Foster parents + firearms confusion

This is a discussion on Foster parents + firearms confusion within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So did ya show them the law yet? :)...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Foster parents + firearms confusion

So did ya show them the law yet? :)

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by YANG View Post
    So did ya show them the law yet? :)
    We sent them an email about the new law a few days ago with a link. They said they would need to contact the head office and get a response. It took several days, but last night when we came into class they told us that they received a reply. They said as long as we are licensed, everything would be fine and that they needed a copy of our licenses. So we gave them our CHLs and she made photo copies of them, and that was the end of the story.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    We sent them an email about the new law a few days ago with a link. They said they would need to contact the head office and get a response. It took several days, but last night when we came into class they told us that they received a reply. They said as long as we are licensed, everything would be fine and that they needed a copy of our licenses. So we gave them our CHLs and she made photo copies of them, and that was the end of the story.
    Congrats. Its good they understood and didnt make a big deal about it.

Senior Moderator
    Good deal. Glad it worked out for you. Sometimes you just have to push back to make things happen.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Senior Member Array Phillep Harding's Avatar
    The proof will be in whether you get kids or not. They can always find something, if they decide you should not have any.

Before everybody gets all self-righteous here about foster children and second amendment rights you need to do a little reading about foster children and some of the problems inherent in caring for them. I spent nine years teaching ( I am a Special Ed teacher with a Behavior Intervention Specialty License) in a Juvenile Placement Group Home (4 years) and in public school alternative school (5 years.) Most of my students were either from foster homes or dysfunctional single parent homes and had spent some time in the foster care system. They had also all been in the Juvenile Justice system for major criminal activity.

Just to be sure that I wasn’t biased from too small a segment of foster care kids, I read up on state data for foster care kids and crime rates. There are just a few sources posted below as links. Most of the children with no major issues don’t stay in the foster care system but are eventually adopted. What is left are for the majority of times children with major mental and social adjustment issues. Many agencies must exercise extreme caution in the environments these children are placed in. In most states there are few if any “lock-ups” for violent and troubled children. Instead they are fed into the foster care system. In some, but not all, cases the agency cannot even tell the foster parents that a problem exists. I am the last person to say these children shouldn’t receive help, but they don’t need to be around handguns.

I really admire you if you want to help with foster care but you are going to have to live by the agency rules and that may very well mean “incident proofing” your house, up to and including not having handguns in the house. Normal safety procedures are useless as most of the really wise kids that have been around in the system for awhile know how to over ride locks and safes. And you are really naïve if you believe that the agency is only going to send you the “good kids.” Every foster home gets their fair share of the “bad seeds.”
    Read these links:

www.mit.edu/~jjdoyle/doyle_jpe_aug08.pdf

Study shows crime rates of foster care wards decline to norms
    Last edited by wjh2657; August 29th, 2011 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Adjust type size
    Retired Marine, Retired School Teacher, Independent voter, Goldwater Conservative.

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wjh2657 View Post
    Before everybody gets all self-righteous here about foster children and second amendment rights you need to do a little reading about foster children and some of the problems inherent in caring for them. I spent nine years teaching ( I am a Special Ed teacher with a Behavior Intervention Specialty License) in a Juvenile Placement Group Home (4 years) and in public school alternative school (5 years.) Most of my students were either from foster homes or dysfunctional single parent homes and had spent some time in the foster care system. They had also all been in the Juvenile Justice system for major criminal activity.

Just to be sure that I wasn’t biased from too small a segment of foster care kids, I read up on state data for foster care kids and crime rates. There are just a few sources posted below as links. Most of the children with no major issues don’t stay in the foster care system but are eventually adopted. What is left are for the majority of times children with major mental and social adjustment issues. Many agencies must exercise extreme caution in the environments these children are placed in. In most states there are few if any “lock-ups” for violent and troubled children. Instead they are fed into the foster care system. In some, but not all, cases the agency cannot even tell the foster parents that a problem exists. I am the last person to say these children shouldn’t receive help, but they don’t need to be around handguns.

I really admire you if you want to help with foster care but you are going to have to live by the agency rules and that may very well mean “incident proofing” your house, up to and including not having handguns in the house. Normal safety procedures are useless as most of the really wise kids that have been around in the system for awhile know how to over ride locks and safes. And you are really naïve if you believe that the agency is only going to send you the “good kids.” Every foster home gets their fair share of the “bad seeds.”
    Read these links:

www.mit.edu/~jjdoyle/doyle_jpe_aug08.pdf

Study shows crime rates of foster care wards decline to norms
    Big font doesnt make a big point. And your point is well received however if I were to adpot then it would be a major turn off to me as a potential awesome parent for a child because of all this liberal red tape. Just saying'. Sorry but I will not grow wool and build a sheep pen around my home after several years living a life of self defense, self awareness, and absolute firearm safety. Once again I am not adopting but if I were and encountered these idiotic rules then I would be thinking twice if it is even worth it.

Let me end with this.... I have a really big and nearly indestructible Liberty safe that houses all my toys. But I can't have a child from an adoption agency. And to boot I would have to show a permit? I mean what if I live where a firearm is permitted without license such as a deer rifle? Okay whatever this whole government ran adoption policy sucks.

And lastly any study with the word Chicago on it just doesn't deserve two seconds of time. That would be like reading a study from the Cuban government on what real economic liberty is.

Im leaving this thread.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links