How Far Are You Willing To Take It? - Page 2

How Far Are You Willing To Take It?

This is a discussion on How Far Are You Willing To Take It? within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I cannot remember a time during my lifetime when gun laws (on the whole) were any less restrictive than they are today. More people in ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: How Far Are You Willing To Take It?

I cannot remember a time during my lifetime when gun laws (on the whole) were any less restrictive than they are today. More people in this country legally own handguns and more people have permits to carry them than at any time in the last sixty years and the numbers keep growing. 2nd amendment rights look pretty strong from where I'm sitting.
    limatunes likes this.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Senior Moderator
    In addition to the fine FINE points that have already been made I would not take my 2A right farther than what I could do to support my family.

If you want to stand on principle and tell your boss you quit because he won't let you carry while under his employ that's fine but if my husband did that we'd be out our primary source of income and there would be 3 dozen people MORE than happy to not carry at work so they can have a job that provides for their family and needs. Not to mention I would be ROYALLY TICKED off.

He has a wife, a son and a daughter on the way. If he gave up his means to accomplish his PRIMARY responsibility of providing for his family because of his desire to exercise his 2A rights I would have to hit him over the head with something very hard because he'd have gone completely crazy and his priorities need realigning with something akin to a baseball bat.

I say if you have the means and opportunity to make a martyr out of yourself and be a test case go and knock yourself out.

We need the money the job provides.. we need the job.. some principles are a lot more important than others and the principle of providing for family and putting food on the table trumps the principle of being able to carry at work.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene83 View Post
    I cannot remember a time during my lifetime when gun laws (on the whole) were any less restrictive than they are today. More people in this country legally own handguns and more people have permits to carry them than at any time in the last sixty years and the numbers keep growing. 2nd amendment rights look pretty strong from where I'm sitting.
    True, they have gotten better of late.

But I remember when I lived in CHICAGO and my uncle in Texas sent me a shotgun in the U.S. Mail, I was about 10 years old. I also remember the Gun Club on (IIRC) Waveland Ave. In the city limits! Prolly 8 blocks from my apt. at the edge of Lake Michigan, where they used to shoot trap or skeet (or both) I was 13 years old...

Try shooting trap in city of Chicago now... try getting a shotgun mailed to you via USPS.
    Rats!
    It could be worse!
    I suppose

Quote Originally Posted by oakchas View Post
    True, they have gotten better of late.

But I remember when I lived in CHICAGO and my uncle in Texas sent me a shotgun in the U.S. Mail, I was about 10 years old. I also remember the Gun Club on (IIRC) Waveland Ave. In the city limits! Prolly 8 blocks from my apt. at the edge of Lake Michigan, where they used to shoot trap or skeet (or both) I was 13 years old...

Try shooting trap in city of Chicago now... try getting a shotgun mailed to you via USPS.
    That's true. And there are areas of the country..Chicago (as you mentioned), New Jersey (I think), California, Hawaii, New York..where local and state gun laws make ownership and carry damned near impossible. But, I can remember when all handgun permits were "may issue" and unless you were politically connected to local law enforcement, your chances of getting a permit were slim and none. If you were the president of the local bank, and you contributed to the sheriff's reelection kitty, you might get a permit. That was just the way it worked, at least in my neck of the woods. That's changed now. Over 11% of the residents of my county who are over 21 years of age have a handgun carry permit. That's over one in ten. That's a pretty huge number in a county the size of mine. It wasn't like that back in the glorious fifties that everybody dreams of.
    "The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come." ~ Confucius

Hey Oakchas, North Ashland ring a bell.
    "I do what I do." Cpl 'coach' Bowden, "Southern Comfort".

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    In addition to the fine FINE points that have already been made I would not take my 2A right farther than what I could do to support my family.

If you want to stand on principle and tell your boss you quit because he won't let you carry while under his employ that's fine but if my husband did that we'd be out our primary source of income and there would be 3 dozen people MORE than happy to not carry at work so they can have a job that provides for their family and needs. Not to mention I would be ROYALLY TICKED off.

He has a wife, a son and a daughter on the way. If he gave up his means to accomplish his PRIMARY responsibility of providing for his family because of his desire to exercise his 2A rights I would have to hit him over the head with something very hard because he'd have gone completely crazy and his priorities need realigning with something akin to a baseball bat.

I say if you have the means and opportunity to make a martyr out of yourself and be a test case go and knock yourself out.

We need the money the job provides.. we need the job.. some principles are a lot more important than others and the principle of providing for family and putting food on the table trumps the principle of being able to carry at work.
    Still waiting to see a "like" from the potential baseball bat recipient...
    limatunes likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links