drinking and shooting or shooting and drinking.

This is a discussion on drinking and shooting or shooting and drinking. within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This guy must be a duck......nothing else quacks like he does!...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: drinking and shooting or shooting and drinking.

VIP Member
    This guy must be a duck......nothing else quacks like he does!
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    I, for one, own 3 guns and do not drink. I got married a month ago yesterday and my wife and I got a bottle of some sort of liquor as a wedding present. 34 proof, nothing too hard. My wife and I are both 23, but don't drink, so we're trying to figure out what to do with it. More guns than people in our household, but no drinkers.
    If it were 80 proof or higher I'd take it off your hands

Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    I, for one, own 3 guns and do not drink. I got married a month ago yesterday and my wife and I got a bottle of some sort of liquor as a wedding present. 34 proof, nothing too hard. My wife and I are both 23, but don't drink, so we're trying to figure out what to do with it. More guns than people in our household, but no drinkers.
    Better hang on to that bottle. You have only been married a month. Wont be long till ya want a drink......or two, lol.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    Married 29 years. Have maybe a dozen drinks per year. Don't drink and drive. Don't drink and handle firearms. Maybe I blow the study, or maybe people like me were not in the population studied.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    This guy would really pitch a fit over FL law.

It's illegal to use a firearm when intoxicated, "use" being defined as being "in hand." But you can legally "carry" a firearm while smashed as long as you don't "use" it. Oh, and if you do "use" it in "self defense" while intoxicated, that's allowed by law.
    But I wouldn't suggest it unless...
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ErnieNWillis View Post
    I must be Ok since I only have 3 drinks in a single setting. Does it count more if they are doubles?

^^^^^YEAH^^^^^

But how many times a day are you setting???

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorBob View Post
    We don't know how many alcoholics own guns or how many gun owners are alcoholic. I think it is safe to say that most of us would agree that even if alcohol and gun powder do mix, it would taste terrible. We might even go so far as to say that one shouldn't carry when drinking or drink when carrying just as we might say that drinking and driving are not a good idea. In any case, I'm betting you will hear aobut this study again.

^^^^^^^Yeah well^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

If its ok to mix fireams and alcohol by the governments standards, then what the heck??

They even went so far as to group tobacco and explosives with the alcohol and firearms.

Hence the BATFE.

I think it was an agenda written article.

Latest survey shows that 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the world's population.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

I'm sipping a Samuel Adams while I'm reading this. Dang that guy's good!!

That "study" is semi-science. Not because it asks the pt population to self report- who happen to be heavy drinkers/alcoholics but any self reported clinical trials are far less scientifically rigorous unless there are one (or better, multiple control groups). It is an interesting question, but a poor method to gather the data. Just my unprofessional O.

If I wasn't so afraid of all those criminals out there that caused me to arm myself, maybe I could sleep at night without drinking!

But seriously, folks... here's the 'junk science' causality approach because a true linkage can't be established. Same as Rosie O'Fatgirl and spoons, pencils and misspelling, and damning by faint praise.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Aiko View Post
    That "study" is semi-science. Not because it asks the pt population to self report- who happen to be heavy drinkers/alcoholics but any self reported clinical trials are far less scientifically rigorous unless there are one (or better, multiple control groups). It is an interesting question, but a poor method to gather the data. Just my unprofessional O.
    What do you find interesting about the question? Is it more compelling to wonder if gun owners have something in common which leads to alcoholism/DUI or if alcoholics are drawn to gun ownership?

I don't find the question interesting at all... what use is there in trying to find associations between gun ownership and anything? What if you could actually prove that owning guns causes alcoholism? Or that alcoholism causes people to own guns? What of it?

I would prefer to hear of a study determining if there is a link between marijuana use and unemployment or mental illness and liberalism (lol). That would be interesting.

The "study" lacks a tremendous amount of data. Basically everything a real study includes to justify the results. We don't know where the people were sampled from, we don't know how people were selected, and we don't know how people were excluded. The author of the "study" did say this was only about those who drink alcohol, so where was the line drawn? One drink, two drinks, or more? In what time frame does the minimum amount consumed matter?

The premise of the study was not clearly defined either. The author clearly has an agenda that he's trying to justify with his "studies" to move things forward.

Junk science is junk science. The worst thing is that some may buy into the skewed report and think it's valid.

People who own cars are also more likely to drink and drive...ban all cars.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links