Gun Rights Win in Florida - Page 2

Gun Rights Win in Florida

This is a discussion on Gun Rights Win in Florida within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; i'm talking about an amendment to the U.S. Constitution that would impose a fine on those who make laws going against any part of the ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Gun Rights Win in Florida

i'm talking about an amendment to the U.S. Constitution that would impose a fine on those who make laws going against any part of the constitution. not just the 2nd amendment.

Quote Originally Posted by beaker View Post
    i'm talking about an amendment to the U.S. Constitution that would impose a fine on those who make laws going against any part of the constitution. not just the 2nd amendment.
    that is way too simplistic of a concept. there are courts that decide what is and isn't constitutional, trying to penalize a lawmaker for a law that doesn't pass muster is not fair.
    what you could do, is what florida is doing which is to punish those in local government who flout the legal on the books laws

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stubborn View Post
    Scott has done everything he said he would, so far, with no surprises. He's pro-gun and pro-life and is doing his best to bring fiscal responsibility to the State. But the news is covered with what a poor approval rating he has, (35% this week, up 8 points from a couple of weeks ago) I don't understand either. Unless the news is just "sour grapes" from the liberals.
    Much of that stems from his habit of boasting about how many jobs "he's" created while failing to mention how many jobs have been lost, including state jobs and others such as United Space Alliance laying off 1500 a week or two ago. The Canaveral/Titusville area is really going to be in sad shape. Somehow that never enters his "stats."
    jem102 likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Much of that stems from his habit of boasting about how many jobs "he's" created while failing to mention how many jobs have been lost, including state jobs and others such as United Space Alliance laying off 1500 a week or two ago. The Canaveral/Titusville area is really going to be in sad shape. Somehow that never enters his "stats."
    are you referring to the obuma shut down of nasa? so much for all his stimulus con job

Distinguished Member Array Lotus222's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    are you referring to the obuma shut down of nasa? so much for all his stimulus con job
    Yeah, I have to agree with this. USA was contracted and tied directly to NASA. Anything that affects NASA is going to directly affect its business partners and contractors.

As for laying off jobs in the public sector... This is exactly what Scott promised he would do. Cut government spending and try to end all the bureaucracy and red tape that hurts the private sector - while increasing private sector jobs, thus stimulating the economy and promoting statewide small businesses.

There are a lot of people who feel the FL OC Bill got intentionally derailed, in no small part, by Scott.
    كافر AMERICAN INFIDEL كافر

Distinguished Member Array Stubborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 5POINT56 View Post
    There are a lot of people who feel the FL OC Bill got intentionally derailed, in no small part, by Scott.
    Pinellas county Sheriff Jim Coates testimony at the state house killed OC here more than any other single factor. I've posted this here a couple of times in the past, but it may have been before you came on-board.
    FL Sheriffs Association - Officers will Draw Down on Lawful Open Carriers - YouTube

When the legislature heard what he had to say, it swung 180 degrees overnight.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it".
    Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Distinguished Member Array Lotus222's Avatar
    Is there actually substance to back those claims? From everything that I read, there was a body of people who were against the implementation of an open carry bill, and opposed to HB 45. Prepare to be shocked that there was a vocal opposition by (drumroll) ...the police. Now, whether or not the police were actually against an open carry bill, I have no idea. Of course the media's main focus was that police didn't want the bill to pass so... take that with a grain of salt.

I could be completely mistaken, but I thought it Scott that has gotten the ball rolling for increased gun rights across the state. I'm one up to the north, so I don't know everything that is going on down there. This is how I have been perceiving things, though.

Edit: Looks like I was a late. Thanks for the link, stubborn. I would hate to have to deal with a police force who has that mentality...

not knowing scott's position I can't comment on that, what I know is that it was a legislative committee that weakened the OC bill and from what I've heard around is that is was some over zealous OC advocates who made real arses of themselves and cost the OC bill some of the weaker members of the committee that could have sent the bill onto the full chamber.

Quote Originally Posted by Stubborn View Post
    Pinellas county Sheriff Jim Coates testimony at the state house killed OC here more than any other single factor. I've posted this here a couple of times in the past, but it may have been before you came on-board.
    FL Sheriffs Association - Officers will Draw Down on Lawful Open Carriers - YouTube

When the legislature heard what he had to say, it swung 180 degrees overnight.
    what you've said is true, in addition to this sheriff, the orange county sheriffs office testified before the committee using illegally gained and evidence and evidence that was illegal to use before the committee. that evidence was pictures of cwfl holders who looked like motorcycle gang members, regardless of the fact that none of those pictured had broken any law. the orange county sheriffs office broke the law that says no list of cwfl holders should be made, or kept by a law enforcement agency other than the DOACS. not only did they compile a list, illegally they had the gall to use it in testimony before a senate committee. why this crime isn't being prosecuted I don't know.

The preemption law has been on the books since 1988, the bill passed this year just put teeth into the existing law.
    02PSD4ME

Quote Originally Posted by apvbguy View Post
    what you've said is true, in addition to this sheriff, the orange county sheriffs office testified before the committee using illegally gained and evidence and evidence that was illegal to use before the committee. that evidence was pictures of cwfl holders who looked like motorcycle gang members, regardless of the fact that none of those pictured had broken any law. the orange county sheriffs office broke the law that says no list of cwfl holders should be made, or kept by a law enforcement agency other than the DOACS. not only did they compile a list, illegally they had the gall to use it in testimony before a senate committee. why this crime isn't being prosecuted I don't know.
    Wow...interesting stuff. And beyond those points, it sounds like a case the NRA should have been all over.
    كافر AMERICAN INFIDEL كافر

Wow...interesting stuff. And beyond those points, it sounds like a case the NRA should have been all over.
    the NRA was involved and accepted the compromises made to get what did get passed made into law, that was that there will be no unrestricted OC in FLA but an inadvertent exposure was no longer a criminal offense. not what the OC crowd wanted but it eliminated a foolish part of the original concealed carry laws

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links