A teacher would like some help! - Page 3

A teacher would like some help!

This is a discussion on A teacher would like some help! within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I would recommend sticking with simply the text of the second amendment, move on to current jurisprudence (Heller v D.C; MacDonald v Chicago) mention a ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: A teacher would like some help!

I would recommend sticking with simply the text of the second amendment, move on to current jurisprudence (Heller v D.C; MacDonald v Chicago) mention a few carry cases currently working their way to through the courts (Williams v Maryland; Peruta v San Diego; Peterson v LaCabe) without stating an opinion on the matter (this allows you to avoid becoming to political by simply noting that the courts will have to decide) and then return to the founding fathers. That approach ensures that anyone who complains is arguing against the Supreme Court instead of you.

I'm not sure if you have spent any time with the issue of incorporation (application of the bill of rights to the states via the 14th amendment) but it's likely to come up when you get to amendments that are only partially incorporated (fifth, eighth) or not incorporated at all (seventh).

Ryan
    Those who will not govern their own behavior are slaves waiting for a master; one will surely find them.

Quote Originally Posted by hamlet View Post
    They were mostly researchers and statisticians, perhaps academics if I can remember. Don't recall a particular bias. You could search in Google. discount any that seem political and look at the others. I remember reading one of his, and I could even see for some result he gave involving percentages of something - can't remember the exact area he was examining - there was a whooper of an assumption he was making underlying the result. I'll look around myself if I have a chance.
    It would be interesting to see. My understanding on Kleck is that he came to research guns and such because of the obvious bias to the anti side. He did not think it was right and wanted to check. Like Twain said, Lies, darn lies, and statistics. Everybody seems to argue everyones assumption. I guess it's the nature of the game.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Distinguished Member Array Paymeister's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by greenchicken View Post
    Man you are really rocking the boat here, Can't you talk about normal Government school stuff like same sex marriage or transgender equality or something like that? Geez....
    Dear Mr. or Ms. Chicken,

That was one of the funniest lines I've encountered, ever! And I've been enjoying gags for well over a half-century.

<rant on>
    And as an ex-schoolteacher, I can attest to it being a pretty accurate statement. If any reader has kids, for their sake please consider homeschooling. </rant off>

But really, that would have had the milk coming out of my nose if I had been drinking when I read it. Bravo!
    Recently updated website: http://www.damagedphotorepair.com

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    It would be interesting to see. My understanding on Kleck is that he came to research guns and such because of the obvious bias to the anti side. He did not think it was right and wanted to check. Like Twain said, Lies, darn lies, and statistics. Everybody seems to argue everyones assumption. I guess it's the nature of the game.
    The statistical probability of a long life is what you are smiling about when you get hit by the bus.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Sponsored Links