BATFE Bans Some Bullets

This is a discussion on BATFE Bans Some Bullets within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by paaiyan So let me make sure I understand this. ATF just arbitrarily decided that .223 is a pistol cartridge now? This is ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: BATFE Bans Some Bullets

Quote Originally Posted by paaiyan View Post
    So let me make sure I understand this. ATF just arbitrarily decided that .223 is a pistol cartridge now?
    This is what I'm trying to understand....
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

2. Remove Ads

So does this mean I can start using an AR-15 in IDPA matches now?......please?
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    "If you wish for peace, prepare for war"

So let me make sure I understand this. ATF just arbitrarily decided that .223 is a pistol cartridge now?
    With the large amount of AR pistols on the market now it wouldn't surprise me if they did. With the push to ban lead bullets in full swing, and restrictions on copper or other solid metal bullets, what would be left for everyone to shoot? What would be left for all the new post-November AR owners to feed their guns?
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Next they'll want our hollow points!! A self defense round should be deadly!!!
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem."
    Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985

It appears that elite Ammo manufactured some bullets out of an alloy of copper and zinc=commercial bronze. Handgun bullets made from bronze are illegal.

The authority comes from 18 USC 921(a)(17)(B). This defines defines armor-piercing handgun ammunition:

The term “armor piercing ammunition” means—
    (i) a projectile or projectile core which may be used in a handgun and which is constructed entirely (excluding the presence of traces of other substances) from one or a combination of tungsten alloys, steel, iron, brass, bronze, beryllium copper, or depleted uranium; or

(ii) a full jacketed projectile larger than .22 caliber designed and intended for use in a handgun and whose jacket has a weight of more than 25 percent of the total weight of the projectile.

I find it hard to believe. The Remington Fireball has been around for A LONG TIME. It's technically a pistol, and uses the .223 cartridge. I would've thought they'd jump on that sooner if they were going to.

If the thing about it being made of bronze is true, how long were they manufacturing them before being told to stop?

If the thing about it being made of bronze is true, how long were they manufacturing them before being told to stop?
    i'm not sure. An acquaintance of a friend has used that ammo. He claims it was originally sold to law enforcement. Supposedly, EA then started selling it to the general public.

IMO: EA could easily clear this one up. The fact that they have chosen not to do so speaks volumes.

More:

Snowflakes is claiming the bullets are made of brass, a prohibited material for handgun bullets.

http://www.snowflakesinhell.com/2011...l-and-6-8-spc/

Quote Originally Posted by cmycek View Post
    Obamacide
    Obamacide. Good term. Because that is exactly what it is. This is how you oppress a nation and turn it's citizens into subjects.

You circumvent Congress by use of your Czars and Department Secretaries to create regulations seemingly on a whim.

The EPA is doing the same thing. And so is Health and Human Services. Regulations which prohibit the private sector from creating jobs.

If you don't think this is not being done by design you should read Cloward and Piven strategy. This is an integral part of it playing out before our eyes. Cloward and Piven isn't the only thing playing out, but it's an integral part of what is happening in the country now.

Pretty soon people will not be able to pick out their own clothes in the morning without making sure their clothes aren't on a government approved list. You know, because of the health risks posed by certain textile manufacturing processes.

But they won't lay all that on us until they get rid of guns, and/or ammunition. It won't be too long before Health and Human Services is working in tandem with BATFE on legislation regarding the health risks. Once Obamacare is set in stone and in full swing, you can bet HHS will be a huge part in gun control.
    snevel likes this.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    The beauty of the ATF is that they can make up the rules as they go.

We have an anti-gun adminstration with anti-gun appointees.

And bets on which way they will rule?
    This is why no enforcement agency should be able to make its own rules or laws. I have written my elected officials about this numerous times and will continue to do so.

Michael

One Congressman is pushing the ATF be eliminated, and arguing that they do nothing that is not duplicated and cannot be handled by other agencies such as the FBI , US Marshalls and Treasury Dept.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I remember when the ATF actually did something useful. Fast forward to 25 years later... I hope the BATFE gets removed. We need fewer alphabet soup agencies as it is.

I hope they axe Homeland Security while they are at it. They should have just increased staffing for existing agencies that already did, and still do, that job.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links