NRA responds to Obama's new gun control laws (vid.)

This is a discussion on NRA responds to Obama's new gun control laws (vid.) within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; YouTube - NRA Response To President Obama's Op-ed on Gun Laws...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By crue2009

Thread: NRA responds to Obama's new gun control laws (vid.)

Last edited by crue2009; March 28th, 2011 at 03:35 PM.
    Truckinfavis likes this.

Sounds good until you get to their call for "at least 10 prosecutions per month", support for the drug war and their apparent endorsement of repression in other areas except the people they think should have guns. If they had simply said they don't want the government using guns as a scapegoat and left it at that, then fine. Unfortunately, they don't just stop there, they invite federal action in other areas of law enforcement and I can't agree with a good portion of their response. This is why I am a GOA member.

I respectfully disagree, peckman. Had they merely said the tired old "stop picking on guns" argument it comes across as defensive whining. They offered a sound course of action in a positive manner that would likely achieve Obama's stated goals without affecting legal gun ownership. I believe a constructive message like this one can get congressional support as an alternative to legal gun control. Just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by OldLincoln View Post
    I respectfully disagree, peckman. Had they merely said the tired old "stop picking on guns" argument it comes across as defensive whining. They offered a sound course of action in a positive manner that would likely achieve Obama's stated goals without affecting legal gun ownership. I believe a constructive message like this one can get congressional support as an alternative to legal gun control. Just my opinion.
    I don't think so. Arbitrarily saying that there needs to be 10 prosecutions per month is a slight to the rule of law. Who exactly is going to get prosecuted? I see that and I'm reminded of the Janet Reno-inspired hysteria against child molesters, real or imagined, before she became Attorney General. How is the government going to define "mentally ill", and what is the NRA doing supporting an aspect of gun control laws that takes away your constitutional rights based on what some doctor or psychiatrist writes about you, and with no due process beyond that? Why are they expressing support for a drug war that is responsible for far more violence than the drugs it seeks to "protect" us from, especially when much of that violence is used to justify more gun control by statists everywhere? I'm all for them coming up with constructive ideas, but the stuff in that letter was not constructive.

Sponsored Links