2nd amendment and the CDC report on Gun violence.

This is a discussion on 2nd amendment and the CDC report on Gun violence. within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Give me a moment to make the case here. The CDC report on gun violence makes very interesting reading and you can find it here: ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: 2nd amendment and the CDC report on Gun violence.

2nd amendment and the CDC report on Gun violence.

Give me a moment to make the case here.

The CDC report on gun violence makes very interesting reading and you can find it here:
    Violence-Related Firearm Deaths Among Residents of Metropolitan Areas and Cities --- United States, 2006--2007

The term MSA refers to Metropolitan statistical area and is a geographical area that surrounds and includes some major cities in the US.

If you read to the bottom of the report you will see the following summary in the editorial note:

Proposed measures for directly reducing the risk for firearm homicide and firearm suicide have included behavior-oriented approaches such as education regarding the safe storage and handling of guns (6,7), strategies to change the design of firearms to make them safer (8), and legislative efforts to reduce the potential for firearm-related violence (e.g., licensing requirements and waiting periods to reduce the potential consequences of impulsive suicidal behavior) (9). However, most of these direct measures have not been evaluated adequately, making it difficult to know their effectiveness in reducing firearm-related deaths and injuries (10). Progress in preventing firearm violence will require further investigation of the effectiveness of such proposed measures, as well as building the capacity of states and communities to successfully implement programs focused on reducing all forms of interpersonal and self-directed violence.

There have been numerous discussions on several threads about things like HR 822, pediatricians asking aobut firearms in the home, etc. If everyone could just take a deep breath and think about what is in this CDC report and how we might take appropriate steps to reduce suicide and homicide realted to guns, there might be some common grounds on which we could proceed.

2. Remove Ads

I didn't read the report. I dont understand why the CDC is interested in gun violence. I haven't meet a violent gun. They are usually calm cool and colective. I have meet evil sadistic peolpe whom choose to use guns in a violent manner.

I haven't even shot at Bambi, however if I were hungry he is on the menu.

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    I have ABSOLUTELY zero interest in reading the CDC's gun control propaganda.

Gun control is like pregnancy, there is no such thing as a "little".

Registration only has one purpose...future confiscation!

If someone wants to commit suicide, they WILL accomplish their goal with or without guns.

If someone wants another human being dead badly enough, they WILL accomplish their goal, with or without guns.

You need to go peddle this load of crap to someone else...I'm not buying it...not for one second.

A Doctor has absolutely no business asking a minor child if there are guns are in the house!!! PERIOD
    You and I have butted heads over this before. Nothing has changed. When it has been decided in the courts, perhaps we can talk.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

VIP Member
    The CDC does not even list suicide or homicide in the to 10 causes of death for 2007 (last year of statistics). This being the case, I think they could find more productive ways to spend OUR money. They need to keep their priorities on medical issues and not on moral issues.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Why is the CDC wasting our tax dollars studying gun violence ? Unless it's lead poisoning seems like they have stepped off their block of expertise. I didn't nor will I read the report.
    Tzadik and SFury like this.

I never knew a gun was susceptible to diseases other than rust, whodathunkit?

Really, they could have just contacted the NRA to see what they have learned from compiling decades of gun statistics in relations to education and training to the number of firearms accidents.

The trend shows more education/training = less accidents. It's not even a linear relationship. It's multiplicative in effectiveness in reducing accidents.

Outside of accidental shootings, what can the CDC really gain in insight? If you are shot and killed because someone wanted you dead, well, that was a personal decision. Gun, baseball bat, knife, poison, car, or whatever else could easily be substituted for a gun. It's called murder, and murder negates a lot of statistics.

Senior Moderator
    And the Center for Disease Control cares about my guns why?

Several of my hunting buds are Doctors. One is a Pediatrician, one a Gynecologist,another a Orthopedic Surgeon and one an Anesthesiologist. We have spent lots of time in camps, duck and turkey hunting and deer hunting too. All of these Docs have AR CHL's. They are all very savy in guns and the right to bear arms.

Those time in camps sitting around the campfire have seen us engaged in many discussions about many things, one of them being the CDC and just what exactly its purpose was. It is their opinion that the CDC is little more than a leftist political organization for Doctors that like to think of themselves as social engineers. It is certainley an organization that believes gun ownership to be a disease, and it dosent take a brain surgeon to figure that out.

If everyone could just take a deep breath and think about what is in this CDC report and how we might take appropriate steps to reduce suicide and homicide realted to guns, there might be some common grounds on which we could proceed.
    Negative.

There is nothing I can do to reduce suicide, except to not commit it myself. If I have to shoot someone, it's because they needed it.

I hold no common ground with those that would eliminate my ability to protect myself or my family, in fact, if it were up to me, I would cut their heads off and place them on sticks for all to see,so that it would help those that would do so remember not to mess with me,my guns or the Second Amendment.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorBob View Post
    Give me a moment to make the case here.

The CDC report on gun violence makes very interesting reading and you can find it here:
    Violence-Related Firearm Deaths Among Residents of Metropolitan Areas and Cities --- United States, 2006--2007

The term MSA refers to Metropolitan statistical area and is a geographical area that surrounds and includes some major cities in the US.

If you read to the bottom of the report you will see the following summary in the editorial note:

Proposed measures for directly reducing the risk for firearm homicide and firearm suicide have included behavior-oriented approaches such as education regarding the safe storage and handling of guns (6,7), strategies to change the design of firearms to make them safer (8), and legislative efforts to reduce the potential for firearm-related violence (e.g., licensing requirements and waiting periods to reduce the potential consequences of impulsive suicidal behavior) (9). However, most of these direct measures have not been evaluated adequately, making it difficult to know their effectiveness in reducing firearm-related deaths and injuries (10). Progress in preventing firearm violence will require further investigation of the effectiveness of such proposed measures, as well as building the capacity of states and communities to successfully implement programs focused on reducing all forms of interpersonal and self-directed violence.

There have been numerous discussions on several threads about things like HR 822, pediatricians asking aobut firearms in the home, etc. If everyone could just take a deep breath and think about what is in this CDC report and how we might take appropriate steps to reduce suicide and homicide realted to guns, there might be some common grounds on which we could proceed.
    Uhh I think you found the wrong forum, perhaps you where looking for defensiveantigunlegislation.com

CDC ?

You've GOT to be kidding me!

Lemme guess...you pay dues to them every year and you place their propaganda tools in your magazine racks so that your patients can enlighten themselves right?

Distinguished Member Array deadguy's Avatar
    It's obvious why the CDC is involved.

Lead poisoning. It'll kill ya.
    There's nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive

I'm sorry...reading a CDC report about gun safety is like reading Guns & Ammo for the latest techniques in heart valve reconstruction.....

While both may have an opinion, neither have the credibility when stepping out of their area of expertise. The CDC has no credibility when discussing gun safety.

The CDC believes the gun is the problem....when it is the user with a problem. My guns haven't been used in a suicide....or a homicide....therefore, I've reduced the rate of suicide and homicide in my home.

and legislative efforts to reduce the potential for firearm-related violence (e.g., licensing requirements and waiting periods to reduce the potential consequences of impulsive suicidal behavior)
    Doctors have licensing requirements...and they still kill people...all this does is infringe on my rights. Suicidal people will use any tool to do the job...if truly impulsive. Razors (ohh! lets license and have a waiting period for shaving), rope (waiting period?), walking into traffic (need to ban shoes!); automobile (lets see...already a license for that....but what if they run themselves into a tree, embankment or on-coming traffic? Give them a ticket?); drowning (need a license for pools, buckets, and tubs?)

So you see how silly the CDC's position is now, right? Suicide is NOT a disease. Homicide is NOT a disease. Gun ownership is NOT a disease (but I do have the SIGness! )....so the CDC is not qualified to discuss gun safety, storage or ownership.
    Tzadik and Ianator like this.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Distinguished Member Array tangoseal's Avatar
    Umm last I checked CDC stood for Centers for Disease Control... So now they have enacted powers of the ATF and the Department of Education sends swat teams to arrest people for not paying student loans.

Oh my God what happened to our country?
    "I believe that the right of the citizen to keep and bear arms must not be infringed if liberty in America is to survive." - Ronald Reagan

Distinguished Member Array Hoganbeg's Avatar
    the answer is to get people to stop wanting to kill themselves and each other.

Why the hell the CDC studying anything related to guns ? Talk about stepping beyond their authority, they are stretching this one all the way to Mars.

Patient --- patient owns guns ---- patient must pay a lot more for health insurance, or bans guns as hazardous to your health ?
    Last edited by Eagleks; August 12th, 2011 at 04:58 AM.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links