"U.S. Court Rejects Challenge to State's Concealed Gun Law" - Page 2

"U.S. Court Rejects Challenge to State's Concealed Gun Law"

This is a discussion on "U.S. Court Rejects Challenge to State's Concealed Gun Law" within the The Second Amendment & Gun Legislation Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Heller and McDonald were both good decisions, but only small steps on the road to get to the essence of 2A. We must wait until ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: "U.S. Court Rejects Challenge to State's Concealed Gun Law"

Distinguished Member Array Anubis's Avatar
    Heller and McDonald were both good decisions, but only small steps on the road to get to the essence of 2A. We must wait until a ruling explicitly makes being armed for self-defense legal in at least some public circumstance.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    This was foreseeable from the wording of the Heller decision. It was carefully crafted to allow this result.
    Agreed. I did not consider Heller to be the huge win many pro-gunners proclaimed it to be.

Michael

People choose to live in NY, I don't know why. I work there often and always can't wait to get back to Pennsylvania. NY has unbelievably high taxes, bad economy in Upstate and whatever other bad things you can think of for a Nanny state. We are pretty lucky with our firearm laws in PA, although luck may be a poor choice of words. Here in PA, we band together and have made it that way, say Castle Doctrine. New Yorkers should follow suit. Makes it hard for them since they continually elect left wing radicals to rule thier state.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram25 View Post
    Just living in NYC puts you at more risk than the average American citizen.
    no kidding.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

/\/\/\/\....

...and concealed carry crowd recoil at the thought of citizens open carrying a handgun.

Gun owners in this country may number in the tens of millions today, but since 1968 we are still bickering among ourselves.
    Anubis and chiefjason like this.

Well, what many people forget is..... Robert Kennedy and Martin Luther King were both shot and killed in 1968. And, the gun control law that we all love so much was passed as a result, in 1968.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post
    Blame the Supremes. They actually had the opportunity while ruling on Heller to make it clear that the "keep and bear" phrase had two distinct but equally important parts. Instead they really emphasized the "keep" and said nothing to enhance the right to carry. I was afraid that would happen from the moment I read that Scalia and Cheney went bird hunting together in LA.
    Supreme Court cases limit themselves to the facts of the case before them.

The case was about keeping a functional gun at home.

That is the issue decided, and other matters need to wait till a proper case comes before them to rule on it.

That's the way it works.

Heller also didn't address any other fundamental issues such as if the right extends to the states, standard of review or give guidance on what other laws may or may not be upheld/struck down.

Those are for other cases.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    More elitist doublespeak.
    Or projection.

Guns are bad. I don't like guns. If I had a gun I would probably hurt myself or somebody else. So you can't have one.

The attempt at a man made Utopia continues, much to the dismay and consternation of many of us that understand man is incapable of accomplishing it.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

When it comes to guns....

A Conservative doesn't like guns, so he doesn't own one.

A Liberal doesn't like guns, so no one should own one.

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    Well, what many people forget is..... Robert Kennedy and Martin Luther King were both shot and killed in 1968. And, the gun control law that we all love so much was passed as a result, in 1968.
    The mid to late 1960's years were a period of great turmoil in this country. Race riots in major cities, student unrest (take over) on campus, backlash and large demonstrations against the Vietnam war, draft card burning and LBJ with his "Great Society" in office. Lyndon "Ma fellow Americans" Johnson and his Great Society - IE: the great giveaway, the great freebee. The federal government was out to protect us with: Automobile safety devices, motorcycle helmet law, Medicare, increased welfare benefits and -- gun control.

Congress had discussed gun control issues since days of the JFK shooting Warren report. Most USA gun companies favored a restriction on overseas surplus firearms entering this country and the mighty NRA sided with Congress on several issues relating to criminals owning guns. Interarms and other importers were bringing in quality war surplus arms at well below market prices, which ticked off S&W, Colt, High Standard and Ruger.

It's been said that GCA-68 is a mirror of Hitler's 1938 German gun control law.

Anyway, since GCA-68 gun owners in America have been taking baby steps toward restoring our second amendment right.

Quote Originally Posted by Gforty View Post
    Wonder what qualifies as "extraordinary danger"?
    How about the SCOTUS ruling that police have no obligation to protect individual citizens?
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rgbiker View Post
    When it comes to guns....

A Conservative doesn't like guns, so he doesn't own one.

A Liberal doesn't like guns, so no one should own one.
    Except him. Plenty of political anti-gun types carry.

This ruling is no surprise.

Onward and upward through the legal system it will go.

The closer it gets to the SCOTUS (as currently constituted) the better.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by Bubbiesdad View Post
    How about the SCOTUS ruling that police have no obligation to protect individual citizens?
    I believe there was a court ruling in Washington DC many years ago that Police had no obligation to protect individual citizens.
    Came from an incident when two young women phoned for Police just before a perp attacked them. I don't recall what injuries they endured.

Police arrived much later to help clean up the mess.

Quote Originally Posted by rgbiker View Post
    I believe there was a court ruling in Washington DC many years ago that Police had no obligation to protect individual citizens.
    Came from an incident when two young women phoned for Police just before a perp attacked them. I don't recall what injuries they endured.

Police arrived much later to help clean up the mess.
    They, and a third woman endured 14 hours of torture, after a second call to police. Where the dispatcher didn't even bother to send officers. The first officers apparently responded half-heartedly.

The SCOTUS has also spoken.

Justices Rule Police Do Not Have a Constitutional Duty to Protect Someone - New York Times
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon
    Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician.
    Jeff Cooper

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links