NC- HB 650 is the law of the land

This is a discussion on NC- HB 650 is the law of the land within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; As of 12-1-2011 HB 650 becomes law! Signed Thursday. NC Gov Perdue signs gun-rights bill into law | CharlotteObserver.com & The Charlotte Observer Newspaper Final ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: NC- HB 650 is the law of the land

RugerMak likes this.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

VIP Member
    Lots of beneficial changes, next we have to push for restaurant carry but we are finally making progress.
    RugerMak likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Quick summary?

what part of Not to be INFRINGED UPON do politicians not understand anyway?
    Chuck808 likes this.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I don't get this old "blue law" attitude with carrying and places that serve alcohol. If states are concerned about guns and alcohol, they should also pass a law prohibiting driving and entering a place that serves alcohol, seeing as drunk drivers pose a much larger threat than drunk gun carriers.

The law should simply state it's illegal to "consume" alcohol when armed. Mere presence of alcohol, uncomsumed, does not equate to a threat. Forget this whole "51%" of business dedicated to food consumption, etc. Either one drinks or one doesn't.
    playingD, RugerMak and Xader like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

In section 14, "a financial institution, or on any other premises, except state-owned rest areas or state-owned rest stops along the highways" is crossed out does that mean you can conceal in a bank as long as it isnt posted?
    RUGER SR9 IN CROSSBREED SUPERTUCK DAILY

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MAINE0388 View Post
    In section 14, "a financial institution, or on any other premises, except state-owned rest areas or state-owned rest stops along the highways" is crossed out does that mean you can conceal in a bank as long as it isnt posted?
    Correct, crossed out means it has been deleted and replaced with the underlined text. Doing some further reading they have changed the wording on rest stop carry to specifically allow both OC and CC.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Quote Originally Posted by stanislaskasava View Post
    Quick summary?
    That's kind of a tuff one, it's an omnibus type bill that jumps all over our current gun laws.

Castle Doctrine for home, curtilage (buildings and the general yard around your home) workplace (if you're allowed to carry), and vehicles. Civil immunity if it's justified.

Bank CC if not posted.

State park CC.

City and county park CC with exceptions; playgrounds, athletic fields, pools. But they do not have to post them. They can if they want too.

Changes to some of our NFA laws.

Changes to the CC permit process.

Funny thing about the rest area carry, we've always been able to. This does not add anything, just clarifies it.

I know I'm missing some things. We lost some really good stuff too though. This is just off the top of my head. Looks like this guy has a run down on it, might be more than you want to know.

An NC Gun Blog: HB650 What does it do Section 1 *Updated 6-18-11*

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

As a side note, do NOT start following theses changes yet. They do not take effect until Dec 1 this year unless the effectivity date has changed since it was ratified.

" 14‑51.3. Use of force in defense of person; relief from criminal or civil liability.
    (a) A person is justified in using force, except deadly force, against another when and to the extent that the person reasonably believes that the conduct is necessary to defend himself or herself or another against the other's imminent use of unlawful force. However, a person is justified in the use of deadly force and does not have a duty to retreat in any place he or she has the lawful right to be if either of the following applies:

So I dont have to retreat any longer?
    I don't carry a gun because I'm angry.
    I carry a gun so that I don't have to spend the rest of my life hating
    myself for failing to be prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by bwalker25 View Post
    " 14‑51.3. Use of force in defense of person; relief from criminal or civil liability.
    (a) A person is justified in using force, except deadly force, against another when and to the extent that the person reasonably believes that the conduct is necessary to defend himself or herself or another against the other's imminent use of unlawful force. However, a person is justified in the use of deadly force and does not have a duty to retreat in any place he or she has the lawful right to be if either of the following applies:

So I dont have to retreat any longer?
    You HAVE to read the stipulations that follow the part you quoted and you didn't include.
    (1) He or she reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another.
    (2) Under the circumstances permitted pursuant to G.S. 14-51.2.
    You still have to retreat if you can when your not in your home, car, or place of business.

This is the same as before.

And you STILL have to follow the current laws until the effectivity date of the new statutes which is Dec 1 2011 for now.

So what's the bottom line on carrying in a restaurant that serves alcohol? I'm confused.

Quote Originally Posted by golfnutcasey View Post
    So what's the bottom line on carrying in a restaurant that serves alcohol? I'm confused.
    That is a seperate bill that was not voted on. You still cannot cc into establishments that serve alcohol on premises. We need to make sure this get pushed hard next session email your reps and senators.
    Confidence is the feeling you have before you realize the full measure of the situation.

The restaurant carry and the BS, racist "permit to purchase" law needs to go away...these serve no purpose if a background check is going to be done anyway. One should not have to go to the sheriff to ask permission to purchase a firearm...thoughts? Virginia doesnt seem to have a problem...and since I have family there, I may look to retire there.
    packinnova likes this.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    The restaurant carry and the BS, racist "permit to purchase" law needs to go away...these serve no purpose if a background check is going to be done anyway. One should not have to go to the sheriff to ask permission to purchase a firearm...thoughts? Virginia doesnt seem to have a problem...and since I have family there, I may look to retire there.
    Thoughts? Totally agree.

HB 111 restaurant and park carry is still alive for the short session. It's in Senate Judiciary II just like HB 650. So it's in a pro gun committee, we just need to pressure them to get it out of committee for a vote ASAP during the short session.

And just to say it again, we have to wait till 12-1-2011 for these to be in effect.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links