There is no Reciprocity

This is a discussion on There is no Reciprocity within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Firm believer in States rights here. I do not want the people in other States dictating what mine does. Michael...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree69Likes

Thread: There is no Reciprocity

Firm believer in States rights here. I do not want the people in other States dictating what mine does.

Michael
    RugerMak and rhinokrk like this.

2. Remove Ads

Live here in GA. Almost every state around me honers my CCW permit except SC!! Really sucks as Im only several miles away from
    the Savannah River into SC. They reciprocate with fishing licences (if you put boat in on GA side). Dose anyone know if there is a reason why they dont with CCW?

Though I like the idea of national CCW permit reciprocity, I am not in favor of ANY federal legislation that further encroaches on state's rights.

YMMV,
    boomer
    jem102 and RugerMak like this.
    The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. - Thomas Jefferson

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Firm believer in States rights here. I do not want the people in other States dictating what mine does.

Michael
    Happens with just about everything nowadays. You think people in other states, through Congress, haven't told your state exactly what your DL must look like and what documents you need to obtain one?

How come that's OK but insisting on national reciprocity isn't? Choose your battles friend. We'd all gain more from national reciprocity than we could possibly lose. Its not like anyone is saying uncle should issue the license. Just that all licenses should be treated the way things are with LEOSA--- its called courtesy.
    Maybejim likes this.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Happens with just about everything nowadays. You think people in other states, through Congress, haven't told your state exactly what your DL must look like and what documents you need to obtain one?

How come that's OK but insisting on national reciprocity isn't? Choose your battles friend. We'd all gain more from national reciprocity than we could possibly lose. Its not like anyone is saying uncle should issue the license. Just that all licenses should be treated the way things are with LEOSA--- its called courtesy.
    The Fed's may or may not have much input on DL's. I personally think they have little to do with them other than some of the basic DOT qualifications for the OTR truckers and HazMat but they can't stop DL's as it would destroy what's left of the economy...as in stopped dead in it's tracks! I don't know what percentage of Americans hold DL's but I would guess its 70+% of those over 16. They would never wade into that.

As anti-gun as the Fed has proven itself to be over the last 20 years...with maybe 2.5% of those over 21 having a permit...might as well invite the fox to an open hen house..."read my lips"! You can't possibly believe they would leave this alone!?!

LEOSA, not comparing apples to apples VS the majority of posters on this forum. In the process of serving they have made many more mortal enemies than the rest of us combined and deserve a separate system. If for no other reason than their years of training doesn't stop with retirement...they need to be able to apply these skills in stopping situations they will recognize before the average civilian and be able to protect themselves while doing it.

The reciprocity agreements between states are ever improving and the way I think we should go. There are already 5-6 states with basically no carry rights that have massive population bases which translates to a disproportionate control of electoral votes...go figure...
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

am not in favor of ANY federal legislation that further encroaches on state's rights.
    There is not and should not be any "states rights" infringing the Right to Keep and Bear arms. The only Federal law that has been proposed is to require that all states honor all other states Carry Permit. This is similar to Drivers Licenses (and shouldn't require any new law under the Full faith and Credit provision in the Constitution. Like a Driver's License you would have to obey the (unconstitutional) state restrictions on Concealed Carry.

It is insane for anyone who believes in the 2nd Amendment to oppose this step towards actually following it.
    Last edited by Maybejim; September 6th, 2011 at 12:15 PM.
    Maybejim

Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

What you say isn't as important as what the other person hears!

might as well invite the fox to an open hen house..."read my lips"! You can't possibly believe they would leave this alone!?!

They don't need to pass a law to make every state honor other states in order to try to restrict our Right to keep and bear arms. This hysteria is not only illogical but it is insane.
    Maybejim

Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Personally, I dont trust the Federal Government to be able to pour piss out of a boot without splashing it all over the place,which would then require the EPA to classify it as a hazardous waste area,which would require OSHA to oversee the cleanup effort, FEMA bringing in a trailer to make sure that they can get their input in so that they can justify their existance, and then the boot would have to be transported to a hazard waste facility furnace for disposal with guidance from the DOT for proper clearances to transport it, while being taxed by the IRS as a consumable. Nah. I dont want an incompetent anti-American or any appointed Czars telling me when and where I can or cannot defend myself. It could be dealt with very simply, such as the state of Missouri that recognizes ANY permit. Lets keep it at the state level.
    +1

I don't want anyone from Illinois, New York, California, or anyone else for that matter having any voice in the matter of my States policy on any issue, let alone firearms! With all due respect to people who support the Federal Government getting even more control of the 2nd amendment, WAKE UP AND THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU ARE ASKING FOR!!! You are killing us. Any federal law Passed today may seem fluffy and great, but it could be twisted and bent beyond recognition in under 10 years. If you don't like your states laws, get as many like-minded friends and neighbors as you can and bombard all your states representatives. Just stay out of me and mines business.
    JMHO
    RugerMak and jem102 like this.
    Get the U.N. out of the U.S.
    Get the U.S. out of the U.N.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post

Agreed, this would be a good thing to have. We just disagree with who should implement the policy. Wanting the easy way out is what has gotten us where we are. We are all guilty of asking the Feds to step in when we can't get other States to do what we want.

Edit: For those of you old enough to remember this was the same logic used for abortion rights. Abortion was legal in some states and not others. The cry them was that it was not fair and we needed the Feds to step in and force it on all the States. To make it uniform across the nation. Effectively usurping the individual States rights.
    Michael

If you don't think the government can ruin a good thing by getting involved in reciprocity look up the Real ID Act.

All of a sudden if your state didn't get in line with what the feds wanted your DL could be denied as proper identification for boarding a plane. After 2011 if your state isn't compliant then your driver's license isn't worth the plastic it is printed on. you can not use it to get federal services, you can not use it to enter a federal building, and you can be turned away from flights and trains even after you purchase a ticket. The DHS has the right to change the requirements at anytime without the approval of congress.

What use to be a one day process now takes up to 21 business days. Plus hundreds of extra people had to be hired to handle the processing and verification of paper work. What do you think could happen to our CCH permits once the camel's nose was in the tent?
    Remember the teacher telling you to “Bring enough for everybody”? That applies to gunfights, too. ~ Sarge @ Sarge's Roll Call

Quote Originally Posted by Maybejim View Post
    COLOR="#FF0000"]am not in favor of ANY federal legislation that further encroaches on state's rights. [/COLOR]

There is not and should not be any "states rights" infringing the Right to Keep and Bear arms. The only Federal law that has been proposed is to require that all states honor all other states Carry Permit. This is similar to Drivers Licenses (and shouldn't require any new law under the Full faith and Credit provision in the Constitution. Like a Driver's License you would have to obey the (unconstitutional) state restrictions on Concealed Carry.

It is insane for anyone who believes in the 2nd Amendment to oppose this step towards actually following it.
    [QUOTE=Maybejim;2022979]might as well invite the fox to an open hen house..."read my lips"! You can't possibly believe they would leave this alone!?!

"They don't need to pass a law to make every state honor other states in order to try to restrict our Right to keep and bear arms. This hysteria is not only illogical but it is insane."

The definition of insanity, "Do what you have always done, the way you have always done it, expecting different results...
    "I" think the past 20-30 years sums up what happens when the Fed gets involved with, well, anything. Especially anything allowing the citizenry the power and leverage provided by private firearms ownership and the "Right" to carry them in public settings.

Again:
    "The only Federal law that has been proposed is to require that all states honor all other states Carry Permit. This is similar to Drivers Licenses (and shouldn't require any new law under the Full faith and Credit provision in the Constitution."
    "They don't need to pass a law to make every state honor other states in order to try to restrict our Right to keep and bear arms. This hysteria is not only illogical but it is insane."

Well this "purposed law" is exactly what's being discussed here so I'm not sure I follow your (that appear incongruent to "me") statements. Because it "will" take a law, passed by the Fed, to overcome the "hysteria" of going armed in all states by right of one states license for the reasons I stated in my previous post. IMO, once they (Fed's) start down that legislative road...they will run amok with their own power. It becomes a juggernaut out of control... You may call Ruby Ridge an illogical and insane folk tale trumped up by what you obviously consider us "illogical hysterics" but "I" call it a travesty of truth, justice and the American way! Let me recall...where there any Fed's involved in that...Happy "Full faith and Credit provision in the Constitution" to you...They bend what they want when they want by any means possible if it suits the situational irrationality of the current administration.

We will have to agree to disagree. I will vehemently oppose any Federal legislation tendered.
    Lotus222 likes this.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

Support for the Brady Bunch

Quote Originally Posted by rhinokrk View Post
    +1

I don't want anyone from Illinois, New York, California, or anyone else for that matter having any voice in the matter of my States policy on any issue, let alone firearms! With all due respect to people who support the Federal Government getting even more control of the 2nd amendment, WAKE UP AND THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU ARE ASKING FOR!!! You are killing us. Any federal law Passed today may seem fluffy and great, but it could be twisted and bent beyond recognition in under 10 years. If you don't like your states laws, get as many like-minded friends and neighbors as you can and bombard all your states representatives. Just stay out of me and mines business.
    JMHO
    How do you figure the Fed's are affecting your precious State restriction of the Right to keep and bear arms (or lack thereof) by making your state recognize another state's CCW?

I presently have Kalifornia, Oregon, Utah, and Idaho carry permits and am going to add Arizona. The need for that is absolutely insane. If We have to do that for a Carry Permit why don't we have to do that for a Driver's License? Are you afraid the Fed's are going to infringe on your state because the Full credit and faith clause of the Constitution requires your state to recognize all other states? We shouldn't need any law from the Fed's but we do.

The Anti-gun nuts absolutely love the gun owners fighting mandatory recognition of all states carry permits. Opposing this reciprocity is supporting the Brady Bunch.
    Maybejim

Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

If you don't think the government can ruin a good thing by getting involved in reciprocity look up the Real ID Act.

All of a sudden if your state didn't get in line with what the feds wanted your DL could be denied as proper identification for boarding a plane.

And one has absolutely nothing to do with the other. The RealID Act didn't require the absolute necessity of recognizing other states drivers licenses to be put in to effect. If the Fed's want to restrict carry permits (and the SC allows them to get away with it) they will do it, with or without reciprocity.
    Maybejim

Life Member NRA
    Life Member CRPA
    Life Member SASS

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mlr1m View Post
    Agreed, this would be a good thing to have. We just disagree with who should implement the policy. Wanting the easy way out is what has gotten us where we are. We are all guilty of asking the Feds to step in when we can't get other States to do what we want.

Edit: For those of you old enough to remember this was the same logic used for abortion rights. Abortion was legal in some states and not others. The cry them was that it was not fair and we needed the Feds to step in and force it on all the States. To make it uniform across the nation. Effectively usurping the individual States rights.
    Michael
    Look, in the past some states restricted freedom of the press. SO what? First off 2A has now been incorporated. Second, what we are speaking of is nothing less than a form of common courtesy. Texas says I'm married. I'm married in NY. Texas says I can carry a gun. I can't carry a gun in NY. Nevada says I'm divorced. I'm divorced in every state. CT says I can carry, but I can't carry in IL. It is a totally ridiculous situation in a modern and mobile society and one which is easily fixed. Again, LEOSA is the model.

The argument that LEOs and ex LEOs are somehow different because of their training may have merit, but has nothing to do with states rights or common courtesy amongst the states.

If LEOSA is good constitutionally, the law presently proposed should be equally good.

Please folks, don't let extreme ideology get in the way of a good deal for all of us.
    If the Union is once severed, the line of separation will grow wider and wider, and the controversies which are now debated and settled in the halls of legislation will then be tried in fields of battle and determined by the sword.
    Andrew Jackson

Yet another reason to get out of California...
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem."
    Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links