area there are so many antigun citizens that it will be pure hell for those that carry open. Businesses that as of now, do not worry with the TX "30.06" no weapons notice because they do not see the number of those carrying, may decide to ban weapons on their property once open carry is allowed.
    I do feel it is our right to be armed at all times and I appreciate any law that supports that. Eliminating penalties for inadvertant displays is awesome. But I hope this law does not "shoot us in the foot" so to speak and cause more antigunners and businesses to speak out against us by.
    Time will tell.
    God bless and "keep yore powder dry"

I lived in Alaska recently, they have a concealed carry permit but it is not mandatory to carry. A citizen over 16 years of age may carry openly and in the time I lived there I never heard of a problem related to carrying in public, either concealed or open. There are great arguments on both sides, one states that he would rather keep his weapon concealed until needed and some feel that keeping them in the open would provide deter criminal acts by presence. Either way, when a person who carries is wise, if in a vehicle, to keep the hands at the 10 and 2 position on the wheel and calmly inform the officer that you are carrying a weapon. Don't go searching for drivers licenses and paperwork until the officer feels the scene is secure and asks you to do so.

Personally I carried both ways in Alaska. It was oddly common to see men and women walk into a grocery store with a pistol holstered and in plain sight. Most thought nothing of it. Depending upon my task of the day AND neighborhood, I'd definitely carry open if allowed.

Links