D.C. residents unable to register handguns

This is a discussion on D.C. residents unable to register handguns within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; WTOP.com - Shot down: D.C. residents unable to register handguns A temporary, de facto ban is in place because the one man who could facilitate ...

Senior Member Array Chad Rogers's Avatar

WTOP.com - Shot down: D.C. residents unable to register handguns

A temporary, de facto ban is in place because the one man who could facilitate handgun ownership in the nation's capital has stopped taking registration orders.

Since the lifting of the handgun ban in June 2008, Charles Sykes has processed more than 1,000 handguns for District residents. Sykes tells WTOP he's stopped taking orders for now.

"I've lost my lease," Sykes said in a phone interview. "I'll take care of the customers who already placed orders, but I don't want to take any more until I know where I will reopen."

VIP Member
    Sykes is the sole proprietor of C S Exchange, the only licensed firearm dealer in the city that will transfer guns for individuals. Sykes doesn't sell the guns -- there are no gun stores in D.C. His company facilitates the transfer of guns from out of state stores into the District for a fee of $125 per gun.
    Ouch, the dealers around here only charge $25 for transfer.

Zoning regulations require gun dealers to locate in either a commercial zone or industrial zone. Most of the District is either zoned for residential use or is federal land. There is also the added restriction of dealers not being able to open a shop within 300 feet of any home, church, school, library or playground.
    You can now have a gun in DC but the city government will make it impossible to obtain one.

"It's not fair," she tells WTOP. "I followed the law. Criminals bring guns into the city. It's frustrating."
    The ban did not stop them before and will have no effect on criminals now.
    Last edited by msgt/ret; April 29th, 2011 at 10:07 AM.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

It is simple, move out of DC and take your tax base with you. Stop spending money in DC, buy your gas outside of the district, and bag your lunch. Don't give that city a DIME of income.

I visited DC for the first time this past year. I was astounded by the amount of public money that sustains that entire city. So many government jobs and jobs that are funded with public money...

Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    It is simple, move out of DC and take your tax base with you. Stop spending money in DC, buy your gas outside of the district, and bag your lunch. Don't give that city a DIME of income.
    And there's the thing....it is just a CITY....why can't these residents just go to another city in MD and buy their guns?

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post
    And there's the thing....it is just a CITY....why can't these residents just go to another city in MD and buy their guns?
    It seems to me that DC is a district separate from MD, and therefore DC residents likely cannot buy guns in MD, as they would be considered "out-of-state purchasers".

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotus222 View Post
    I visited DC for the first time this past year. I was astounded by the amount of public money that sustains that entire city. So many government jobs and jobs that are funded with public money...
    We did a little family vacation up there a few weeks ago. The blatant Gov't waste was staggering. Watching thugs scope sheep out on the metro was interesting (the sheeples have Ipods plugged into their ears and never look up - they just hide in their little imaginary world until somebody busts their bubble). It was educational for my kid, but depressing for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus222 View Post
    It is the Capitol

Quote Originally Posted by Xader View Post
    It seems to me that DC is a district separate from MD, and therefore DC residents likely cannot buy guns in MD, as they would be considered "out-of-state purchasers".

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
    You are 100% correct.

Is there any information on just how or why Mr. Sykes "lost" his lease? Inquiring minds want to know.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sdprof View Post
    Is there any information on just how or why Mr. Sykes "lost" his lease? Inquiring minds want to know.

Seems rather convenient to say the least that only ONE GUY in an entire city is allowed to register the guns,...and "somehow" he just so "happens" to lose his lease.

I typically only focus on facts, but this seems pretty sketchy

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

I think he lost his lease because of zoning issues.
    Firearms Training of Western New York
    http://www.ftwny.com
    716-903-2558

Links