Oral arguments in Ezell v. Chicago

This is a discussion on Oral arguments in Ezell v. Chicago within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Fascinating interchange regarding the Constitutionality of Chicago's total ban on gun ranges within city limits. The mindset of Chicago officials is on full display. http://www.ca7.uscourts.gov/tmp/6R0WSYPC.mp3...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By dukalmighty

Thread: Oral arguments in Ezell v. Chicago

Fascinating interchange regarding the Constitutionality of Chicago's total ban on gun ranges within city limits.
    The mindset of Chicago officials is on full display.

http://www.ca7.uscourts.gov/tmp/6R0WSYPC.mp3
    The United States Constitution 1791. All Rights Reserved.

This is fascinating, thank you very much for posting.

Amazing! I listened to 8+ minutes of this and had to quit! My brain began to hurt listening to the stupidity of the female judge. How can anyone that illogical become a judge!!! Oh wait--never mind, this is Chicago. That explains it all!
    Live to ride, ride to live. Harley Road King And keep a .45 handy Kimber Custom TLE II

If you can get past her it gets good about the 19 minute mark. They rip into the city's arguments pretty thoroughly.
    Gets really good about 30 minutes.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

VIP Member
    The 3 judge pannel has a lefty-lib who is prominent in the beginning, but the other 2 judges grill the city's attorney and one of them basically states that the city will not likely prevail on the merits of the case when it goes to the permanent injunction phase - it is currently in the temporary injunction phase. It is well worth listening to the whole thing. At least 1 of the judges notes that both the city and District court failed to understand the basis for the lawsuit and they were offering red herring defenses that were not pertinent to the case.

Thanks for posting.
    "I've noticed that everyone that is pro-abortion has already been born." - Ronald Reagan

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Distinguished Member Array TerriLi's Avatar
    Thanks for the short write up for those of us on dino modems.
    I know not what this "overkill" means.

Honing the knives, Cleaning the longguns, Stocking up ammo.

Distinguished Member Array Lotus222's Avatar
    I've said it once, and I'll say it again. I absolutely never plan on setting foot in that city. Ever.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by TerriLi View Post
    Thanks for the short write up for those of us on dino modems.
    Another interesting thing was that the city does not see the constitutional issue with mandating that you must have a permit to own a gun for self defense, you must have live fire training to get that permit and you cannot have live fire training in Chicago - you must go elsewhere. The elsewhere travel was the red herring. That they are mandating the training and prohibiting it at the same time is the issue at bar.

I thought the attorney for the agrieved party missed a great opportunity to point out that the city/state/feds run several ranges in Chicago and they don't have the supposed issues that the city states shooting ranges, indoors or otherwise, will have. It was noted that the gov'ts have these ranges, but nobody connected the dots that while the city states such ranges are inherently dangerous and should not be allowed, there have been no incidents of issues with the government run ranges that are already there. Possibly this was covered in the briefs that were already filed with the appeals court or in the record from the district court level, but it sure felt like making this argument for the appeals court judges would have made sense.
    "I've noticed that everyone that is pro-abortion has already been born." - Ronald Reagan

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

VIP Member
    K, thanks for posting the synopsis, as it were. I lacked the opportunity and patience to listen to the thing. I appreciate your taking the time to put up what you did.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    K, thanks for posting the synopsis, as it were. I lacked the opportunity and patience to listen to the thing. I appreciate your taking the time to put up what you did.
    Somebody had to take one for the team,I hope the visit to the psychiatrist can help you overcome the trauma you incurred
    oneshot likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    Another interesting thing was that the city does not see the constitutional issue with mandating that you must have a permit to own a gun for self defense, you must have live fire training to get that permit and you cannot have live fire training in Chicago - you must go elsewhere. The elsewhere travel was the red herring. That they are mandating the training and prohibiting it at the same time is the issue at bar.

I thought the attorney for the agrieved party missed a great opportunity to point out that the city/state/feds run several ranges in Chicago and they don't have the supposed issues that the city states shooting ranges, indoors or otherwise, will have. It was noted that the gov'ts have these ranges, but nobody connected the dots that while the city states such ranges are inherently dangerous and should not be allowed, there have been no incidents of issues with the government run ranges that are already there. Possibly this was covered in the briefs that were already filed with the appeals court or in the record from the district court level, but it sure felt like making this argument for the appeals court judges would have made sense.
    The attorney(Gura) didn't, but one of the judges asked if fights broke out at the police range, and pointed out the very courthouse where they were also has a range.
    "The right of the whole people, old and young, men, women and boys, and not militia only, to keep and bear arms of every description, not such merely as are used by the militia, shall not be infringed, curtailed, or broken in upon, in the smallest degree..."
    Nunn v. State GA 1848

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    I was in the car a bit today, so I listened to it on the drive. It was rather enlightening, the arrogance by the Chicago lawyer was beyond belief, but it rings true with the exiting Chicago administration.

Sponsored Links