Web training may suffice for Wis. concealed-carry

This is a discussion on Web training may suffice for Wis. concealed-carry within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This is a novel concept "Web training may suffice for Wis. concealed-carry" by Latest News -- GazetteXtra...

Thread: Web training may suffice for Wis. concealed-carry

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar

I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

Works for VA too...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

As it should. If a particular training requirement does not require live fire then there is no difference whether you sit in a room with an instructor or sit in front of a computer with online instructor. If colleges can do it, so can other facets of learning.

Although it may be legal, I'd recomend taking it a class environment.
    There is a lot more that can be learned from personal interaction with an instructor or even other students.
    Also, in most cases, the fees help to support local firearms orginizations such as a local range or gun club.

just MHO

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    While this wouldn't necessarily be a bad requirement to initially purchase a firearm, but shouldn't actual handling & experience with a firearm hold some importance for those who aim to legally carry? That seems to me like only taking the computerized test for a drivers license, & not requiring an applicant to take an actual road test.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

I'm glad that my hunter education course I was required to take will suffice. Wisconsin has had a rather forward gun safety and training educational system in place for a long time now. It's part of the reason we have such a low number of firearms incidents each year.

That, and us dumb rednecks who go hunting are actually rather conscientous about how we portray ourselves and how we handle our firearms outside of a small minority.

Quote Originally Posted by ArkhmAsylm View Post
    While this wouldn't necessarily be a bad requirement to initially purchase a firearm, but shouldn't actual handling & experience with a firearm hold some importance for those who aim to legally carry? That seems to me like only taking the computerized test for a drivers license, & not requiring an applicant to take an actual road test.
    Training is important yes...but it shouldn't be REQUIRED to obtain a carry permit. Training isn't required in PA to get a permit and I've had my permit for almost 20 years. Over that time i've gone to the range with more experienced folks who would show me different thing, but didn't have any "formal/documented" training until last year.

Quote Originally Posted by ArkhmAsylm View Post
    There should NOT be a requirement to carry....BUT training should be encouraged. Driving is a privilege, not a right, thus, not comparable.

And there should not be a requirement to purchase....except maybe a background check...I say maybe, as I don't believe a private purchase needs to go through a FFL.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Links