Bill To Restrict Guns In Public goes to Delaware Gov. Markell

This is a discussion on Bill To Restrict Guns In Public goes to Delaware Gov. Markell within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I was at my Mom's house tonight helping her to wash her windows, window blinds, curtains, etc. and she asked me if I'd heard about ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Inspector71
  • 1 Post By dukalmighty
  • 1 Post By RETSUPT99

Thread: Bill To Restrict Guns In Public goes to Delaware Gov. Markell

Bill To Restrict Guns In Public goes to Delaware Gov. Markell

I was at my Mom's house tonight helping her to wash her windows, window blinds, curtains, etc. and she asked me if I'd heard about the new gun bill that is waiting for our Gov. to sign. I advised her that I had not heard anything about it.

Apparently Senate Substitute 1 for Senate Bill 29 passed the House Thursday night and was sent to the governor for his signature. This bill would prohibit the possession of a firearm while in a public place. I don't have any idea how they will enforce "public place", as soon as you walk out your front door you are in "public".

First-time violators of this legislation would be guilty of a Class A misdemeanor, subsequent offenses would be guilty of a Class G felony. The bill would not apply if the weapon were secured, disassembled or if the person was not in possession of ammunition.

Our DSP Trooper's Association usually keeps a close watch on any gun legislation and informs both active and retired members should anything be introduced. I didn't see anything regarding this piece of crap, until tonight. Looks like Gov. Markell will have to go next election.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

2. Remove Ads

Was your Gov a former member of the KGB?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Senior Moderator
    Yeah that'll work...
    especially if you are a middle eastern terrorist.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Senior Member Array Inspector71's Avatar
    Sounds like your legislature has passed a bill banning guns everywhere except your private property. Surprising that they got that through without a ruckus being raised.
    oneshot likes this.

So basically your Concealed handgun permit is good as long as you are on your property or maybe even in your vehicle.What a load of crap
    Inspector71 likes this.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    Found at Delaware Online:

Bill to restrict guns in public goes to Markell
    A small piece of Gov. Jack Markell’s gun-control agenda, legislation that would prohibit the possession of a firearm while in a public place
    while under the influence of drugs or alcohol, passed the House Thursday night and was sent to the governor for his signature.

First-time violators of Senate Substitute 1 for Senate Bill 29, sponsored by Sen. Margaret Rose Henry, D-Wilmington East, would be guilty of a Class A misdemeanor. Subsequent offenses would be a Class G felony.

The bill would not apply if the weapon were secured, disassembled or if the person was not in possession of ammunition.

Context is pretty important with these stories.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ArkhmAsylm View Post
    Found at Delaware Online:

Bill to restrict guns in public goes to Markell
    A small piece of Gov. Jack Markell’s gun-control agenda, legislation that would prohibit the possession of a firearm while in a public place
    while under the influence of drugs or alcohol, passed the House Thursday night and was sent to the governor for his signature.

First-time violators of Senate Substitute 1 for Senate Bill 29, sponsored by Sen. Margaret Rose Henry, D-Wilmington East, would be guilty of a Class A misdemeanor. Subsequent offenses would be a Class G felony.

The bill would not apply if the weapon were secured, disassembled or if the person was not in possession of ammunition.

Context is pretty important with these stories.
    Big difference when as Paul Harvey would have said “you have the rest of the story”.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

A few words can make a whole lot of difference.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

That's quite a different take...
    oneshot likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    A few words can make a whole lot of difference.

^^^YEP^^^^^

At least Hiram can breathe a sigh of relief.

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional,
    illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream
    media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end**.**" Author Undetermined
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

VIP Member
    Here's the actual synopsis for the bill. Not only does violation of the law make it a Class A misdemeanor, it also is an automatic revocation of your CDW permit and you cannot apply for another permit for 5 years. While I'm not fond of most gun control legislation, this piece is one I could live with.

This Bill makes it illegal for individuals to possess firearms outside of their homes while under the influence of alcohol or drugs. Persons found guilty under this section shall be guilty of a class A misdemeanor for a first offense, and will have their permit to carry a concealed deadly weapon, if available, revoked. In addition, such persons will not be permitted to obtain another CDW permit for 5 years from the date of conviction for a first offense. Persons convicted of a second or subsequent offense shall be guilty of a class G felony.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    It's all about public safety but there should be a "loophole" for exigent circumstances. And it apparently makes no distinction between legal and illegal drugs. Someone on Vicodin for a tooth extraction, Percocet after a laparoscopic surgery, or hydromorphone for chronic pain relief would be just as guilty as your neighborhood crack addict.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

I've got the article my mother gave me, last night, right in front of me and there is nothing mentioned about "while under the influence of drugs or alcohol"! At least this is better than what I suspected last night! I guess I can cancel the moving van!
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    It's all about public safety but there should be a "loophole" for exigent circumstances. And it apparently makes no distinction between legal and illegal drugs. Someone on Vicodin for a tooth extraction, Percocet after a laparoscopic surgery, or hydromorphone for chronic pain relief would be just as guilty as your neighborhood crack addict.
    Not to mention blood pressure or cholesterol medication. I think they will have just about covered every circumstance.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

Well, at least my diabetic medication wouldn't show up on any tests as far as I know.

Although, having used vicodin after surgery before, I would choose not to carry after taking it again. That stuff does some pretty amazing things. Most people are not thinking clearly after using that stuff. The one exception to someone using vicodin and not being affected much, if at all, is a co-worker who uses it at times to relieve the pain from his MS.

Hopefully the bill will get rejected so a clause can be added for legally prescribed drugs. The legally prescribed part is what matters the most.

Links