North Carolina HB 650 Amend various gun laws

This is a discussion on North Carolina HB 650 Amend various gun laws within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Here's the big one. School carry in vehicles. Parks carry. Preemption with real teeth. Parade carry. City and county display codes struck. Bank CC struck. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Here's the big one. School carry in vehicles. Parks carry. Preemption with real teeth. Parade carry. City and county display codes struck. Bank CC struck. Reciprocity with all state CC permits.

The only thing I don't see is admission. But it's hard to read with all the stuff struck, lol.

What needs to be fixed, altered, or added? Let's get on it.

http://www.ncleg.net/gascripts/BillL...20&BillID=h650

OK, school property is more locked in car than carried on person in car. Need to work on that.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

VIP Member
    Lots of positive changes, we are making progress finally.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Linky no worky.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Try this linky.

North Carolina General Assembly - House Bill 650 Information/History (2011-2012 Session)

Cut and paste seems to kill links.

It needs some tweaking, so let your Reps know. But it's a good start.

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Also,
    * removes a lot of the garbage restrictions on when a sheriff can deny a CHP.
    * addresses "state of emergency" ban on carry

All in all, a damn good bill. we'll see how much, if any, of it survives

Quote Originally Posted by tflhndn View Post
    Also,
    * removes a lot of the garbage restrictions on when a sheriff can deny a CHP.
    * addresses "state of emergency" ban on carry

All in all, a damn good bill. we'll see how much, if any, of it survives
    Nice, I missed the SOE language. There is a lot in there, I was scanning it for the highlights. Gonna look deeper later. It's obnoxious to read it with it all jammed together though. It's hard to tell where one section ends and the next begins, even with the statute #'s. This one will be a dog fight in committee.

On the plus side, if this gets to the floor (which I am not holding my breath for) I think it actually has a chance of passing without too many amendments...

Any update on the status of this bill?

Quote Originally Posted by pica View Post
    Any update on the status of this bill?
    Passed first reading, referred to House Judiciary Subcommittee C. Contact info for Sub here.

North Carolina General Assembly - Judiciary Subcommittee C (House Standing Committee)

I don't see that it's scheduled to be heard yet. Been busy and lost track of some of this stuff recently though.

PLease write your State rep to support this bill,. and if you have a mind, pelase contact the Primary sponser of this bill, Rep. Hastings (Kelly.Hastings@ncleg.net). He has gotten a lot of flack for submitting this bill.

Let him know we appreciate his efforts. (He is a first-term rep, so he will expecially appreciate hearing from those who support his actions

OK folks, the bill is out of committee and heading back to the House. HUGE changes have been made to this and they rolled more legislation into it. I really don't have time to wade through personally. But here is the list from GRNC.

* Castle Doctrine (a strong version comparable to SB 34, which earlier passed the Senate);
    * Permitting concealed handgun permit-holders to have firearms in locked vehicles on educational property;
    * Enabling rifle and shotgun purchases in non-contiguous states beyond NC;
    * Allowing guns in locked vehicles at businesses or places of employment;
    * Reducing issuing times for concealed handgun permits from 90 to 45 days;
    * Reducing penalties for minor CHP violations to civil infractions; and
    * Changing concealed handgun to straight recognition of out-of-state permits;

It also seems to strike most of the restrictions form the CC scope of permit except carry on educational property and in state buildings IIRC. There is also an odd reference to taking away an employers liability if they allow CC on premises for employees. Seems that they could post. But if they don't post, or simply allow carry the employer is not liable. At least that's my take.

Here is the new bill.

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/Sessions...PDF/H650v2.pdf

Send those emails!

VIP Member
    A lot of changes for the better but they did leave out restaurant carry; maybe we have a hope yet.

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    A lot of changes for the better but they did leave out restaurant carry; maybe we have a hope yet.
    Here's where it gets odd. They struck it out of the CC scope of permit. Not sure how they applies to the actual GS statute for not carrying where alcohol is served though. But from the looks of it, they are exempting CC holders from the law by striking it out of the scope of permit. If I am reading this right, the only places we would not be allowed to carry are education facilities and state building (except rest areas). But with a bill this big, it's hard to keep up with what they are changing. Go to page 11 of the above link and see what you think.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    Here's where it gets odd. They struck it out of the CC scope of permit. Not sure how they applies to the actual GS statute for not carrying where alcohol is served though. But from the looks of it, they are exempting CC holders from the law by striking it out of the scope of permit. If I am reading this right, the only places we would not be allowed to carry are education facilities and state building (except rest areas). But with a bill this big, it's hard to keep up with what they are changing. Go to page 11 of the above link and see what you think.
    So many strikeouts it’s hard to keep track, looks like they removed the prohibition against CC in financial institutions also.

HB 650 passed 2nd and 3rd reading today in the House and will be headed to the Senate. When it gets to the Senate we need to work to get the firearms in vehicles on private property put back in. It was unfortunately stripped out of the bill today. The bill with all relevant votes is here, see how your Rep voted and email accordingly.

North Carolina General Assembly - House Bill 650 Information/History (2011-2012 Session)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links