Castle Doctrine headed to Gov, NC

This is a discussion on Castle Doctrine headed to Gov, NC within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Bill loosening NC gun laws heads to Perdue RALEIGH, N.C. Legislators agreed Thursday to ease the state's gun laws to allow more access to ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By msgt/ret
  • 1 Post By ksholder
  • 1 Post By chiefjason
  • 1 Post By RETSUPT99

Thread: Castle Doctrine headed to Gov, NC

VIP Member

Castle Doctrine headed to Gov, NC

Bill loosening NC gun laws heads to Perdue

RALEIGH, N.C. Legislators agreed Thursday to ease the state's gun laws to allow more access to concealed weapons and give gun owners more assurance that they can protect themselves or family members from an intruder entering homes, businesses and vehicles.

The House voted 80-39 for changes to the Senate version of a wide-ranging firearms bill. Gun-rights groups and Republican lawmakers who control the Legislature and are more sympathetic to Second Amendment issues sought the changes.

"This is not breaking new ground, so we'll be conforming to what other states are doing," said Rep. Mark Hilton, R-Catawba, the bill's chief sponsor. "We've gone too far to the left on these issues in the past and too restrictive."

The bill now heading to Gov. Beverly Perdue also had support from a strong Senate majority, making legislation largely veto proof. It wasn't immediately clear whether Perdue would sign the bill, which passed as the General Assembly attempted to end its regular annual session by this weekend.

The lynchpin of the legislation widely expands what's known as the "castle doctrine." It gives legally armed citizens the right to protect themselves against an unlawful entry. Current law may require the shooter inside the home to justify use of weapons with deadly force after the fact.

The approved bill presumes that such weapon firing was lawful under "a reasonable fear of imminent death or serious bodily harm," and the shooter is exempt from civil or criminal liability. The presumption would go beyond the person's home to the workplace and the car if there was a carjacking. Prosecutors could still attempt to persuade a judge or jury the shooting crossed the line.
    Here is hoping she will sign it.
    bwalker25 and oneshot like this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I hope she signs it or lets it go into law without signature. The veto proof votes pretty much eliminate the likelihood of a veto.
    bwalker25 likes this.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

GM
    It sounds good. Good luck!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Good luck, hope it makes it into law! Delaware could use such a law.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

It was weakened a bit over time. But it's a far better CD than the one we could not get out of committee last year. Plus some other perks like state park carry, bank carry, civil immunity for the CD, and some positive changes to the permit process. It's absolutely a step in the right direction.
    bwalker25 likes this.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Where are they at on repealing the asinine "Emergency Declaration" rule?
    I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

Congrats to NC...'bout time!
    bwalker25 likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I was reading about this very thing on another forum.

I hope she signs it before today is up! How long does she have to sign it until it automatically becomes law?
    I don't carry a gun because I'm angry.
    I carry a gun so that I don't have to spend the rest of my life hating
    myself for failing to be prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by bwalker25 View Post

I hope she signs it before today is up! How long does she have to sign it until it automatically becomes law?
    It becomes effective December 1, 2011.

That's the last line of the bill.

I finally caught a brief report on News 14 for it. All 15 seconds of it. Surprisingly they did not try to demonize (is that even a word?) the bill, as bad as they could have.

Quote Originally Posted by Herknav View Post
    Where are they at on repealing the asinine "Emergency Declaration" rule?
    According to NRA-ILA, that provision was struck from the bill. It remains the law.
    Confidence is the feeling you have before you realize the full measure of the situation.

Although this bill is a step in the right direction, many changes that need to be made failed to be acted upon this session (restaurant carry, parking lot restrictions by employer, no carry where admission is charged, etc.) I would have thought more from the first republican led legislature in 100 years. Maybe next year.....
    Confidence is the feeling you have before you realize the full measure of the situation.

Our whole CC law, was voted on by such a majority it was veto-proof.... and the Govenor vetoed it... and they voted again and over-rode the veto. "Sebellius"..... ugh.

Good deal they are catching up.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by bwalker25 View Post

IIRC she has 10 days to sign, veto, or it reverts to being law. Then it would become effective 12-1-11

Quote Originally Posted by nobody View Post
    Although this bill is a step in the right direction, many changes that need to be made failed to be acted upon this session (restaurant carry, parking lot restrictions by employer, no carry where admission is charged, etc.) I would have thought more from the first republican led legislature in 100 years. Maybe next year.....
    Actually, for their first shot at it they did pretty well. This is a much better CD than the one we could not get passed. They introduced all the bills we wanted. This one made it clear through both houses and HB 111 is still alive for the short session. Now what we need to do is make sure all the guys that worked on this go back next time, and send them some more support too. I want to see more changes too. But it's going to take maintaining the ones that are there and sending more pro 2A folks to Raleigh as well.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

VIP Member
    Looks like a no-brainer to me, but , then again its politics.

Hope they will do the right thing, and make it law, and reinforce the honest citizens right to protect themselves, without the possibility of backlash, from the law or civil suits.
    Mi. has it right, in that regard.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

Links