South Dakota wants everyone to have a gun

This is a discussion on South Dakota wants everyone to have a gun within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Newser) – South Dakota lawmakers have introduced a bill that would force all of the state’s citizens to buy a gun “to provide for the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: South Dakota wants everyone to have a gun

Newser) – South Dakota lawmakers have introduced a bill that would force all of the state’s citizens to buy a gun “to provide for the self defense of themselves and others.” (Wait, is it still self-defense if you’re defending others? Isn’t that just defense?) The law would apply to all adults age 21 or older, except for those legally prohibited from buying them, the Sioux Falls Argus Leader reports. It leaves it to each individual to pick a gun “suitable to their temperament.”

Of course, the five lawmakers who introduced the bill don’t actually expect it to pass. The point, according to one Sioux Falls Republican, is to prove that the federal mandate to buy health care insurance is unconstitutional. “Do I or the other cosponsors believe that the State of South Dakota can require citizens to buy firearms? Of course not,” he says. “But at the same time, we do not believe the federal government can order every citizen to buy health insurance.”

I dont know if this has been talked about at all on here but i saw it a few months ago on the news, or if i am in the right place so please move or delete if it has been talked about let me know what you guys think of this

I think there's a city in Colorado that has an ordinance on the books "requiring" all citizens to have at least one gun in the home. It's supposedly not enforced, just there to make a point that the citizens can and should defend themselves. That's not the point of this law though. I can definitely see the point they're making, and hope that it gets across to a few people.
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    Catron county New Mexico has a law mandating firearms ownership and also has a county militia.
    oneshot likes this.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Kennesaw Georgia has a law like that as well. God bless 'em
    oneshot likes this.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

This kind of law was once common practice.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Honey, they are passing a law that says that I have to purchase either a Dan Wesson or a Les Baer, in fact, it would be much better if I had them both!
    SARR001, gasmitty and thephanatik like this.
    Hiram25
    You can educate ignorance, you can't fix stupid
    Retired DE Trooper, SA XD40 SC, S&W 2" Airweight
    dukalmighty & Pure Kustom Black Ops Pro "Trooper" Holsters, DE CCDW and LEOSA Permits, Vietnam Vet 68-69 Pleiku

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar
    Hmmmmmm I like it. BUT!!! sounds a lot like a law that requires every person by buy health insurance. You think?? Back to my basic hate of Laws. Not that we don't need them. But (again), if them make me King I'd tell them to make all the laws they felt they need to but for every new law they (whoever they was) would also have to include removing two existing laws. we need good laws not a law to cover every motion we make in life.
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Stubborn View Post
    Kennesaw Georgia has a law like that as well. God bless 'em
    Violent Crime Rate
    Incidents per 100,000
    Kennesaw 93
    GA 760
    National 676
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

IMHO, having a gun IS good health insurance.
    Maverickx50 and thephanatik like this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    IMHO, having a gun IS good health insurance.
    pretty sharp.. You must have had an extra cup of coffee today to come up with that one....And I agree just wish I had thought of that.
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

I can agree with the point they are trying to make about the heath insurance mandate
    and I can agree with the principle of the safer armed public, but...

Some idiots really shouldn't own a firearm.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzadik View Post
    I can agree with the point they are trying to make about the heath insurance mandate
    and I can agree with the principle of the safer armed public, but...

NO idiots really shouldn't own a firearm.
    Here, fixed it for you. ;-)
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

"NO idiots really shouldn't own a firearm."

ummm... double negative... so you are saying that "idiots should own a firearm"? I know, I know, grammar nazi...
    "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."
    You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.

well I do so go figure LOL

I think an MP5 SD with a safe-semi-burst-full trigger group is the only gun suitable to my temprament...
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links