A grad student's self defense concerns. HOT STUFF! (Massad Ayood column)

This is a discussion on A grad student's self defense concerns. HOT STUFF! (Massad Ayood column) within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Massad Ayoob » Blog Archive » GUNS ON CAMPUS: ANOTHER PERSPECTIVE Since this is a quote of a quote of a letter, I think the ...

Thread: A grad student's self defense concerns. HOT STUFF! (Massad Ayood column)

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

Massad Ayoob » Blog Archive » GUNS ON CAMPUS: ANOTHER PERSPECTIVE

Since this is a quote of a quote of a letter, I think the copyright rules are looser, so I've quoted a bit more than I usually do.

Here are the pointed questions a grad student, threatened by animal rights terrorists, asked his state Senator. I believe in campus carry, but after reading this I know WHY I believe.

“I am beat-down and exhausted from expressing my safety concerns and attempting to move through the proper channels. I could count up the e-mails, but there are many. Surely over 50 by now. The vague responses and form replies march on. Meanwhile, those who would harm me continue to flagrantly violate the law, trespassing on campus in spite of repeated warnings.

“Apparently, pieces of paper are not adequate defense against criminal activity.

“To be frank, I’m not sure I’m asking you to DO anything anymore. That has gotten me nowhere. Instead, I’ll ask you the following:

“Why do I, as a law abiding citizen, have less freedom to protect my loved ones than a criminal has to threaten their safety?

“Why do I feel that my compliance with the law is now at odds with the safety of my family? How should I respond to these competing interests? How would you respond, senator, if you were in my situation and had my limited resources?

“What incentive do I have to continue to respect the law and work through the proper channels when it seems that my elected officials cannot even manage to protect a freedom enshrined in the bill of rights?

“Why can I carry a firearm in Wal-Mart, where I can also purchase alcohol, ammunition, and underpants, but I cannot go armed at an institution of higher learning in a workplace occupied predominantly by advanced degree holders?

“Since I can’t go armed on campus, what measures do you propose to keep my family safe? And please don’t suggest law enforcement – (our university police department) has one of the finest response times in the nation, but if you mime a stabbing for two minutes, that comes out to a lot of knife wounds.

“If you could respond to these questions or the sentiment behind them, I’d sure appreciate it.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

He doesn't understand sheep, none of those are a problem unless it's happening in their backyard, then they'll call 911 if they can... to let someone else deal with it. They make great victims.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

After reading the blog, if the quoted statement is correct, the activists are actively engaged in and are promoting Domestic Terrorism parallel with Al-Qeada. My question would include "Why the **** have you not bagged and tagged this group and sent them to Gitmo for some water therapy? Isn't that the gist for the existence of the Patriot Act, and DHS??"
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Domestic terrorists have been given passes for a very long time. The so called "Dep't of Homeland Security" is not interested in going after domestic terrorists because there is no political mileage in it for them. i can't find this group on any list of terrorist organizations.

NEGOTIATION IS OVER

mkh
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig 210 View Post
    Domestic terrorists have been given passes for a very long time. The so called "Dep't of Homeland Security" is not interested in going after domestic terrorists because there is no political mileage in it for them. i can't find this group on any list of terrorist organizations.

NEGOTIATION IS OVER
    I followed your link to NEGOTIATION IS OVER. That was scary. People that are willing to break out into an all out war over animal rights are truly some mentally sick people.

Quote Originally Posted by mkh View Post
    I followed your link to NEGOTIATION IS OVER. That was scary. People that are willing to break out into an all out war over animal rights are truly some mentally sick people.
    I checked out that blog and I would put them in the same category as I would any domestic terrorists. I actually read through a lot of that garbage on their blog and they are just plain out unable to rationalize. Sick sick people.

If I was in this person's position I would invest in a Kel Tec P-11 and a pocket holster. I know I shouldn't say that in public. However, it is the only thing that makes sense in this scenario. His life is being threatened by an organization that admittedly puts the lives of animals ahead of the lives of humans.

Here is a direct quote from NIO's blog.

Students also need to understand that making the wrong choice will result in a lifetime of grief. Aspiring scientists envision curing cancer at the Mayo Clinic. We need to impart a new vision: car bombs, 24/7 security cameras, embarrassing home demonstrations, threats, injuries, and fear. And, of course, these students need to realize that any personal risk they are willing to assume will also be visited upon their parents, children, and nearest & dearest loved ones. The time to reconsider is now.
    The speach that plays on their home page says the animal rights campaign may need to go the way of the IRA. They are openly agitating sentiments of hate while encouraging violence. The first amendment says you can make any political speach you want. We you add in inciting violence against specific people that right stops. Their right to speak is not greater than the life of a person.

I hope these students survive this. I hope that it doesn't come down to somebody losing their life. I hope that somebody wakes up and realizes that a campus is not a fairy tale world. By pandering to earn the votes of people governed by emotion our legislators are endangering the lives of innocent kids.

This story is actually going to encourage me to write my state reps about campus carry.
    Last edited by MikeNice; July 20th, 2011 at 11:04 AM.

There is a saying around like this: "I would rather be judged by 12 than carried by six."
    NOT LIVING IN FEAR, JUST READY!!!
    I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness,
    nor the arrow for its swiftness,
    nor the warrior for his glory.
    I love only that which they defend.
    -J.R.R. Tolkien

Links