BAD: Cops Confiscate Lakewood (Ohio) Lady’s Arsenal; Motive Pending

This is a discussion on BAD: Cops Confiscate Lakewood (Ohio) Lady’s Arsenal; Motive Pending within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This is amazing. I hope there is more to this that the story reports but from what the comments on the story say this seems ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: BAD: Cops Confiscate Lakewood (Ohio) Lady’s Arsenal; Motive Pending

This is amazing. I hope there is more to this that the story reports but from what the comments on the story say this seems to be an all to common type of thing the police in Lakewood pull.

This woman had a nice collection of guns. The police somehow found out about it, went to her house, with no search warrant by the way, and found she was not at home. They got the manager of the condo complex to open her unit without her consent ! and they went in and took all of her guns! When she found out, she went to the PD and asked for her guns back. The police acknowledge that the guns were legally owned but will not give them back without a court order!!

I really hope she has a good lawyer and that she bankrupts the city for this!

Cops Confiscate Lakewood Lady’s Arsenal; Motive Pending | Scene and Heard: Scene's News Blog
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

This happened last September and no charges against the woman have been filed? What are they going to do claim the guns are drug related and just keep them like they do when they find cash in someones possession?

Michael

Administrator
    The only circumstances I can up up with would be that maybe she was the subject of a restraining order, was involved in some sort of domestic violence or the weapons were found unsecured by property maintenance whom in turn called police who at that point don't have much of a choice but to secure them guns themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    This happened last September and no charges against the woman have been filed? What are they going to do claim the guns are drug related and just keep them like they do when they find cash in someones possession?

Michael
    Cash and property has to be proven to be drug related before it is forfeited. Which is actually a long and drawn out process, its not as easy has the foil hat crowd would lead you to believe.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I realize that SIXTO. But the story as reported gives no reasons for the confiscation at all. And from the comments section of the story (and I know how those go) this seems to be a place (Lakewood) where this type of thing is not uncommon and where the city government is pretty corrupt.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

VIP Member
    Its near Cleveland - need we say more?
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Administrator
    Yeah, maybe... I only know Lakewood as an outsider. It is an older, but mostly affluent suburb of Cleveland, known to be pretty liberal. A lot of hippies that actually ended up making something of themselves landed in Lakewood. There is also a lot of "old money" in Lakewood. It used to be the place to live for Clevelands mover and shakers, I suppose it still is on some level. It would not surprise me at all if it were some corrupt action in all honesty though. Cleveland isn't exactly known to be the most moral of local governments... and Lakewood is right next door.
    I am very familer with Scene magazine. I do know that Scene magazine is more on par with the "National Enquirer" and caters to the numb skulled young liberal who cares more about the entertainment scene (the magazines namesake) than they do anything else. Historically, "Scene" publishes articles like this to rile up the brain dead.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Historically, "Scene" publishes articles like this to rile up the brain dead.
    True - kinda like City Beat in Cincy. The funny thing is, though, their lawyers are pretty up on the libel laws, so articles like this tend to have legs.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by ksholder View Post
    True - kinda like City Beat in Cincy. The funny thing is, though, their lawyers are pretty up on the libel laws, so articles like this tend to have legs.
    Yes, very much like city beat. And I'm sure their lawyers at least have a good understanding on the 1st amendment, and know that they can get away with a article that is half true because a governmental entity has an extreme up hill battle suing a private entity for libel. (they would have to prove malice, not just negligence... and it would be spending good money on bad anyway, so they just are not going to mess with it most likely) As long as they do not name individuals as perpetrators in actions that did not happen, they are OK.
    "Just blame Sixto"

The only circumstances I can up up with would be that maybe she was the subject of a restraining order, was involved in some sort of domestic violence or the weapons were found unsecured by property maintenance whom in turn called police who at that point don't have much of a choice but to secure them guns themselves.

Cash and property has to be proven to be drug related before it is forfeited. Which is actually a long and drawn out process, its not as easy has the foil hat crowd would lead you to believe.
    Even when the owner is told to sign a waiver or be charged with money laundering as has been done in Texas and Oklahoma?
    http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...ryId=104065589
    Michael

Even when the owner is told to sign a waiver or be charged with money laundering as has been done in Texas and Oklahoma?
    Texas Case May Spur Drug Money Rule Change : NPR
    Michael
    So that story and the accusations were made in 2009. Has the case been resolved yet?
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Administrator
    Texas Case May Spur Drug Money Rule Change : NPR
    Michael

If your not dirty, why would you ever sign a waiver? If your not guilty, let them prove their case.

Know I know a lot of southern states have been known to be a bit shady in their dealings, but then again, I've never known a legit business man to travel with tons of cash and not be able to prove its legit.

And lets get back on topic.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array ArkhmAsylm's Avatar
    -
    A link to the court filing:

http://www.lovelakewood.com/pdf/law/110817_guns.pdf

She (had) a pretty nice collection according to her accounting.
    "Historical examination of the right to bear arms, from English antecedents to the drafting of the Second Amendment, bears proof that the right to bear arms has consistently been, and should still be, construed as an individual right." -- U.S. District Judge Sam Cummings, Re: U.S. vs Emerson (1999)

Administrator
    Here is another thing to think about with this;

Lets say for the sake of our discussion that the police took the guns from this lady for some legit reason. Lets say there was a protection order put out for domestic violence ( I have no idea if this is the case or not, its just an example)
    So the police go and remove the guns from her home, as law says must be done. Now the case never goes to trial. The victim pisses backwards, dies, disappears or whatever... Now these guns are in limbo. The police can't just give them back due to the liability, so they must get a court order. No judge is assigned to the case because its dissolved for lack of prosecution. That leaves our gun lady with one option; sue to get her guns back.

Now we are always quick to assume that a lawsuit means wrongdoing by one party or another. But thats not always the case, as I've illustrated above.
    CaptSmith likes this.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I must say I do not care much for Lakewood. I am one city over. I have lived in both cities surrounding Lakewood(Rocky River and Cleveland) but never in the city. Never want to. My girlfriend is from Lakewood so she gives me enough insight. My parents are both from Lakewood. My father even works for the school there.

Let me start by saying that from what I understand the city is changing. It has old money as sixto stated. It also has a good amount of section 8. From what I have seen, as well as heard from father and girlfriend it is going down hill. Essentially Cleveland is beginning to spill over into Lakewood. I would never live there myself.

I could see the police doing something like this. To my understanding there is a fairly strong drug presence in the city. Not to mention a number of other issues. I recall a stabbing of a high school kid about a block from the school in recent time. The police are kept busy it seems with the drugs, bars, traffic, and other troubles. They are not tolerant of it either. I don't blame them when you have Cleveland next to you. I think they are trying to keep it suburban.

The other side is that hippy aspect. Coffee shops, smoke shops, record stores, and those silly clothing stores. Between the two I am not shocked that they are not gun friendly. I am surprised my girlfriend lets me own guns. She is more that coffee shop crowd. Would rather I support Ecuadorian farmers with fair trade coffee than protect myself and her.

Rant over. Figured I would give a little insight into the city since I live right there.

As an aside she now support my gun ownership. She got scared the other night and was wondering if I had it on me. Also, the store she works at took the no carry sign down! Also, guess who was angry about the 30 round limit on magazines the other day. Wasn't me. Someone wants to unload her 10/22 one some pop cans

VIP Member
    If your not dirty, why would you ever sign a waiver? If your not guilty, let them prove their case.

Know I know a lot of southern states have been known to be a bit shady in their dealings, but then again, I've never known a legit business man to travel with tons of cash and not be able to prove its legit.

And lets get back on topic.
    Pretty sad. Really, why should anyone have to prove why they have money with them? Another example of how the failed drug war and the overdone anti-terror war has distorted our freedom.

When did the burden of proof shift to the accused?
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links