Defensive Carry banner

City Council approves gun ranges in Chicago

1K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  dukalmighty 
#1 ·
"The Chicago City Council today voted to legalize firing ranges inside city limits as Mayor Rahm Emanuel tries to head off a federal court decision that could force the city to welcome them.

The vote came without discussion or dissent today.

The practice shooting venues could be built only in areas of Chicago zoned for manufacturing and would have to be more than 1,000 feet away from residential areas, schools, parks, liquor retailers, libraries, museums and hospitals.

The ranges also would have to be indoors, and a license to operate one would cost $4,000 every two years."

City Council approves gun ranges in Chicago - chicagotribune.com

I'm not from/in Chicago. Would this effectively keep a range out of the city? Is a two-year $4,000 license prohibitive??

#3 ·
I used to live in Chicago and coming from a family of CPD and Marines I never had a problem with getting my Special CCW there (FOID Card) Firearm Owners ID. You are/were not allowed to own a firearm within city limits. That is now being changed, and the old firing ranges in Chicago were awesome. But I do not live there anymore and I have since moved to Utah. All my friends who are now buying firearms say its a ton of paperwork. Also on a side note the new Mayor has some major issues not in the best interest for the City of Chicago.

#5 ·
Huh? A FOID is NOT a carry permit....says so on the card itself. What are you talking about?

#4 ·
Forget it...it's a trap.

Why would anyone build a range inside Crook county or Chicago city limits?

I don't trust any of those criminals in Chicago. There is another article that indicates one needs a Chicago gun permit to own a gun...this is on top of the IL Firearms Owners ID card that is required by the state. So why does Chicago think it's special that it can infringe on rights?

I say, Mrs O'Leary's cow needs to make another appearance...

#6 ·
I can see where you got confused my bad. I meant my CCW in addition to a Firearm Owners ID. But at the time I did have my CCW that needed to be signed by a US court justice and needs a specific court order, and about 17 pages of paperwork. I know what it says on the FOID card Im looking at it right now along with my old CCW permit. Apparently it requires more paperwork than ever before. There are cops straight out of the academy that have to wait due to processing. But then again if you you are from Chicago you know there are exceptions to the rules, it is all about who you know. There are still many old shooting ranges in the city of Chicago they are all closed and run down by now. I know of one that is still used by CPD today. Technically its not illegal seeing that the property is owed by a police officer and police officers, family and friends go shooting there all the time. Its actually really a cool place you would never know its an old shooting range, unless your old like me and remember when it was a shooting range.

#7 ·
"City Council approves gun ranges in Chicago"

The Chicago Tribune is making a joke by using the word "approve", isn't it? I doubt there's any place in the city that satisfies the range-free zone's requirements. What do libraries and hospitals have to do with gun ranges? I assume they were added because there was a building that could house a range if libraries and hospitals weren't nodes in the zone.

#9 ·
LOL @ FOID / 100ft / 4000 dollar license / and ..................... Chicago. I hope that city turns into a giant sinkhole and the great lake spills in.

This does not include the loss of life. I simply think that city needs to be leveled and re-created with actual values and freedom first.

Reactions: SIGguy229
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.