WSJ attacks "Tactical Knives"

This is a discussion on WSJ attacks "Tactical Knives" within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Janq, I realize the statement quoted may be out of context. However, I read it differently that you. To say a company markets its knives ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WSJ attacks "Tactical Knives"

Janq,

I realize the statement quoted may be out of context. However, I read it differently that you.

To say a company markets its knives for circumstances where "shooting is not appropriate" -- to ME -- is different from saying their knives are for situations when *carrying* a gun is inappropriate. That is still politically incorrect, but makes a lot more sense. The use of the the term "shooting" indicates they are contemplating a situation where there is a firearm available, its just not "appropriate" to use... Do you see the distinction that I see in my mind?

I have trouble coming up with realistic defensive situations in which I have a knife and a gun that is accessible (different story if I can't get to it -- I don't think that is a question of "appropriateness" though) and I chose to go hand to hand and take my chances with the knife.

In your example, I am not sure richochet is a huge concern. At the distances where using a knife is a realistic option, a miss should be unlikely. Richocheting bullets aren't a good thing, but sometimes life puts you into a bad situation and it may still be better statistically for me and those around me than trying to neutralize a lethal threat with a knife when a gun is available.

I am sure we can think up a movie-like situation where the knife has to be used in place of a firearm (in the high school chemistry lab and all the natural gas jets have been on all night, making an explosion imminent...), but I still find that statement to be very odd coming from a knife seller.
    DDGator (Duane)
    www.RealWorldCarryGear.com

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    For those of you who missed the story of the ex-Marine in Atlanta who killed one BG and wounded another here is a link to the thread where it was discussed on Combat Carry.

http://www.combatcarry.com/vbulletin...ad.php?t=10054
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Ooops. I did miss that... Sad story but he did what he had to do. I guess the WSJ would prefer that he didn't have a knife to defend himself against this crowd? Or maybe he should have inflicted smaller wounds more in line with his smaller blade?

(Sound of DDGator banging head on wall)
    DDGator (Duane)

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Don't forget the hysterical part about plastic and ceramic knives that can make it through metal detectors - hmm, that sounds familiar, like the same rant a few years back about polymer guns.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DDGator
    Ooops. I did miss that... Sad story but he did what he had to do. I guess the WSJ would prefer that he didn't have a knife to defend himself against this crowd? Or maybe he should have inflicted smaller wounds more in line with his smaller blade?

(Sound of DDGator banging head on wall)
    What the WSJ fails to understand is that the person using the blade makes more difference than the length of the blade. An ex-Marine trained in hand-to-hand combat will create wounds with a 2 in. blade that the average man on the street would be hard pressed to duplicate with a 3.5 in. blade. It's all in knowing where and how to use the blade.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Assistant Administrator
    Further to that George - where user skill can gain greater effects from smaller blades, is the other big factor - namely that of user intent.

This applies to us as ever - meaning that mere possession and carry of a firearm (or knife) is no de facto reflection on the user's safety or danger factor - the weapon only becomes such when utilized.

Thus the same old deal, exemplified by the old cartoon drawing as below (substitute knife for gun - same deal) - it is not the weapon that is to be feared - it is the owner and his intent. A good guy could be carrying a Samurai sword, Bowie and folder - plus his two carry guns, and represents zero threat but the anti's would not accept that - they as ever blame the objects, and forget (conveniently) that good guys far outnumber bad guys, tho the press would suggest otherwise.

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I just looked at the article again and laughed at the picture at the top -- a picture of the diminutive Buck Metro in bright blue with 1.2 inch blade and bottle opener!

I think I would rather have the bottle...

http://www.buckknives.com/search.php...turn_op=search
    DDGator (Duane)

Senior Member Array ssssthesnake's Avatar
    has any one seen the cold steel vid they will send you a copy with there catalog. that said the gental man in the vid cuts some amazing things with a 1.5 inch blade so size dosnt mater training dose a man can kill with a papper clip a rock hummmmmm wounder if certian kinda rocks a tacticool

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links