Gun rights activists are the new Black Panthers? From "The Atlantic" - Page 2

Gun rights activists are the new Black Panthers? From "The Atlantic"

This is a discussion on Gun rights activists are the new Black Panthers? From "The Atlantic" within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by ChrisMia ...The real subject of the article as far as I'm concerned is the development of the NRA, and I know many ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Gun rights activists are the new Black Panthers? From "The Atlantic"

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisMia View Post
    ...The real subject of the article as far as I'm concerned is the development of the NRA, and I know many won't like the fact that I'm saying this, but I can understand the argument that the NRA's efforts can sometimes be excessive - and that as one of the most powerful policitcal voices in America, that excessiveness can come across as strong-arming an issue, election, etc. ...
    When you are playing a legal/political game on that level, you HAVE to know the rules and tactics. That means excessive, strong-arm, and back door deals are all part of the ground rules.

I don't like it, extremists scare me (regardless of their stance), and polar opposites usually end up either cancelling each other out, or bungles up a good thing into a WCS. Unfortunately it's now the accepted way to get sh...stuff done.

It sickens me, the amount of money and time spent on issues like this (by both sides), that could make a world of difference if applied towards other more pressing social issues in this country, to stop the whirlpool caused by the collective toilet flushing of western society. Unfortunately, we can't for a moment stop fighting it, lest we loose a 240 year old RIGHT all together. They've [antis] gotten in the door (not just a foot) and they won't quit until they've taken everything.
    oakchas likes this.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

I'd like to see a POTUS get in office with half a brain and some balls to get these factions together in the same room and say -
    "We are going to put a moratorium on this 2A matter for the next 2 years. In the mean time, I want both of you to focus your time and money on Public Education, and Social Services [name your bi-partisan issue here - other than medical insurance]. Put your differences aside and help me fix these problems. Any mention of anything related to the 2A during this time by either of you, I can assure you, you will not like the consequences. I doubt either of you would survive an IRS audit, or in depth investigation into campaign contributions and "donations" to political leaders. Understood?"
    I know...keep dreaming.
    Sticks

Grasseater // Grass~eat~er noun, often attributive \ˈgras-ē-tər\
    A person who is incapable of independent thought; a person who is herd animal-like in behavior; one who cannot distinguish between right and wrong; a foolish person.
    See also Sheep

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post
    I'd like to see a POTUS get in office with half a brain and some balls to get these factions together in the same room and say -

I know...keep dreaming.
    So you are totally cool with a tinpot twobit wannabe dictator for POTUS making ugly threats in an effort to silence any discussion that he/she/it hasn't approved of then?

Quote Originally Posted by Sticks View Post

I know...keep dreaming.
    So you are totally cool with a tinpot twobit wannabe dictator for POTUS making ugly threats in an effort to silence any discussion that he/she/it hasn't approved of then?

VIP Member
    As the Yale law professor Akhil Reed Amar has observed,
    Between 1775 and 1866 the poster boy of arms morphed from the Concord minuteman to the Carolina freedman.
    Among other things, the article's lesson should end permanently the use of uncivil obedience - e.g., the Panthers' legal display of weapons - as a means to achieving political goals. The Carolina freedmen were in want of equal treatment under the law. They got a Constitutional ammendment.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links