BATFE Bans Some Bullets

BATFE Bans Some Bullets

This is a discussion on BATFE Bans Some Bullets within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Elite Ammunition says that the BATFE has told the company to stop selling their Trident bullets in certain calibers. Elite claims that the BATFE has ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: BATFE Bans Some Bullets

BATFE Bans Some Bullets

Elite Ammunition says that the BATFE has told the company to stop selling their Trident bullets in certain calibers. Elite claims that the BATFE has re-classified some rifle calibers as handgun ammo. This happened years ago when the ChiCom steel core 7.62x39 ammo was banned from import: Someone chambered a handgun in that caliber.

The BATFE cited the notorious "sporting purposes" clause of the GCA 1968: This because some newer handguns are chambered in the calibers listed below.

http://www.eliteammunition.net/newsl...5257/81014.htm

BATF and EA Recent Finding.

EA has had to remove our Trident bullets in .223, 6.5 Grendel and 6.8 SPC. The BATF has ruled that all of these cartridges are now pistol cartridges. Since they are now pistol cartridges their construction now falls under the content and construction limitations of the 68 GAC and pistol cartridges.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Well,this will certainly stop crime.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    Yup regular .223 is not deadly but this particular brand is. Oh well..... this seems like a step ladder to the total banning of all AR/M4-16-etc... calibers nationwide.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

More useless regulation.

Ooh! I have an idea

Let's ban the ATF
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

There is nothing wrong with the ATF. Well, as long as it does what it was intended to do. Which, sadly, has not been the case in far too long.

We are in a budget crunch...sounds like ATF is a good place to start.

I'm not understanding, if rifle caliber rounds are re-classified as handgun rounds, why does the company have to pull them? This sounds like an arbitrary decision...because there are a few AR pistols in these calibers, they need to re-classify and entire line of ammo?
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Need to get an AR soon, before I can't. Obamacide.
    Exercise your 2nd amendment rights....not doing so jeopardizes that right for everyone.

I've heard that 5.45 will eventually meet the same fate. As soon as a major manufacturer makes a pistol in that caliber, all the cheap steel-core surplus dries up and is banned.
    Train, shoot, and write your state/local/US reps, as often as you post on gun boards, and America will be just fine. Semper Fi.

Senior Moderator
    The beauty of the ATF is that they can make up the rules as they go.

We have an anti-gun adminstration with anti-gun appointees.

And bets on which way they will rule?
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    We are in a budget crunch...sounds like ATF is a good place to start.

I'm not understanding, if rifle caliber rounds are re-classified as handgun rounds, why does the company have to pull them? This sounds like an arbitrary decision...because there are a few AR pistols in these calibers, they need to re-classify and entire line of ammo?
    The federal laws about "cop killer bullets" cover the construction of handgun bullets, not rifle bullets. The import of Chinese 7.62x39 steel core was supposedly because of Olympic makng a few OA93 pistols in that caliber, which back in 93 was new and uncommon. The laws on AP ammo don't consider rifle ammo.

I don't know what the ammo they banned is, but how much more deadly than M855 is it supposed to be?
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

ATF manager to desk jockey, "Look busy the boss is here."
    Desk Jockey, "What do I do."
    Manager, "I don't know, think of something."
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms....they should be passing these things out not taking them away.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

BTW:

This may be bad scoop. I can find nothing to substantiate the banning of these bullets except for e-mail from Elite and what is posted on their website. There is nothing on the BATFE website. Folks on another forum are throwing down the flag on this one.

So let me make sure I understand this. ATF just arbitrarily decided that .223 is a pistol cartridge now?
    My blog

WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

VIP Member
    Treasury ought to absorb them. Then ATF can go back to being a convenience store.
    Liberty, Property, or Death - Jonathan Gardner's powder horn inscription 1776

Tu ne cede malis, sed contra audentior ito.
    ("Do not give in to evil but proceed ever more boldly against it.")
    -Virgil, Aeneid, vi, 95

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links