Governor Jay Nixon Signs Missouriís Comprehensive Gun Bill Into Law!

This is a discussion on Governor Jay Nixon Signs Missouriís Comprehensive Gun Bill Into Law! within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Missouri Governor Jay Nixon signed a log awaited gun rights bill into law today. Nixon is a Democrat in the gun friendly State of Missouri. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Governor Jay Nixon Signs Missouriís Comprehensive Gun Bill Into Law!

VIP Member

Thumbs up Governor Jay Nixon Signs Missouriís Comprehensive Gun Bill Into Law!

Missouri Governor Jay Nixon signed a log awaited gun rights bill into law today. Nixon is a Democrat in the gun friendly State of Missouri. Guns and gun rights are part of our culture. The Governor waited until the last day. There was not too much doubt that he would sign the bill. He had little choice. He could have vetoed the bill had there been enough support from the gun control lobby. He also could have not signed the bill without a veto. In that case the bill would have become law by default. This would have made the Governor look soft and not willing to take a stand.

He did take a stand so I have to congratulate him. He listened to the will of the people and acted accordingly.

Here is the Bill he signed: NRA-ILA :: Governor Jay Nixon Signs Missouri
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

2. Remove Ads

Congrats MO...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

All improvements are good.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I had not seen this yet. This is good news, thanks for posting.

DC Founder
    Here is the email I received from the NRA which gives a quick thumbnail of the new law. I was not aware that we could not previously own a suppressor. Now I need to check the exact date it takes effect before heading on over to HotGuns' thread on the suppressor buy....

Governor Jay Nixon Signs Missouri’s Comprehensive Gun Bill Into Law!

Today, July 8, Missouri Governor Jay Nixon signed into law a vitally important measure expanding a variety of firearm rights for Missouri gun owners! Among the provisions in this critical bill include lowering Missouri's Right-to-Carry age from the nation's highest, at 23 years of age, to 21.

NRA-backed House Bill 294, authored by state Representative Jeanie Riddle (R-20) and sponsored in the Senate by state Senator Brian Munzlinger (R-18), is a comprehensive firearm reform bill that addresses a number of Right-to-Carry issues important to Missouri’s law-abiding gun owners. Both chambers of the Missouri General Assembly passed HB 294 by overwhelming majorities.

HB 294 will improve Missouri gun laws by:

• Prohibiting sales taxes on firearms or ammunition from being higher than those for sporting goods, sporting equipment, hunting equipment, and accessories;

• Allowing residents to purchase long guns from non-contiguous states and vice versa by removing non-penalty merchandising practices provisions;

• Lowering the concealed carry age to 21;

• Allowing a person to possess, manufacture, transport, repair, or sell a machine gun, short-barreled rifle or shotgun, or firearm suppressor if he or she complies with federal law;

• Creating the crime of fraudulent firearms purchases if a person knowingly solicits, persuades, encourages, or entices a licensed dealer or private seller of firearms or ammunition to transfer a firearm or ammunition under circumstances which the person knows would violate federal or state laws; and

• Enabling members of the General Assembly and their staff who possess valid concealed carry endorsements to carry a firearm for self-defense in the Capitol.
    Bumper
    Coimhťad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

VIP Member
    Bumper,

I sell firearms and suppressors. Prior to this minor change all it took to own a suppressor in MO was to first obtain a Federal C&R Lic. for $30.00.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Quote Originally Posted by SIGP250 View Post
    Bumper,

I sell firearms and suppressors. Prior to this minor change all it took to own a suppressor in MO was to first obtain a Federal C&R Lic. for $30.00.
    Would having a C&R make the process easier? Whether or not it is needed.

Do not fool yourselves... the reason this bill went through was:

Enabling members of the General Assembly and their staff who possess valid concealed carry endorsements to carry a firearm for self-defense in the Capitol.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhšuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by doubletap45 View Post
    Would having a C&R make the process easier? Whether or not it is needed.
    Prior to the change in Missouri law, only Federally Licensed dealers, manufacturers (FFL) and those with a C&R could acquire a silencer in MO. The one exception was an ATF approved transfer of an existing NFA firearm or listed device (silencer) between private parties residing in the same state. It took roughly 90 days to obtain a C&R and still does.

The new MO law makes it legal for those residing in MO to posses a machine gun or a silencer without a Federal FFL or C&R.

You must still pay the Federal tax of $200.00 for a machine gun or silencer along with an ATF, NFA application form. you must also send in a fingerprint card obtained from CLO.

So the answer is NO, there is no longer any reason to obtain a C&R unless you want to collect. A C&R is not a Dealer license.

Even though the bill has been signed, I am not certain on what date the new statutes take effect. I believe it may be at least a few weeks away.
    - Zen Saying

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 357and40 View Post
    Do not fool yourselves... the reason this bill went through was:

Enabling members of the General Assembly and their staff who possess valid concealed carry endorsements to carry a firearm for self-defense in the Capitol.
    I don't see any problem with that. Do you?
    - Zen Saying

Would be nice if they trusted all of us rather than a select crowd. Look at our politicians & as yourself if they are more or less trustworthy in my home state than are any of you... If they can carry there just because they now have a CCW should not each one of us be able? These are not LEOs or first responders of any sort.... These are members of the general assembly and their staff... remember, "staff" can include paige, water fetcher, masseuse, etc...

I am not turning my nose up at increased rights for us, I just will not lose sight of the real reason for the passage of the bill. Remove that line & it would have died on the floor before they discussed it.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhšuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

NFA stuff is cool and so is the 21 age restriction, but now you have to fire 2x as many rounds during the CCW qual - 70 from pistol + 70 from revolver. They didn't get the wording in 571.101 (1) to read concealed "weapons" instead of "firearms" to make it more clear that 571 allows CCW permit holders to carry fixed blade knives, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Bumper View Post
    • Allowing a person to possess, manufacture, transport, repair, or sell a machine gun, short-barreled rifle or shotgun, or firearm suppressor if he or she complies with federal law
    Does this line mean that we will now be able to legally possess a shotgun shorter than 18"?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 357and40 View Post
    Would be nice if they trusted all of us rather than a select crowd. Look at our politicians & as yourself if they are more or less trustworthy in my home state than are any of you... If they can carry there just because they now have a CCW should not each one of us be able? These are not LEOs or first responders of any sort.... These are members of the general assembly and their staff... remember, "staff" can include paige, water fetcher, masseuse, etc...

I am not turning my nose up at increased rights for us, I just will not lose sight of the real reason for the passage of the bill. Remove that line & it would have died on the floor before they discussed it.
    Missouri has made adjustments to existing firearms statutes since CCW carry endorsements were adopted. For the most part, Missouri has made fair efforts to match or better modern firearms statues of certain other states. If most other states allowed private citizens to carry in their State capitol, I believe Missouri probably would also. Most firearms statutes pass in MO with bipartisan support.

The reasons for amending RSMO 517.107(5) is based on statistical evidence that puts this group at risk level to warrant an exception. Trust worthiness of the CCW holder is not at issue.

There may be some who fall under the heading full-time employee (defined by section 17, article III) who may not seem to qualify for a special exemption however it should be recognized that full-time employees are the staff who conduct day to day business at the capitol and those who will likely be in the same room or in close proximity to a member of the general assembly person or elected official. Often, there no specific target in government related instances of violence including but not limited to shootings.

All bills can be amended by either house and senate committees before approval. Had there been reason or motive to amend only RSMO 517.107(5), the bill would have been introduced as such or rewritten by committee to strike other provisions of the bill. The bill that was brought to the floor for final vote would probably have passed with or without amendments to RSMO 517.107(5).
    - Zen Saying

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links