"Department of Mental Hygiene" -government run amuck!

This is a discussion on "Department of Mental Hygiene" -government run amuck! within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This is ridiculous that government has gotten so out of control. This is who does, or is supposed to do, the background checks for NY ...

Thread: "Department of Mental Hygiene" -government run amuck!

VIP Member

"Department of Mental Hygiene" -government run amuck!

This is ridiculous that government has gotten so out of control. This is who does, or is supposed to do, the background checks for NY pistol permits!

Begin RANT

Pistol permit delays continue

HUDSON – The issue of state delays in conducting background checks for local pistol permits has not been resolved some two months after it was first brought to light in the region.

Area county court judges, sheriffs and county clerks, who process pistol permits, have been faced with delays because the state Department of Mental Hygiene lost the person who processed those background checks through retirement.
    How about Florida permits....they're issued by the DEPT of Agriculture!

Maybe we ought to let it collapse under it's own weight & start over again.

/rant off

I guess my point is that with all the bureaucrats involved in our lives, it's no wonder our country is on the path it's on.....
    Last edited by goawayfarm; June 30th, 2011 at 06:55 PM.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

2. Remove Ads

While I agree with the sentiment, I'm more about fixing the current one than starting over. If the current one collapsed you'd have to worry about what would probably turn into complete anarchy.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    Inch by inch... as you start to squeeze the snake it gets ready to bite.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member
    Department of Mental Hygiene? Why does such a department even exist? Brain washing?

Most states have a department of mental health!

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    I looked at this thread about 2 hours ago, and to tell the truth I'm still pondering the term "mental hygiene"
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Would this be similar to dental hygiene? If so, was the retiree a licensed physician who interviewed all CC permit applicants? At times the government just makes you scratch your head with shock and awe. So much despair.

Administrator
    Department of Mental Hygiene... we'd better hide this forum.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by Stubborn View Post
    I looked at this thread about 2 hours ago, and to tell the truth I'm still pondering the term "mental hygiene"
    "Mental" is not the physical aspect of the brain, but the summation of your thoughts, hopes, dreams, fears and perceptions. "Mental health", to me, would mean things like the function of your mental faculties. Is everything ticking properly, everything nice and balanced, no depressive thoughts or whispering voices? "Mental hygiene", then, can mean only the cleanliness of what goes on up there. Are any of you thinking... unclean things? No infectious or insidious ideas? Nothing that needs to be sanitized or scraped away?

Break out your tin-foil hats, boys.

I jest, really I do.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post

/rant off
    The Dept. of Ag. does a fine job with Florida's CWFL program. Besides, before he stepped down, where else could you get a CCW license signed by Charles Bronson?
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MattInFla View Post
    The Dept. of Ag. does a fine job with Florida's CWFL program. Besides, before he stepped down, where else could you get a CCW license signed by Charles Bronson?
    Yea AMEN our Dept.of AG does just fine, and the new Agriculture Commissioner Adam Putnam a previous 2 term U.S. Congressman is as pro gun as anyone. He's an NRA life member and a big time quail hunter, supposedly has championship bird dogs
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    This is ridiculous that government has gotten so out of control. This is who does, or is supposed to do, the background checks for NY pistol permits!

Begin RANT

/rant off
    Dept of Mental Hygiene consists of 3 offices in NYS: Office of Mental Health (OMH), the Office of the Mental Retarded and the Developmentally Disabled (OMRDD), and the Office of Alcoholism and Substance Abuse (OASAS).

The county police/sheriffs do their own background checks and inquire with the state DMH for any mental health records for an applicant as part of the background check process. DMH isn't doing the complete background checks themselves, that is misleading.

So what likely happened is DMH lost the guy processing the mental health portion of an applicants background check and thus caused a backlog of permit apps.
    "I got a lot of problems with you people!" - Frank Costanza

Links