What GUN laws would you like to see repealed?

This is a discussion on What GUN laws would you like to see repealed? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I know that there a lot of diverse opinions on this board and it comes from all 50 states. Without getting too political,and too heated, ...

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: What GUN laws would you like to see repealed?

Senior Moderator

I know that there a lot of diverse opinions on this board and it comes from all 50 states.

Without getting too political,and too heated, what gun laws would you like to see repealed? If you woke up and found out that we had a President and a Congress that would like to get back to the basics of which this great country of ours was founded upon, how far would you be willing to take it?

It seems that we run the full spectrum of gun owners here, from those that would regulate every aspect of them all in the name of safety, to those that would have no laws at all.

Where would you stand if the seemingly impossible took place and there was a chance that we went back to common sense instead of the theatrics that we call "law" today?

I'll start it off.

I say that every single law on the books that deal with guns be done away with,abolished completely. Violent felons would be hanged, so no issues there with felons in possession.

No NFA laws. NO registration. NO CHL laws. NO law limiting magazine capacity, no guns outlawed because some politician doesn't like the color of them or the fact that they shoot alot.

Ponder on it a bit before you post...but lets see where it would take us.
    Chevyguy85 likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    NFA 1934, GCA 1968, FOPA 1968 these would do for a start.
    surefire7, Tzadik and Bark'n like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

it'll make it short and simple. The 2nd Amendment states the right to bear arms. Why do you have to jump through so many hoops to exercise that right? Why can't they just run background checks and criminal history checks when you try to buy from a FFL dealer and eliminate the need of a CCW permits altogether?
    I believe in Democracy but I'm not a Democrat
    I believe in Liberty but I'm not a Liberal
    I believe in Guns but I don't believe in Gun Violence

I'm not sure "repealed" is in order so much as "enacted" - but my list would include:
    1. complete 50-state + territories (e.g., Puerto Rico & Guam) reciprocity for carry permits, same as drivers' licenses
    2. no "one gun a month" and no "permit to purchase" restrictions
    3. change/repeal the current restrictions on machine guns in FOPA '86
    4. eliminate "silencers" (suppressors) from the restrictions in NFA
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

VIP Member
    Repeal them all and enforce the 2A as written. Possibly add a law to require all heads of house to have a gun in the house.
    OD*, poppy37, bigdog44 and 1 others like this.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    Repeal them all and enforce the 2A as written. possible add a law to require all heads of house to have a gun in the house.
    agreed. Don't some states or counties somewhere in the country have the law where there must be one gun in every household? I swear I have read that somewhere....

Ahh here I found this:

In 1982, the Kennesaw City Council in Georgia voted unanimously to pass a law that requiring all heads of households to own at least one firearm with ammunition.

The ordinance states the gun law is needed to “protect the safety, security and general welfare of the city and its inhabitants.”

Amazingly, Kennesaw Historical Society president Robert Jones said after the law passed, the crime rate in the city dropped 89 percent. Compare that huge drop to the modest 10 percent drop statewide in Georgia and you have a pretty bizarre statistic.
    EDC: FN FNP-9 w/ three 16 rnd magazines. Mini Maglite.

" The unarmed man is not just defenseless, he is also contemptible." ~ Machiavelli.

Senior Moderator
    That would be Kennesaw Georgia.

The libs threw a dog squallin fit about that one, but it still stands today...
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Where I live you have a 10 day "cooling off" waiting period before you can take possession of the guy you just purchased. This includes long guns.
    Seems rather silly that you can have a CCW and be standing there at the counter armed but for your own safety and the safety of others you must return in 10 days to pick up your newly purchased firearm. Whoever thought this one up could have at least made this applicable to only the FIRST time purchase....but the folks that dream this crap up don't own firearms.
    I'd like to see the stats on how many lives this law has saved!!!!!

I'll start out small. I want my CWP to suffice as proof of a clean background when purchasing a gun in my state without further requirement for another time consuming, costly and redundant background check.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rotorblade View Post
    Where I live you have a 10 day "cooling off" waiting period before you can take possession of the guy you just purchased.
    You still have slavery where you live?

FOPA '86 changed to allow new machineguns into the registry, and suppressors to a $5 tax stamp, please.
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Xader View Post
    You still have slavery where you live?
    darn I was just about to post "hahahahahahahahhah" but he fixed it :)
    EDC: FN FNP-9 w/ three 16 rnd magazines. Mini Maglite.

" The unarmed man is not just defenseless, he is also contemptible." ~ Machiavelli.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    I say that every single law on the books that deal with guns be done away with,abolished completely. Violent felons would be hanged, so no issues there with felons in possession.
    What would we do about non violent felons? Our justice system seems to think the answer to punishing crime is to just make it a felony. Just a thought.

I'm sure I would not have felt this way several years ago. But the rest of it I'm pretty cool with. I've come to the conclusion that laws don't do a good job at stopping crime. And machine guns look like fun!
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    What would we do about non violent felons?
    If our justice system worked right then non violent felons should be allowed to carry a gun AFTER they paid their full debt to society. Violent felons should be dead.
    I haven’t heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

With no restrictions you are allowed to purchase an unlimited amount of guns then, as history has shown, entrepreneurial types will sell guns to bad people in large quantities with no regard for the harm it will do. Not good. Some sort of monthly purchase limitation should be enacted.

Also an age limit on gun purchase.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links