Foster parents + firearms confusion

This is a discussion on Foster parents + firearms confusion within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; We went to our first class to become foster parents today. They told us that we were not allowed to have a loaded handgun in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Foster parents + firearms confusion

We went to our first class to become foster parents today. They told us that we were not allowed to have a loaded handgun in the house or transport any kind of handgun in the car. I spoke to the people after class about those with a CHL and they said it didn't matter. I told them I wouldn't be able to continue to become a foster parent it if meant I had to give up my right to carry a handgun.

Well, my wife jumped on the internet when we got home and found that a law passed in Texas just a few months ago specifically addressing foster parents who have CHL saying that child-protective-services could not enforce that rule.

So I guess we'll print out a copy of the law and take it to class next week.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

Kudos for being willing to give a family to a child in need of one. Hope it works out for you.

Nathanimal and joker1 like this.
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.”
    Jeff Cooper

VIP Member
    Unfortunately I have a feeling this is one where you can win the battle, and still lose the war.

A simple matter for them to flag your records and pass you by on calls.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Every state is different. We just started thinking through the fostering and adopting process in AZ and there is no problem here. You just have to have a safe for the guns and keep ammo stored separately. But the agency might not have been aware of the law change in your case, so take the new statute and show it to them.
    BugDude likes this.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Quote Originally Posted by archer51 View Post
    Unfortunately I have a feeling this is one where you can win the battle, and still lose the war.

If it were me doing the flagging, it would be for being a protective parent. adric!
    oneshot likes this.
    Vietnam Vets, WELCOME HOME

Crossman 760 BB/Pellet, Daisy Red Ryder, Crossman Wrist Rocket, 14 Steak Knives, 3 Fillet Knives, Rolling Pin-14", Various Hunting Knives, 2 Baseball Bats, 3 Big Dogs and a big American Flag flying in the yard. I have no firearms; Try the next house.

I hope you get a good kid that just needs a stable environment and unconditional love
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Or to only put the most difficult & undesirable children in your home. Yes, I mean children with horrible track records in other Foster Parents homes.

Thanks for steping up to take care of children in need.
    "I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched c-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."
    - Roy Batty

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Another example of those who should know the laws that concern them (the foster care department) not knowing. All too often people simply accept the word of "authoritiy figures."

I agree that you will win this battle legally--thanks to the recent change in the law--, but the department may prevail in its bias.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by adric22 View Post
    We went to our first class to become foster parents today. They told us that we were not allowed to have a loaded handgun in the house or transport any kind of handgun in the car. I spoke to the people after class about those with a CHL and they said it didn't matter. I told them I wouldn't be able to continue to become a foster parent it if meant I had to give up my right to carry a handgun.

Well, my wife jumped on the internet when we got home and found that a law passed in Texas just a few months ago specifically addressing foster parents who have CHL saying that child-protective-services could not enforce that rule.

So I guess we'll print out a copy of the law and take it to class next week.
    I'd inform the instructors supervisor about the change in the law. That way, there bosses are telling them they can't say that anymore. Not a student.
    Don't believe what you hear and only half of what you see!
    -Tony Soprano

Senior Moderator
    I'd send them a registered letter and ask why they are not following the law. Include a copy of the law passed in Texas just a few months ago specifically addressing foster parents who have CHL saying that child-protective-services could not enforce that rule.Make someone sign for the letter. Hold them accountable.
    thephanatik likes this.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Another example of those who should know the laws that concern them (the foster care department) not knowing. All too often people simply accept the word of "authoritiy figures."
    I've been amazed at the stupidity of this whole process, to be honest. There is a binder 2 inches thick with a list of all of the things we can and can't do. Some of it is just like "duh" and other things are ridiculous. I'm not sure where they come up with some of these rules.

The paperwork we were given to fill out was a 3rd or 4th generation photocopy and the papers were so poorly photocopied that the much of the text is unreadable and much is missing because in some cases the original document is at as much as a 30 degree angle on the page. Not only that, but the documents are full of bad grammar and misspelled words. As I've filled it out the paperwork, I've taken it upon myself to make little notations on them. Maybe somebody will get the picture.

So far we've spent about 12 hours in class absorbing about 20 minutes of actual information. I'm not sure what the point is of these "classes" are. I'd have rather they just give me information to read and let me be tested on it. At least our CHL class actually spent most of the time actually disseminating actual information.

So anyway, it doesn't surprise me that they are not familiar with the new law. Actually, we found out that Governor Perry didn't sign the law into effect until June 17 of this year. So it is a very recent change.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." -Plato

It's amazing that folks with a stable history, no criminal record, and some serious background checks are not the kind of folks they want.

Good luck with it. I've worked with quite a few foster kids when I was a Wilderness Counselor. They tend to have some interesting issues. But with the right guidance, discipline, and love they can be some really rewarding kids to work with too.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    This makes no sense. What difference is a foster child from a real child when it involves your second amendment?

Am I missing something here? This is so incredibly stupid I almost dont want to hear the answers why.
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array Lotus222's Avatar
    ...Is anyone really surprised by this? Sounds as typical as peanut-butter and jelly to me.

That is unfortunate but true, I am afraid.
    "Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links