Curious about status of CA CCW

This is a discussion on Curious about status of CA CCW within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am considering moving to CA for a job. Unfortunately CA has a reputation for only issuing CWP's to personal friends/contributors and celebrities. I have ...

Thread: Curious about status of CA CCW

Curious about status of CA CCW

I am considering moving to CA for a job. Unfortunately CA has a reputation for only issuing CWP's to personal friends/contributors and celebrities. I have been searching the internet and not been able to find much information, mostly what I find is information about police corruption. However I garner that progress is being made and I was wondering if there are any current court cases or recent news that are worth following
    "In a world of compromise, some don't." -HK

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    From my understanding, it depends on what part of CA your in on the ability to get a permit. Areas like Los Angles and San Francisco are nearly impossible for the average person. Get out of the major county's and it becomes easier.

I hope the job is a REALLY good job. While you may be making 3 times what you are in NC, your cost of living out there will more than eat that increase in pay.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

As far as I know, Kern County is about the only place in CA you can reasonably expect to get a permit.
    Courage is endurance for one moment more…

Hollowpoints might expand, but bullets won't shrink.

Μολών Λαβέ

There are other counties that issue as well. What county is the potential job located in?
    To sit back hoping that someday, some way, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last - but eat you he will.
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    From my understanding, it depends on what part of CA your in on the ability to get a permit. Areas like Los Angles and San Francisco are nearly impossible for the average person. Get out of the major county's and it becomes easier.
    Yup...the job is in San Francisco. I don't plan to live in SF though, I'll probably get a place in Sausalito or Pacifica...which still keeps me in Marin county, which is currently a "no issue to regular citizens" county.

It is legal to UOC, but the cops hate it and are constantly stopping OC'ers and e-checking them, making a big scene out of it and then asking business owners "are you SURE you want to allow this person on your private property??" It's also pretty much impossible to OC while wearing a coat or jacket.

In response to the growing UOC movement, which is being highly uncooperatie with police officers by exercising their rights to the FULLEST extent by refusing to identify themselves or do anything not required by law, this is giving OC'ers a bad name and politicians are considering banning OC...saying, "if they want to carry, why not just apply for a CCW?"

At the same time, I hear that there is a lot of litigation against the unconstitutional blanket denials of CCW to regular citizens, and in response it is starting to become easier to acquire CCW...and I've also heard there is a possibility that there will be a statewide standardization that may actually make it possible to acquire a CCW regardless of county. I was wondering if anyone had any further information about this.

Personally, I just want to carry for personal protection without being forced to make a scene that gets me detained and thrown out of businesses.

I hope the job is a REALLY good job. While you may be making 3 times what you are in NC, your cost of living out there will more than eat that increase in pay.
    Yeah, housing is ridiculous, it costs upwards of $2000/mo to live in a shoe-box studio in the city, but outside of the city you can get a decent 1 bdrm place for $1600-2000 (still more than double what it would cost in NC). Taxes are high. I gather that most things cost about twice as much as anywhere else...but I tend to buy most of my stuff other than food and gas online anyway.
    "In a world of compromise, some don't." -HK

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    And to think I lived there for 10 years while in the Military and never was I allowed to legally carry on or off base. As soon as my second term was up I was out of there. Now I live in GA where I carry all day long everyday and to almost anywhere. I would move back to Califronia next month if they got serious and repealed 95% of the liberal legislation that is about anti-constitutional as it gets.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Links