NC- HB 650 is the law of the land

This is a discussion on NC- HB 650 is the law of the land within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by SIGguy229 The restaurant carry and the BS, racist "permit to purchase" law needs to go away...these serve no purpose if a background ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: NC- HB 650 is the law of the land

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    The restaurant carry and the BS, racist "permit to purchase" law needs to go away...these serve no purpose if a background check is going to be done anyway. One should not have to go to the sheriff to ask permission to purchase a firearm...thoughts? Virginia doesnt seem to have a problem...and since I have family there, I may look to retire there.
    The permit to purchase is just another source of revenue for the local sherriff's dept. and another hoop to make you jump through.
    Confidence is the feeling you have before you realize the full measure of the situation.

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by nobody View Post
    The permit to purchase is just another source of revenue for the local sherriff's dept. and another hoop to make you jump through.
    An unnecessary hoop...ever think/research why it exists in the first place?
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

An unnecessary hoop...ever think/research why it exists in the first place?
    There is a lot more discretion for turning down a PPP than a CCP. It gives the Sheriff too much power to say no. And I'm confident race was used for the reason to say no at times. Any surprise the the Sheriff's Assoc. is against doing away with the PPP? It's come up recently and keeps getting stopped. Not to mention that it was a hassle for those of us who live 20 minutes from the Sheriff's Dept. FWIW, there's no way the $5 charge covers all the manpower to deal with each permit. So it really can't be much of a revenue stream.
    SIGguy229 likes this.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

The restaurant carry and the BS, racist "permit to purchase" law needs to go away...these serve no purpose if a background check is going to be done anyway. One should not have to go to the sheriff to ask permission to purchase a firearm...thoughts? Virginia doesnt seem to have a problem...and since I have family there, I may look to retire there.
    +1 We'll take you. I was just in NC all last week and the no carry in the restaurants thing was driving me ape. As much as I like NC(around the southern coastal end/Brunswick area...family heritage) it's not worth it to me. I'll stick to VA until the NC'ers get all the nonsense gone.
    SIGguy229 likes this.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Who are the RIGHT people to get a hold of about HB 111? Where can I find contact info?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by swood View Post
    Who are the RIGHT people to get a hold of about HB 111? Where can I find contact info?

Thanks!
    Check your voters registration and find out the reps for your districts and call them on the phone and email them. Tell them you want them to represent your positive vote for HB111.

Quote Originally Posted by swood View Post

Thanks!
    Here is the contact info for the committee that it sets in. If I really want to push for something I'll contact everyone on the committee too. I can tell you that Sen. Daniel, the co chair, seems very pro gun/carry. I got an email from him that made me feel they wanted to push through HB650 first, before the end of the session. So they may have made a decision to take on the larger bill now and HB 111 later. I can't say that with absolute certainty, but it seems to be the case. And before anyone gets their drawers in a wad, Castle Doctrine effects more folks than restaurant carry.

North Carolina General Assembly - Judiciary II (Senate Standing Committee)

Quote Originally Posted by NC Bullseye View Post
    Check your voters registration and find out the reps for your districts and call them on the phone and email them. Tell them you want them to represent your positive vote for HB111.
    And be sure to do this too.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

New Member Array demigodtorpedo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I don't get this old "blue law" attitude with carrying and places that serve alcohol. If states are concerned about guns and alcohol, they should also pass a law prohibiting driving and entering a place that serves alcohol, seeing as drunk drivers pose a much larger threat than drunk gun carriers.

The law should simply state it's illegal to "consume" alcohol when armed. Mere presence of alcohol, uncomsumed, does not equate to a threat. Forget this whole "51%" of business dedicated to food consumption, etc. Either one drinks or one doesn't.
    so- a person who's had a beer doesn't have the right of self defense?

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I don't get this old "blue law" attitude with carrying and places that serve alcohol. If states are concerned about guns and alcohol, they should also pass a law prohibiting driving and entering a place that serves alcohol, seeing as drunk drivers pose a much larger threat than drunk gun carriers.

The law should simply state it's illegal to "consume" alcohol when armed. Mere presence of alcohol, uncomsumed, does not equate to a threat. Forget this whole "51%" of business dedicated to food consumption, etc. Either one drinks or one doesn't.
    I dont understand how you can have a .08% BAC and drive a car, but if youre even near a beer when carrying, thats pretty much illegal. If anything, Id think it should be flipped.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by demigodtorpedo View Post
    so- a person who's had a beer doesn't have the right of self defense?
    Never said that, did I? My point is the "presence" of alcohol should not be prohibitive to carrying a firearm. And yes, even in FL a drunk can use a firearm in SD, but you cannot carry in a bar.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

UGH - edit - old thread
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Twice December 1, 2011 was mentioned. 2011?
    "The time is now near at hand which must determine whether Americans are to be freemen or slaves."
    ------------------------------------ George Washington 1776
    Gun free zones
    are safe havens-
    FOR CRIMINALS

Quote Originally Posted by nontechguy View Post
    Twice December 1, 2011 was mentioned. 2011?
    That was when this thread was started. That was the last batch of carry law changes we had that took effect in 2011. Now we have a whole new sack of changes getting ready to take effect on October 1, 2013.

This is one of those threads that belongs on "The Walking Dead" sometimes ya just can't let a thread R.I.P.
    North Carolina Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection and Basic Pistol Instructor

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links