Constitution Authority??

This is a discussion on Constitution Authority?? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; FORGET THE SECOND AMENDMENT for the moment. Do you think that the Federal Government has Constitutional Authority to legislate firearms?...

View Poll Results: Does the Federal government have Constitutional Authority to legislate firearms?

Voters
111. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

13 11.71%
  • No

94 84.68%
  • Don't know or not sure

4 3.60%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Constitution Authority??

Constitution Authority??

FORGET THE SECOND AMENDMENT for the moment.

Do you think that the Federal Government has Constitutional Authority to legislate firearms?

2. Remove Ads

No, but some may consider gun legislation "providing for the common defense and general welfare."

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Shot View Post
    No, but some may consider gun legislation "providing for the common defense and general welfare."
    some would consider a permit to talk "providing for the common defense and general welfare." IE shutting down talk radio.
    I am sure that with out too much looking you can find some that may consider just about anything "providing for the common defense and general welfare."
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

VIP Member
    Is it in the enumerated powers clause??? Didn't think so. Is it explicitly stated elsewhere in the constitution??? Nope. Is gun legislation by the feds a power grab??? Yup. Is it the only thing the feds are doing that has no constitutional mandate/support??? Not a chance. I'm done.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Shot View Post
    IIRC, the feds actually got there through the much abused interstate commerce clause.
    chefjon and shooterX like this.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

mel
    There are a lot of things that the government controls that they really have no right intruding upon. It is a long list, and I don't want to waste anyone's time. Number one on the list is the issue of gun control at the federal level, its a state thing.
    RugerMak likes this.

I don't understand...How someone can have a "constitutional authority" to legislate something when you say to "forget part of the constitution" (2nd amendment)
    Isn't that like saying "Forget the law against speeding-Do they have the authority to regulate driving habits?"

VIP Member
    Don't be SILLY,

Thats like saying they have the authority to legislate/ban Automobiles, airplanes, swimming pools, knives & buckets .

We need to take back our country.

Before it is taken away from us ALL the way, and substituted with the likes of Canada, certain countries in Europe, China, and the list goes onward and downward.
    RugerMak likes this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Senior Moderator
    Do you think that the Federal Government has Constitutional Authority to legislate firearms?

It doesn't really matter what I think, they do whatever suits them.

ANYTHING, out side of the prescribed law is an infringement.

Paying for a background check is an infringement.
    Submitting a 4473 to a dealer in an infringement.
    Having a Firearms Owners I.S. is an infringement.
    Being allowed so many guns a month is an infringement.
    Going to a class so that I can defend myself is an infringement.
    Assuming that I am guilty of something is an infringement.
    Getting fingerprinted is an infringement.
    Waiting for my purchased property is an infringement.
    Only being able to own a gun that shoots so many shots is an infringement.
    Only being able to own a gun that doesn't have a pistol grip or a folding stock is an infringement.
    Not being allowed to own a certain class of gun because its dangerous is an infringement.
    Calling NICS to make sure I meet their standard before I purchase in an infringement.
    NFA, is an infringement.
    Not being allowed to own a device that makes a gun quieter without paying a tax is an infringement.
    Not being allowed to own a short barreled rifle or shotgun with paying same tax is an infringement.

If you want to get technical about it...most of what the governement does that deals with firearms is an infringement.

Yeah, I forgot about the Second Amendment for a moment. Just think of what I could list if I remembered it...
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

It doesn't matter anymore whether or not they have the Constitutional authority. Fact is, their guns are bigger and they have a lot more of them.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

GM
    No, I do not think so.
    RugerMak likes this.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    NO. The government has overstepped their bounds on many items. It needs to be reduced by more than 50%.
    RugerMak likes this.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^What everyone else said!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    NO!
    RugerMak likes this.
    Freedom.... The Price Keeps Going Up, and the Quality Keeps Going Down.

Until someone mounts a successful appeal of all the various federal gun laws that are on the books and the Supreme Court rules in their favor and declares them unconstitutional, I would say that the government has the authority. I may not agree with it, but there's a lot of stuff in government that I don't agree with. They still do it in spite of my objections though.

The government's authority is the point of a bayonet.

They do what they want by force.

Just because a right isn't mentioned in the Bill of Rights, doesn't mean that it doesn't exist.

If the 2A didn't exist, our right to keep and bear arms still would.

Sent from my phone
    rhinokrk likes this.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links