CO Supreme Court is hearing the CU gun ban arguments today.

This is a discussion on CO Supreme Court is hearing the CU gun ban arguments today. within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; The Colorado Supreme Court is going to hear arguments today on the total ban at CU. I know a lot of us have been watching ...

Thread: CO Supreme Court is hearing the CU gun ban arguments today.

CO Supreme Court is hearing the CU gun ban arguments today.

The Colorado Supreme Court is going to hear arguments today on the total ban at CU.
    I know a lot of us have been watching this with much interest.

DENVER -- The Colorado Supreme Court will hear arguments Wednesday on whether loaded, concealed guns should be allowed at the University of Colorado.

CU enacted a ban on all concealed weapons decades ago. However, state law prohibits local government from limiting concealed carry rights.

A CU Denver student filed a lawsuit over the issue in 2008.
    State Supreme Court To Decide CU Gun Case - Denver News Story - KMGH Denver

2. Remove Ads

*crosses fingers*
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    CU isn't a "local government." I'm not familiar with CO laws on where firearms are prohibited, but it may very well be legit for the school, as an entity, to prohibit firearms and weapons, just as any other business might.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    CU isn't a "local government." I'm not familiar with CO laws on where firearms are prohibited, but it may very well be legit for the school, as an entity, to prohibit firearms and weapons, just as any other business might.
    You may be right, but if CU is a taxpayer funded public state school, the administrators may well be state employees which could, arguably, make them a local government. We will have to see what the courts come up with.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

What concerns me the most is that they even agreed to hear this case.
    By doing so, they've opened up the door for major problems across the entire states school systems, some of which already allow carry.
    CSU for instance was getting ready to rescind their allowance of carry on campus until the appeals court shot down the CU ban....and then changed their minds.
    I don't know all the voting records for the CO Supreme Court Justices, but I have heard that it's not stellar.

the fact that the Regents are elected officials, the school gets state funding and they are wanting to act like a state type government, but only when it suits them. The Colorado law is very clear:

(1) (a) A permit to carry a concealed handgun authorizes the permittee to carry a concealed handgun in all areas of the state, except as specifically limited in this section. A permit does not authorize the permittee to use a handgun in a manner that would violate a provision of state law. A local government does not have authority to adopt or enforce an ordinance or resolution that would conflict with any provision of this part 2.
    Nothing in here about college campuses.....
    (3) A permit issued pursuant to this part 2 does not authorize a person to carry a concealed handgun onto the real property, or into any improvements erected thereon, of a public elementary, middle, junior high, or high school.

Links