U.N. Small Arms Treaty would affect US citizens gun ownership?

This is a discussion on U.N. Small Arms Treaty would affect US citizens gun ownership? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've seen this article discussed in the past and I just saw this link that was dated for today's news, I guess this is still ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Varmiter
  • 1 Post By sgb

Thread: U.N. Small Arms Treaty would affect US citizens gun ownership?

VIP Member

I've seen this article discussed in the past and I just saw this link that was dated for today's news, I guess this is still brewing.

I see that this U.N. Small Arms Treaty is still being talked about. I recently read in the news that Obama said something like, "they were working on some gun control measures under the radar". I wonder if this is what he was referring to? I don't think it would hurt at all for everyone to contact their senators.

U.N. Agreement Should Have All Gun Owners Up In Arms - Larry Bell - The Bell Tells for You - Forbes
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar

UN Proposes Small Arms Ban for US

U.N. Agreement Should Have All Gun Owners Up In Arms

READ HERE: U.N. Agreement Should Have All Gun Owners Up In Arms - Larry Bell - The Bell Tells for You - Forbes

SAME THING HAPPENED IN AUSTRALIA A FEW YEARS BACK! SOMETHING ABOUT MY COLD DEAD HANDS!

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

I have been hearing about this for over 10 years. Nothing happens. Also what does Australia s gun ban have to do with the UN?

And since when does the UN dictate US Law?

HTC Thunderbolt....4G Lightning Speed

Senior Moderator
    No treaty may modify or supersede the Constitution. Heller and McDonald make it very clear that there is an individual right to keep and bear arms. No treaty can alter that.

Fortunately for us.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

second post on this subject today

Senior Moderator
    Threads merged
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Here we go again.....Tilting at Windmills

This time it’s not “Hillary signed United Nations Gun Ban Treaty”, and then “Obama’s efforts under the radar”. Now this total BS.

All of this under the guise of a UN treaty that will at best make us register all our guns and at worst take them all away.

One thing I’ve learned over the last few years is:
    If it sounds too good to be true, it turns out not to be true.
    If it sounds to bad to be true, it also turns out not to be true.

Well, first things first. Obama may well be trying to get some sort of UN Gun Control passed under the radar..... Ok.....So What?? That, in itself doesn’t matter a tinker’s damn.

For the professional journalists to go into print, without the needed research is inexcusable.

So, lets explore the known sequence of events followed by the requires sequence of events that need to occur.

Last “Small Arms Conference in the UN was in 2006
    United Nations Small Arms Review Conference 2006

The last UN action was a “list of recommendations in 2008.

Nothing has moved since then.

This so called treaty has yet to be put into print for the “Permanent Members” and “Temporary Voting Members” of the UN for THEIR CONSIDERATION.

IF.....repeat......IF, more than when, this ever gets into print and passes in the UN (not gonna happen), then it needs to “Ratified” by the member states/countries. Obama would THEN need to pass it to the Senate for it’s consideration and “Consent” which requires a 2/3 vote of the FULL senate....thats 67 votes.. Then he (Obama) would be the one to “Ratify” the treaty. In any event, if Ratified, Constitutionally, it would be ONLY be legal so long as it did NOT infringe on America citizens rights while they remain within the CONUS. Of course, if not ‘consented to’ by the Senate, ( and who really thinks the votes are there in the Senate) then the treaty cannot be passed. And even if WE (The US) passed it ourselves, if just one other permanent member of the UN voted “NO” then the treaty fails. End of story.

This type of hype journalism really upsets me. We need to be focused on issues that have a potential of happening rather than those that have a snowball chance in hell of ever seeing daylight.

Chris

Distinguished Member Array onacoma's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by azchevy View Post
    I have been hearing about this for over 10 years. Nothing happens. Also what does Australia s gun ban have to do with the UN?
    Because it is the same Soros Group who pursued and completely highjacked Australia's personal guns! The same group is now working to affect this international ban! George Soros Wants Your Gun | Redstate

You may wish to read these articles as the UN states you have "No Right to Self-Defense!". Here are the links: U.N. To World: You Have No Human Right to Self-Defense and http://www.davekopel.com/2A/LawRev/T...lf-Defense.pdf

Danger Will Robertson! ForeWarned!

In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress. -- John Adams

If you think health care is expensive now, wait until you see what it costs when it's free! -- P.J. O'Rourke

Quote Originally Posted by Backnblack View Post
    And since when does the UN dictate US Law?
    Exactly, the US goes out of it's way to disregard the UN, I'm not to worried about it.

sgb
    ncsteveh likes this.
    "There is a secret pride in every human heart that revolts at tyranny. You may order and drive an individual, but you cannot make him respect you." William Hazlitt (1778 - 1830)

Best Choices for Self Defense Ammunition

Any such treaty would need to be confirmed by the Senate to come into effect here in the U.S., and as already mentioned it would quickly be struck down by the Supreme Court assuming its current justices are there should any treaty be confirmed.
    Current armament:
    Ruger 10/22
    Remington 870 Express 20ga.
    S&W M&P40c
    S&W 642

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    If we get a true conservative/libertarian president next you can bet all deals are off the table for the next 8 years. With Barry in office, you best get your Union Jacks ready, because the chance of treading is high.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

No treaty can trump the US Constitution. There is a UN Resolution stating that the UN will not get involved in gun rights of member countries.

UN General Assembly Resolution A/C.1/64/L.38/Rev.1, Oct. 28: …Acknowledging also the right of States to regulate internal transfers of arms and national ownership, including through national constitutional protections on private ownership, exclusively within their territory…

This stuff has been on the internet ever since Obama took office.

Snopes on the UN Small Arms Treaty:

snopes.com: Small Arms Treaty

International Gun Ban Treaty? | FactCheck.org

Links