Gun Carry Laws (States Comparison ratings)

This is a discussion on Gun Carry Laws (States Comparison ratings) within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; After reading several recent forum posts there seems to be a lot of both confusion as well as just difference of opinions as to the ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sdprof

Thread: Gun Carry Laws (States Comparison ratings)

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar

Gun Carry Laws (States Comparison ratings)

After reading several recent forum posts there seems to be a lot of both confusion as well as just difference of opinions as to the quality of various states laws and their adherence to second amendment rights. (I'm not suggesting any totally do)

First I'd like to ask if there are any sites you have found that have attempted to rate/compare all 50 states to each other for 2nd amendment rights?

If not I'm considering doing some research and comparisons my self. Just for fun. (sort of)

Obviously there are 100s or more criteria that could be compared between the states. I'm more interested in finding maybe the 10-12 most important (what ever that means) and rate all based on the same list giving a point score for each.

Of course if some one or organization (not the Brady foundation) has already done this then I'd love to see it for my self.

Share your thoughts, ideas, comments (be nice OK?) I know no two of us will agree on everything but if i can just sort of satisfy 80% I'll be more than pleased. If I can find some one that already makes 80% happy I'll be even more pleased. There are good sites that discuss each state in detail with reasonable comments. I'd love to see a point score rating system for all states comparing each to each other.
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar
    OK so so far no thoughts? Ideas? Here is my first swag at a list I personally feel might be used to compare and rate states against each other.

• Shall issue, may issue, rights denied
    • # of states that recognize this states permit
    • # of states this state honors
    • Open carry allowed
    • Cost of permit
    • Level of training required for permit
    • Quantity, complexity, etc. of carry restricted locations
    • Police notification required for all contacts, only when asked
    • Costs, fines, forfeiture, policies.
    • County, city restriction allowed above state regulations.
    • Average time from application to issue of carry license.

Some would be weighed heavier than others of course.
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

Well, those good folks at the Brady campaign do a pretty good job of this. Of course, their list is upside down.

Synopsis:
    http://www.bradycampaign.org/xshare/...d_Rankings.pdf

Details
    http://www.bradycampaign.org/xshare/...ing_system.pdf

Why not waste some of their network bandwidth!
    Tzadik likes this.
    ~~~~~
    The only common sense gun legislation was written about 224 years ago.

I carry always not because I go places trouble is likely, but because trouble has a habit of not staying in its assigned zone.

Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Distinguished Member
    Carry in restaurants that serve alcohol or carry on public transportation. Car same as home or have to unload (locked container, etc.). Level of rights denied to non-permit holders vs. permit holders.
    Americans understood the right of self-preservation as permitting a citizen to repel force by force
    when the intervention of society... may be too late to prevent an injury.
    -Blackstone’s Commentaries 145–146, n. 42 (1803) in District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008)

Distinguished Member Array jumpwing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sdprof View Post
    Well, those good folks at the Brady campaign do a pretty good job of this. Of course, their list is upside down.

Synopsis:
    http://www.bradycampaign.org/xshare/...d_Rankings.pdf

Details
    http://www.bradycampaign.org/xshare/...ing_system.pdf

Why not waste some of their network bandwidth!
    You beat me to it.
    "The flock sleep peaceably in their pasture at night because Sheepdogs stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
    cafepress.com/bgstudios

Links